ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

John Lennon
October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980
Plastic Ono Mothers at the Fillmore East, June 5, 1971
With Frank Zappa - December 21, 1940 - December 4, 1993

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: England win Rugby World Cup Return to archive
11-22-03 07:22 AM
stewed & Keefed :
11-22-03 08:05 AM
Hannalee Don't know about you, but I shall need the rest of the weekend to recover

The English are noble, the English are nice,
and worth any other at double the price!

Flanders & Swann, A song of Patriotic Prejudice

11-22-03 08:44 AM
stewed & Keefed getting drunk as we speak
11-22-03 08:52 AM
stewed & Keefed Australia 17-20 England
11-22-03 10:12 AM
BillyBoll What a fantastic game. Although the rugby wasnt brilliant it was a momentous occasion and Jonny did the business.

The quote was "Is that all you have" well the response must be "well, it was enough!!!"

Here's to our boys.
11-22-03 12:18 PM
Scot Rocks Well done, I did not want the Aussies to win after they way they have talked about the England team.

11-22-03 04:40 PM
Gazza Ditto...England did their talking where it mattered - on the pitch - and won with class.

It really takes something to get me out of bed on a Saturday morning.

Great performance by England, delighted they won.

"Go Johnny Go Go Go-Go"
11-22-03 05:15 PM
Kjell The best team dosn't always win.
The final is always the best match.
It's no point playing for 3rd or 4th.
Some day maybe Sweden will kick arses.
1 point for penaltry kicks.
Tries are awsome.
All Blacks haka is cool.
Jonny Wilkinson looks a bit gay.
10 points to all fans.
20 points to rugby fans acting like team fans.
Nicest the Romania/Namibia match in Tasmania with either support depending on born on even day or not.
Tonga, Samoa and maybe some other teams need some money for next RWC.
Next to Icehocky Rugby Rules.
stewed & keefed has done great rugby posting.
Kiwis are pissed and don't wanna talk about Rugby for a while.

Cheers to England even if it hurts.
11-22-03 07:13 PM
Madafaka Congrats!
11-22-03 10:59 PM
fmk438j Congratlations to England. I'm no fan of Rugby and haven't followed it all that closely so I don't know what Aussie jibe you're talking about, but definitely arragonce in Australian team/teams that needs to be beaten out of them. Should shut a few people up.

[Edited by fmk438j]
11-23-03 06:27 AM
glencar Good for you Limeys!
11-25-03 04:55 AM
stewed & Keefed England rugby heroes arrive home

Welcome stuns England stars
England's victorious Rugby World Cup team received a heroes' welcome from thousands of fans as they returned home from Australia on Tuesday.

The squad landed at London's Heathrow Airport at 0435GMT and were given a rapturous reception when they emerged from their plane 20 minutes later.

Captain Martin Johnson, grasping the William Webb Ellis Trophy, was the first to appear and was greeted with a deafening rendition of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", England's unofficial anthem.

He was closely followed by coach Clive Woodward and fly-half Jonny Wilkinson, who secured England's triumph in Saturday's final against Australia by slotting a last-gasp drop goal.

I'm overawed by the support - its hugely humbling and massively uplifting. The guys all appreciate that more than they can put into words

There was a huge roar as the England party were led through passport control and into the arrivals hall by Woodward.

He said: "I'm certainly proud to be English and very glad to be home. HeaJonny Wilkinson on England's reception at throw airport

"I'd just like to say a big thank you to all those people who got up so early. I've never seen anything like it - it's just fantastic."

Scrum-half Matt Dawson described the reception as "mindblowing".

Plans are already underway to mark England's triumph, including a reception at Downing Street.

A victory parade in London also looks a certainty, although the Rugby Football Union said it would probably be well into next week before that could take place.

England beat Australia 20-17 in a thrilling final thanks to Wilkinson's drop goal with just 26 seconds left of extra-time.

Wilkinson has already been named player of the year by the International Rugby Board but is expected to pick up further honours.

He is favourite to become the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year and has also been made a freeman of Newcastle-upon-Tyne by the city council.

But the 24-year-old Wilkinson told a media conference at the England team's hotel in Surrey: "I want to continue being myself.

"I'm after a bit of peace and quiet. I want to get back now to be with my family, where I feel totally comfortable and totally myself."

At the same media session, Johnson, 33, meanwhile said he would take time to reflect before deciding on his playing future.

"People have been asking me [about retirement] for 18 months," he said. "It's not the time to make that decision now."

Woodward and Johnson have also earned plenty of plaudits for their role in England's World Cup win and there is mounting speculation both will be knighted in the New Year.

The RFU is planning its own celebrations and has organised a match against the New Zealand Barbarians at Twickenham on 20 December.

It will provide an opportunity for supporters to pack HQ, although it is unclear at this stage what sort of team Woodward will parade.

Most of the players will have returned to action long before then. Some may even play for their clubs this weekend.

11-25-03 05:53 AM
Zeeta I bumped into Clive James after the match in Borough market! I told him that "the best team won" he just laughed begrudgingly! The man took it well!
11-25-03 07:04 AM
Jumacfly which cup are U talking about??
11-26-03 06:28 PM
stewed & Keefed Date set for England celebration

England will mark their Rugby World Cup success with an open-top bus tour through central London on Monday, 8 December.
The day will end with an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace and a Downing Street reception with the Prime Minister.

England beat Australia 20-17 on Saturday to win the World Cup for the first time.

The tour will begin at 1200 GMT at Marble Arch, proceed down Oxford Street and turn right into Regent Street.

The two buses will then travel down Haymarket and are expected to reach Trafalgar Square at 1300 GMT.

The squad and management will attend a reception with members and staff of the Rugby Football Union's Council before going on to have an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

That will be followed by a reception with Tony Blair.

11-26-03 07:01 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
Well done, I did not want the Aussies to win after they way they have talked about the England team.

well it was really only certain sections of the press

congratulations to england - it was a tremendous match and the better team won (just)

i'm glad you lot are enjoying the victory - it has been a long time between drinks for you - 'tho don't forget you did win that ashes series in the cricket circa '85 - '86 - there's no doubt we really hated that - in fact that defeat was a great motivator to the australian team becoming the force it is today

cheers