ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

John Lennon
October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980
Plastic Ono Mothers at the Fillmore East, June 5, 1971
With Frank Zappa - December 21, 1940 - December 4, 1993

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DVD Recorders Return to archive
11-26-03 07:57 AM
Factory Girl What is the difference btwn DVD+R and DVD-R? Which one is better and why? TIA!
11-26-03 08:04 AM
BillyBoll Don't know the answer to that one but would like to.

Does anyone have any thoughts on stand-alone copiers against computer internal ones?
11-26-03 08:18 AM
egon they are slightly different standards.

but go with "+", which is already winning the race and can read "-". (there are more technical advantages)
more manufacturers make "+" than "-"

also phillips/vertabin/mitsubitshi have just brought out dvds on which u can burn 4 layers instead of 2 (meaning double storage). (in the "+" format)

[Edited by egon]
11-26-03 08:26 AM
egon http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

http://www.dvdrw.com/

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

http://www.customflix.com/Customer/Compatibility.jsp

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/compatibilitylist_dvdvideo.html
11-26-03 08:46 AM
Factory Girl Can I burn cds on a dvd recorder?
11-26-03 08:59 AM
egon yes, it burns whatever you want (cd, dvd, divix, data etc)

the "minus"/"plus" thing is a bit like back in the 80s
with betamax, vhs and video2000.

only this time it seems the best system WILL win.
11-26-03 10:43 AM
Jumping Jack Almost all the new computers are built with +R burners because they are the most compatible. I burn +R and no one with a -R player has ever had a compatibility problem.
11-26-03 10:59 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Almost all the new computers are built with +R burners because they are the most compatible. I burn +R and no one with a -R player has ever had a compatibility problem.

I've heard a number of times that DVD+R is not compatible with many DVD players. Most people who do this sort of thing for a living use Macs, and use DVD-R. DVD+R is more for data storage, DVD-R is for film and video.
11-26-03 11:05 AM
Jumping Jack Probably heard it from someone with a -R burner that doesn't know their stuff.

I have burned over 300 DVD for folks around the world in the past few months and not had a problem with the +R format. First hand experience, not a heard stories. Crappy white Princo disks and cheap media are another story though.

Always use good quality disks!
11-26-03 11:16 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Probably heard it from someone with a -R burner that doesn't know their stuff.

I have burned over 300 DVD for folks around the world in the past few months and not had a problem with the +R format. First hand experience, not a heard stories. Crappy white Princo disks and cheap media are another story though.

Always use good quality disks!

Professionally? Or trading boots? PAL or NTSC? I'm a filmmaker - do this for a living. Everyone I know in the US uses DVD-R, as far as I know. I have a bunch of demos from other filmmakers and they are DVD-R. I think DVD+R is being pushed on the consumer level - but when I went around pricing new computers (and I spoke to a lot of people) - I was basically told across the board that what I needed was a Mac because it uses DVD-R. All the new PCs are doing DVD+R, and claiming to be as advanced with graphics as the Mac - but even the guys at Best Buy said it's not true.

Not trying to argue here - if you have any more info - it would be interesting to read.
11-26-03 11:29 AM
scope Just my 2 cents on this. I have researched which burner to get for my personal use and I remember reading that DVD-R was a slim winner over +R in compatibility among various players. It was very close. That being said, I plan on buying a dual recorder, so I can go both ways
11-26-03 11:30 AM
Jumping Jack I am talking as a consumer trading boots on PCs not Macs, and NTSC. The cost of a +R reader/writer that reads PAL and NTSC was about $150, pretty darn cheap.

Mac vs. PCs? I'll stay away from that discussion.

I will bet in a few years the vast majority of boots will be traded on +Rs as consumers upgrade their PCs with built in DVD burners.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Hope it helps.
11-26-03 11:34 AM
Factory Girl What about stand-alone DVD recorders? DVD-R vs. DVD+R?
11-26-03 11:40 AM
egon u mean made for pc's or for the living room?

cos i would not buy a dvd RECORDER for the living room
11-26-03 12:03 PM
Dandelion*
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
What about stand-alone DVD recorders? DVD-R vs. DVD+R?

I would stay away from those. For one thing - unless you get one with a firewire or ilink capacity and are loading in dv video from either a camcorder or dv (digital video) player - you will be dealing with an analog signal and will not get exact duplicates. Anything media you load in any other way will go through compression and be of lower resolution on the copy. Not as bad as losing a generation through VHS - but not good.

Jumping Jack-
"I am talking as a consumer trading boots on PCs not Macs, and NTSC. The cost of a +R reader/writer that reads PAL and NTSC was about $150, pretty darn cheap.

Mac vs. PCs? I'll stay away from that discussion.

I will bet in a few years the vast majority of boots will be traded on +Rs as consumers upgrade their PCs with built in DVD burners.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Hope it helps."

You are probably right for your use. It depends on what FG wants a burner for. If she's trading, then what you are talking about would be best. If she's producing - what I'm suggesting would be the way to go.
11-26-03 12:41 PM
Factory Girl Yes, I was considering a stand-alone recorder (for my living room). I'd like to be able to copy from "drawer to drawer".
11-26-03 09:50 PM
egon you can't. in order to copy a official dvd you need to crack the protection. you will need to do this on a PC with special software.

most dvd's have a protection, thus can never be copied straight away...
11-27-03 03:23 PM
SHINE A LIGHT thanks to ALL of you above. we have a new dvd/video thing, but i'm afraid it's what you folks called the"living room" species.i was just happy it played the 4 flix ok. thanks again for your knowledge!
11-28-03 06:08 AM
egon
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
i was just happy it played the 4 flix ok.

what more does one want?

11-28-03 06:56 AM
Factory Girl Shiney, do you have a recorder ot a dvd/vcr player?
11-28-03 07:40 AM
SHINE A LIGHT hi fg...well it's both a dvd and video player,but it also records ,too.i think!!!!!!
we bought it just in time for the 4 flix, so we haven't much time to investigate. it did all the things the 4 flix provided, so i'm a very happy person.(can you tell what my motivation in life is????????)
11-28-03 08:23 AM
Factory Girl Hi Shiney, what is the brand?
Tomorrow, I'll go check out the dvd recorders. Must do reseach before such a big purchase.
11-28-03 08:44 AM
egon don't buy a recorder... don't do it!
11-28-03 09:06 AM
SHINE A LIGHT well i know the answer to this one,it's a sony. and it was "middle of the road "expensive.
i also know that it will copy a tv show on the video, while we're watching the dvds.
does that tell you much?????
ps. thanks for the concern AND info.
12-01-03 10:33 AM
scope FG, I thought you were talking PC burners. As for stand-alones, I have the Panasonic DMR-E80. My good Hi-Fi VCR crapped out and instead of replacing it, I went for the recorder. This model has a built in hard drive that let's me record programs and burn later (to DVD-R) if I choose. I haven't burned and shared the copy with anyone else yet, so I can't speak for compatibility on other players. It's a bit pricey, but there are some good deals online.

I appreciate what Dande and others are saying, but this suits my purposes and gets me away from all those tapes that sometimes have a habit of jamming up.
12-01-03 01:02 PM
glencar How much longer will videotape last?

As an early Betamax man, I regret losing that form.