ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, September 16, 2002
By Roostah and/or PhilA aka SparksWILLFly!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Blues Return to archive
12-01-02 07:54 PM
keefa I am just getting into the blues and i want to by some CD's. Any suggestions?
12-01-02 08:06 PM
sasca I'm also just getting into it, so this should be useful for me too. 'The Immortal Elmore James, King of the Bottleneck Blues' on the Music Club label and 'Robert Johnson: The Complete Recordings' on CBS to start with?
12-01-02 08:23 PM
Jaxx
quote:
sasca wrote:
'Robert Johnson: The Complete Recordings' on CBS to start with?

robert johnson is a must for that collection. how blue do you wanna go? etta james, billie holiday, janis joplin. those are some of my female favorites.
12-01-02 08:25 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl For "easy listening"
  • Electric Mud by Muddy Waters.
  • Blues by Jimi Hendrix.
  • Fleetwood Mac in Chicago. (or the first or the Boston Box)
  • A stone's throw by Mick Taylor
  • Blues From Laurel Canyon by John Mayall (also jazz-blues fussion or any of the 60s or the 90s like sense of a place, wake up call, Padlock with the blues)
  • Savoy Brown 1 by Savoy Brown (hard to find)
  • Peter Green (The Best... is a great selection)
  • J. Geils Band by J. Geils Band, this is their first album and is great)
  • Any Live album by Mick Taylor
  • Melvin Taylor (any, check Melvin plays the Blues)
  • Blues by Eric Clapton
  • Eric Clapton with B.B. King. is Commercial Blues but great anyway
  • Willie Dixon - Hidden Charms (fantastic, his last one I think)
  • Canned Heat by Canned Heat
  • Taj Mahal - Shoutin' in Key
  • Paint it Blue - This AIn't no tribute songs of the Rolling Stones - House of Blues
  • Hot Tuna Live or Pair a Dice Found
  • J. L. Hooker & Canned Heat Live
  • Freddy King My feeling for the blues
  • Chicken Shack Unlucky Boy
  • Bug Henderson and the Shuffle Kings
  • Robben Ford - Discovering the Blues (that's why you wanna do!)

12-01-02 08:27 PM
Scot Rocks Thanks, I was wondering about this question too. I was always wondering to look for after Clapton.

Cheers

Regards

Mark

12-01-02 09:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Some mo'

• Muddy and the Wolf with Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts
  • The Animals with Sonny Boy Williamson
  • The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions with Stu, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan... any... if you don't have one buy the 3Cd and one DVD box with the same name "Stevie Ray Vaughan and double trouble"
  • Johnny Winter 1, Second Winter and many others
  • Rory Gallagher Live in Europe
  • Taste On the boards
  • Paul Butterfield Blues Band Live 1965-1966
  • Elmore James Got to move

"Not easy listening"

• Groundhogs - Blues Obituary... be sure you momma don't listen or will send you to a mental institution.
  • Anthology of the Blues - Blues from the Deep South
  • Muddy Waters - Rare and unissued

12-01-02 09:08 PM
keefa Thanks, that should keep me busy for a while!

I dont know how to classify easy or hard listening, but im looking for what you might hear way down south late at night in a dim, smokey blues club
12-01-02 11:42 PM
throbby Don't forget
Muddy Waters-Folk Singer (a great record)
Bukka White (Led Zeppelin nicked much from this man)
John Lee Hooker-The Country Blues (excellent)
Mississippi Fred McDowell "I do not play no rock'n'roll"
Sonny Boy Williamson(the original)-Shotgun Blues
Charley Patton/Blind Lemon Jefferson-Blue on Blues

if the above don't put you in a smokey bar in the deep south nothing will.

Little Walter
Howlin Wolf
Jimmy Reed
Rice Miller (also Known as Sonny Boy williamson #2)

what do ya think of this line from an obscure female blues singer from the thirties.

"I got nipples big around as yo' thumb, got something between my legs make a dead man come"
12-02-02 02:07 AM
gypsymofo60 Robert Johnson, Son House, Bukka White, Leadbelly, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Howlin'Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Little Walter. If you can pick up anthologies from these guys that's always a good starting place. There are loads of good various artists compilations too. I'm not Au-fait with modern blues post 60s, but Clapton, and John Mayall are a must, as is Charlie Musslewaite for all those like me who dig harmonica. I'm told by reliable sources that John Spencer is also very good.
12-02-02 02:58 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
I'm told by reliable sources that John Spencer is also very good.

i think he is - but despite the band's name they're not really "blues" - they do, however, play a great brand of rock 'n' roll (imho)
12-02-02 04:53 AM
F505 Don't forget Hound Dog Taylor: absolute brilliant!
A ass pocket of whisky (Jon Spencer with R.L. Burnside) is a strange punk-blues record but nevertheless agreeable.
[Edited by F505]
12-02-02 11:02 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
throbby wrote:

what do ya think of this line from an obscure female blues singer from the thirties.

"I got nipples big around as yo' thumb, got something between my legs make a dead man come"

I think you better shave 'em dry.

