ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

John Lennon
October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980
Plastic Ono Mothers at the Fillmore East, June 5, 1971
With Frank Zappa - December 21, 1940 - December 4, 1993

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Journalist in trouble for opening mail (SSC) Return to archive
11-30-03 09:05 PM
CS Journalist in trouble for opening mail
01 December 2003

A New Zealand Listener journalist is in trouble for opening the mail of a musician who played with the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

Steve Braunias says the letter was among others in his post office box.

Braunias wrote an amusing story for the magazine, saying the royalty cheque for $84 that the letter included made him "suddenly remember" he had been a famous musician in the 1970s.

But musician Jon Mark says he will prosecute for breach of privacy.

The story said the $US52.75 cheque ($NZ84) was for playing on two John Mayall albums and mentioned the London firm that posted it and the New York bank it was drawn on.

Mark, formerly from England but now living in Taupo, said those details were disclosed "not just to an individual but to the world, and I don't like being (dumped) on".

The 60-year-old complained to police, New Zealand Post and the Listener. "I don't need the publicity," Mark said. "I'm not some pathetic, ageing rock star. I just don't want people opening my mail."

The story ended with a sentence asking the real Mark to contact the Listener for the cheque.

Braunias said he posted the cheque to Mark and did not mean to open his mail. "I bowled along to the post box, ripped 'em all open, then thought, 'What the hell is this?'".

The mix-up occurred because Braunias inherited Mark's post office box on shifting to Eastbourne, Wellington.
11-30-03 10:17 PM
SHINE A LIGHT poor guy, i don't want people opening MY mail either.
11-30-03 10:39 PM
glencar A tempest in a teapot.
11-30-03 11:41 PM
Prodigal Son Hmmm, who could this cheque be for? My guess is Nicky Hopkins. He played on "Revolution". Or maybe Billy Preston.
11-30-03 11:44 PM
stonedinaustralia PS - the cheque was for this Jon Mark dude - whoever he may be

12-01-03 02:08 AM
Prodigal Son Oh yeah, I missed the name. I guess I was looking for a name that looked familiar but Jon Mark? Oooh, I remember reading he played in an orchestra or brass section on a Beatles recording in the Revolution in the Head book. He must've done the same with a 1967-era Stones song.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]