ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, September 16, 2002
By Roostah and/or PhilA aka SparksWILLFly!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Officials of the Stones-PLEASE READ!!! Return to archive
11-29-02 08:08 PM
BigMac Since official people of the Stones read the website frequently, I figured I'd give me two cents worth.
Things to do to please the fans while still making a buck or two:

#1- Create a section on the official website offering each of the 40 Licks show's soundboard recording with no overdubs. Make a generic cover for each show and sell for 10.00 a piece. NO AUDIENCE recordings, only "official soundboards" of the shows.

#2- Release a double-disc DVD of the tour with highlights from various stops on the tour, backstage stuff, kinda like a mini-documentary. The second disc can be the entire MSG show from January 18th.

#3- Get the ABKCO leaders and Virgin leaders to meet and combine efforts on an Anthology series of their entire career, much like they did for 40 Licks. Release a DVD set chronologically of the History of the Stones much like 25 x 5. With the DVD, release a 6 disc boxset (or 3 double-discs) of nothing but live songs, outakes, and unreleased tracks. DON'T WAIT UNTIL ONE OF THEM DIES OFF OR RETIRES. This band will exist forever. Each double disc should be decided by the three guitarists who were opposite of Keef. One double disc should be nothing but 1964-1968 with Jones.

For the Taylor years, must include soundboard recordings of songs not released on the Ya-Ya's album from 69 (Mainly what we see in the documentary of Gimme Shelter, unless better versions are available from other shows in the tour. We know they are in a vault somewhere, so let us have them. Under My Thumb, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, I'm Free, Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move, as well as studio outtakes of the early versions of Brown Sugar, Wild Horses & Loving Cup, etc.., must also include the version of Jumping Jack Flash from the movie- it is the better version, why it didn't make it on Ya-Ya's I'll never know.)Must also include the entire Brussels show from 1973 in it with the most updated mastering done by Bob Ludwig, or whomever the guy was that did all the remastering.If you have to make this a three-disc set, I won't mind at all.

The other double-disc can be the Ronnie years.

This I think will truly satisfy all the fans, especially me.

Thanks for your time, Brian- BigMac
11-29-02 08:45 PM
JumpinJackFlash Ok, i'll get right on it, ha. But seriously, I read in a guitar magazine that they are planning a box set down the road. I imagine all these thing's will pop up eventually, can't forget they are a marketing machine as well, but thems are damn good ideas.
11-29-02 11:20 PM
full moon That made me hard!!!!!!!! Great ideas...
11-29-02 11:44 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well, yeah, there're some great ideas there.

But the whole thing is - we're the fans. We pay to see these guys. We have no right to make individual "demands" of them. We can't say "This is what I, die-hard Stones fan, want to hear/see, and fuck everyone else." They have to work in the casual War Horses market and even (*gasp*!) the group that has never heard the Stones before or hasn't paid much attention to them.

While it would be great to have a box set, a six-disc set with the outline determined by guitarist and saying "It *must* include The Brussels Affair"? I don't think so. No one's gonna *must* include everything. Granted, I haven't heard The Brussels Affair (another *gasp*!... I haven't got Handsome Girls either... damn.), but I don't think they're gonna devote an entire disc to just one show. They'll take the best performances from the best shows of famous songs if anything. The bottom line is, a die-hard fan set with all rarities and no War Horses will not sell.

Although it would be nice. I'd buy it. But it ain't gonna happen. And I think the people who read this board are people making sure we don't post Mick's cell phone number or something like that.

-tSYX
11-29-02 11:50 PM
full moon Actually, a box set is so extensive and expensive that it is geared to more die hards.. So, that is a good thing...
11-30-02 01:03 AM
CousinCocaine Unfortunately the Stones have never been a people/fans band, - so some things just won't happen . .

But I would love to finally see some of the Brian and even more M.Taylor live and studio stuff !
CC
11-30-02 01:10 AM
fmk438j All great things will happen eventually. If it takes 20 years, it will happen.

I wonder if it will get more or less complicated with the passing on of the ownership of the stone's empire. Maybe more of a struggle than ever with too many interest parties.
12-02-02 03:46 PM
mikecooper I have been saying the stones need to sell a sb of each show for years like Peral Jam did!

I would buy almost all of them and or I know that they would sell abunch of them.
12-02-02 06:18 PM
100 Years Ago a box set will take some doin' none of them seem very into such an undertaking but if the Stones released an alternate 40 Licks made up of only alt versions of warhorses, studio outtakes and some choice b-sides and it would be a multi-million seller. That's something they could do call it, 40 More Licks or something. Not to say I wouldn't salivate like pavlovs dog over a box set just probably not realistic for several years.
12-02-02 09:15 PM
Child of the Moon Well, if Bob Dylan can get away with issuing entire albums of single concerts, I think the Stones should be more than able to. Just look at "The Bootleg Series." The newest release is an entire show from '75. I plan on buying it. RS magazine gave it a great grade. What's not to enjoy?

Yes, the Stones have to keep a commercial mindset, but I don't think it would hurt them to make some of their more die-hard fans happy. Shit, I bet Dylan just puts out that stuff because he WANTS TO. Why worry about how much it'll make? It's all about quality, not quantity.

Just think... "The Rolling Stones: Bootleg Series."
Volume 1: "A Brussels Affair - Brussels, Belgium, 1973"
Volume 2: "Handsome Girls - The 1978 Tour"
Volume 3: "Live'R Than You'll Ever Be - Oakland, '69"
Volume 4: "Unreleased Decca Live Album - Philly '72"

Subsequent volumes would iclude the cream of the live crop (Madrid '90, Hampton '81, AC '89, Argentina '98, Paradiso '95, and maybe a compilation of stuff from '66 and '67), and then they could put together studio stuff.

I can dream, right?
12-02-02 09:18 PM
full moon It is more than possible if someone would get off thier fucking asses...
12-02-02 10:48 PM
Boomhauer A boxed set will probably happen when jb turns into a Beatles fan.

NEVER!
12-03-02 02:11 AM
100 Years Ago yeah a bootleg series for the Stones makes a helluva lotta sense. they could even start their own small label and release those types of discs, something separate from Virgin, hell, probably better than Virgin cause they'd fuck it by underpromtion anyways. there really is no reason for the Stones not to do their own version of the bootleg series.
12-03-02 03:41 AM
Richard Hurrah If it's request time, I'd request that RS.com become completely free. It's one of the few official band site I know that's paying. Don't they already make enough money otherwise ?
12-03-02 08:14 AM
Boomhauer Yeah, that's true. People that paid $90 are the ones that get to see some of the cool stuff. They must be special.
12-03-02 10:51 AM
jb We would also like to have all leftover groupies available at discount prices.
12-03-02 02:15 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Just look at "The Bootleg Series." The newest release is an entire show from '75.

It's actually comprised of songs from 4 shows - Montreal (12/4/75), Cambridge (11/20/75) & Boston (11/21/75 - both shows).
Here's the tracklisting. The damn thing's been pushed to a 10th December release here now.

DISC 1

1. TONIGHT I'LL BE STAYING HERE WITH YOU
Forum de Montreal, Montreal, CAN; 12/4/75

2. IT AIN'T ME, BABE
Harvard Square Theatre, Cambridge, MA; 11/20/75

3. A HARD RAIN'S A-GONNA FALL
Forum de Montreal, Montreal, CAN; 12/4/75

4. THE LONESOME DEATH OF HATTIE
CARROLL
Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA; 11/21/75 (second
show)

5. ROMANCE IN DURANGO