12-02-02 12:43 PM
Fiji Joe A more contemporary and therefore, an easier leap for someone listening to rock who wants to experiment with the blues...try John Lee Hooker's "Mr. Lucky"
12-02-02 12:52 PM
moy poor keefa with such a big list of recommendations she won't be able to pick one, i suggest that being a stones fan start with side three of love you live and jamming with edward, in fact the stones are a very good intro to blues
12-02-02 01:22 PM
Maxlugar I've been listening to a lot of T-Bone Walker lately.

Makes me drink.

Maxy Maxy, The man who needs a Taxi!
12-02-02 01:46 PM
Joey " I've been listening to a lot of T-Bone Walker lately. "

So have I my Long Island living , taking the train to work- ing , eighth street for lunching , mooning the CNN Paula Zahn show every morn - ing , Manhattan slaving , rice eating , vertical letter printing , " Tora Tora Tora " shouting , granola crunching , inexplicable Afro in ' 70's sporting , at first sight of Bill Clinton ejaculating pal .

The Wall Was Just Warmed Over Arthur !!!!!!

YES !!!!!!!

" Shall I put on some ' Sticky Fingers ' she purred ????? ' Come to Joey ' I said to her Ronnie "

J. Bo

{{{{{{{{{{{{ SNAGGLE }}}}}}}}}}}}}

12-02-02 02:01 PM
JumpinJackFlash Those are all good, also Mississippi Fred Mc Dowell's 'you got to move", and others, as well as John Hammond, RY Cooder, taj mahal, do a search on the time life blues essentials, there's a whole whack of them.
12-02-02 02:43 PM
Nasty Habits Mississippi John Hurt's 1928 Session CD on the YAZOO Label is probably the most purely beautiful blues CD I know about.

12-02-02 03:18 PM
Maxlugar Yo Nasty, I got your Cunt-ry stuff the other day. I have not yet played it but I know it will rule. LA '75 and some '76 stuff will be going your way by the end of the week.

Yesir!

Macksee!
12-02-02 04:18 PM
FPM C10
quote:
moy wrote:
...i suggest that being a stones fan start with side three of love you live and jamming with edward, in fact the stones are a very good intro to blues

I think Keefa has perhaps already done that...but you're right. I READ about the blues before I actually heard them (there were no stores selling blues albums within 100 miles of me when I was a kid) and was driven, as kids will be, by curiosity. The thing that flipped my blues button into the upright position was hearing "Prodigal Son" on Beggar's Banquet for the first time. "THAT," I said, "evidently, is the BLUES." Ditto for "You Got To Move." Speaking of which, someone suggested "I Do Not Play No Rock & Roll" by Mississippi Fred McDowell - it's a recording of his last gig, I think, so it was recorded AFTER the Stones covered "You Got To Move." It is a spine-chilling rendition. In fact, it's the Stones that the title refers to...a lot of people just wanted to hear Fred "do that Stones song."

12-02-02 11:47 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i think he is - but despite the band's name they're not really "blues" - they do, however, play a great brand of rock 'n' roll (imho)

I haven't heard a great deal of his stuff, I liked that Get Down Lover that Triple J were playing a few years back though. So those experts who were describing him to me as a blues purist must be talking out thier arses again, I'll have to get listening.
12-03-02 12:19 AM
Nasty Habits If you're gonna start listening to the Blues Explosion, I'd start with the album ORANGE. Orange is the JSBXE at their funniest, and most swaggering. It is full of great rock and roll in jokes, cool riffs, and perfect attitude. People into false humility should stay away from Blues Explosion in general and Orange in particular -- rather than songs per se it's basically Jon Spencer ranting about how cool he is for 40 mintes, set to various rock vamps. And it's catchy, addictive and hilarious and it encourages repeated listenings. If you want to hear what the Rolling Stones might have sounded like if they had decided that the Beastie Boys had all the answers on License to Ill and made a record about it, this is probably it.

All the LPs have good tracks - but ORANGE works best as an entire record. Crypt Style is my second favorite, because it's just pure blues/rock/roll attack. You could do worse than Extra Width, Now I Got Worry, and the new one, Plastic Fang, which is actually quite Stonesy in its finer moments. I would avoid ACME and EXTRA ACME. They seemed to do a lot to damage the #1 Blues Band in the country's reputation.

The Blues Explosion are definitely NOT a blues band. If they are trying to be a blues band, they truly suck at it. As a rock and roll band, they don't suck.

Fred McDowell does not play no rock and roll, and Blues Explosion do not play no blues.

My mother was Sister Ray!
12-03-02 12:35 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Good idea...

Hey Keefa, if you want there's a blues compilation - stones only made by members of the C10/gasx3, I can send it to you if you want it. Free
12-03-02 04:39 AM
gypsymofo60 Hey Nasty! Thanks for the info on JSBEX. I'll definately check a couple of those out at least, cheers!
12-03-02 05:17 AM
beer
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Good idea...

Hey Keefa, if you want there's a blues compilation - stones only made by members of the C10/gasx3, I can send it to you if you want it. Free

Hey Voodoo, just wondering, what's the song list for that blues compilation of the Stones?