ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, September 16, 2002
By Roostah and/or PhilA aka SparksWILLFly!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1 year after George Harrison's Death ==> The George Harrison - Rolling Stones connections inside! Return to archive
11-29-02 07:40 PM
stone jr. George Harrison,58 died last year Nov.29. Today, We celebrate 1 year after his death. Dhani and Jeff Lyyne have realesed "Brainwashed" on Nov.19. I got the album today. I have not listened to the whole thing but I will. God Bless you George Harrison!
11-29-02 08:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks for the reminder and also thanks to Martha who did it inside her message in other thread.

Now is time to look at the archives. Click the image and find all or almost all the connections of George Harrison and the Rolling Stones, that image is the only one missing in that thread as the link is different and the archives cannot be modified. So here it is back to life.

Jeff Christensen

If you know more connections please post them here!!!
11-29-02 09:08 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy 1969 - The Beatles's "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" is released as a B-Side to "Let It Be". It features Brian Jones on the saxaphone. A full uncut version of his sax performance is restored and presented (along with the rest of the song) in stereo on "Anthology 2", although they do butcher the final section's vocal part for some unknown reason.

-tSYX --- He's a far east man...
11-29-02 10:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This has been discussed here several times, serious researches have denied that contribution of Brian, maybe he was in the sessions but the take used for the single has no Brian. I'm not sure as I was not there... I wish I could, I want to go back in time and space to verify it.

11-29-02 10:44 PM
beer Mcartney and Ringo both have said that Brian played sax on it. I saw Ringo confirm it on an episode of Howard Stern of all places. Paul is qouted saying it in Bill's new book, I think.
11-29-02 10:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
beer wrote:
Mcartney and Ringo both have said that Brian played sax on it. I saw Ringo confirm it on an episode of Howard Stern of all places. Paul is qouted saying it in Bill's new book, I think.

Who da fuck are Paul and Ringo?

I trust Nico
11-29-02 11:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I double checked it; in the original message one year ago I wrote:

1967: Mick Jagger records with the Beatles Baby You're A Rich Man. Mick jagger and Keith Richards record backing vocals for All You Need Is Love. There are unconfirmed rumours about Brian Jones playing sax on Baby You're A Rich Man.
11-29-02 11:33 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
This has been discussed here several times, serious researches have denied that contribution of Brian, maybe he was in the sessions but the take used for the single has no Brian. I'm not sure as I was not there... I wish I could, I want to go back in time and space to verify it.

Yeah, I went back and listened - the original single has *no Brian*. However, the extended version on Anthology 2 (released 1996 under the supervision of Paul, George & Ringo) features the entire Brian section (where it sounds like they're poking a bit of fun at poor George). He plays a pretty silly sax part, but McCartney & Lennon were both looking for it. I think it was recorded as early as '67 - I know the vocals were added in '69.

-tSYX --- Better look up the number...
11-29-02 11:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Cool! I trust you now, maybe it will be cool to send the evidence to Nico. However, sometimes the producer give credits to people not involved.

Just to give you an example, the inner sleeve of Jimi Hendrix "South Saturn Delta" has Brian Jones credited on Bob Dylan's All along the Watchtower, when he is not in that take as confirmed by Eddie Kramer and Noel Redding in the movie "Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - Recounting the Music of a Legendary Music Recording" Rhino Home Video Classic Albums Series. R3 2386.

this is one excerpt from our space for Jimi:

Brian attended the Electric Ladyland recording sessions at the Olympic Sound Studios in London, January 21. He played piano on two takes of Dylan's "All along the Watchtower", but they were taken out by Eddie Kramer. One of these takes has Jimi playing bass upside down. You can hear a very short clip of the take with Brian playing piano on the video "Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - Recounting the Music of a Legendary Music Recording" Rhino Home Video Classic Albums Series. R3 2386.

Then Mitch and Brian played percussion. In the movie, Mitch explains what Brian did... (Just play some beats on a drum and a tambourine), but that take was also not included in the final cut. According to the South Saturn Delta album credits Brian plays sax on "All Along the Watchtower", but according to the experts and witnesses it is not true, maybe just publicity to sell more albums to Stones/Brian fans.

BTW, All along the watchtower had more than 50 takes and it was one of the causes to have Noel out of the band, as he complained and left the studio, the last takes had Jimi playing the right-handed bass downside up

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
11-29-02 11:56 PM
beer "I liked Brian. We asked him to one of our sessions and to our surprise he brought along a sax. He turned up in this big afghan coat at Abbey Road. We said, "We've got a little track here" and he played sax. It was a crazy record, "You know my name, look up the number". It's a funny sax solo- exactly what we wanted, a ropey sax, kind of shakey. Brian was very good like that." -Paul McCartney, in Blinds And Shutters, A book of Michael Cooper photographs, 1989.
11-30-02 01:36 PM
Martha Surviving Beatles Pay Harrison Tribute
By JANE WARDELL
Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) - Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney reunited Friday night for an emotional musical tribute to the memory of George Harrison on the anniversary of the ex-Beatle's death.

With Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker and Harrison's son Dhani, the surviving Beatles shared a night of musical memories with an audience of 5,000 devoted fans at the "Concert For George" at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Money raised by the concert is to benefit the Material World Charitable Foundation, which Harrison founded.

The ex-Beatle, 58, who succumbed to cancer was the second from the group to die. John Lennon was shot to death in 1980.

Harrison left almost $155 million in his will, according to court documents released Friday. Details of the beneficiaries and the division of the money was not made public.

Sitar star Ravi Shankar, Harrison's musical guru in his Beatles days, told the audience, "I strongly feel that George is here tonight. I mean how can he not be here when all of us who loved him so much have assembled all together to sing for him and play music for him."

Clapton kicked off the Beatles hits with "I Want To Tell You," before Cocker and Dhani Harrison joined him for "Here Comes The Sun." Clapton had the crowd on its feet for a standing ovation with the words: "Ladies and gentlemen, Ringo Starr!"

The ex-Beatle ran on stage to tumultuous applause. He saluted the crowd and said: "What a night! I loved George and George loved me."

Many in the audience danced to the music. Starr grabbed the mike and introduced McCartney, bringing the audience to its feet again.

All the performers assembled onstage for a specially written finale, "I'll See You In My Dreams," and many fans wiped away tears as the artists bowed and clapped the audience.

In Los Angeles, a small crowd gathered Friday at the Beatles' star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame to mark Harrison's death. Longtime Southern California peace activist Jerry Rubin said the memorial was marked by sadness as well as "a celebration of George's life and his ongoing promotion of peace and love."
11-30-02 03:14 PM
sasca I love that cartoon of George and John. I've seen a photo of Brian said to be taken at George's house in the mid-sixties but I can't remember on which site I saw it. Brian is walking next to a swimming pool; a cat is standing on the diving-board.
11-30-02 03:16 PM
Moonisup ..
[Edited by Moonisup]
11-30-02 04:02 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
2 down 2 to go

this was a joke

Whahahahaahahaha very good joke this is...
11-30-02 04:11 PM
Moonisup I never want anyone dead

just don't wanna hear beatles
12-01-02 01:35 AM
Prodigal Son It was BJ who played oboe in fact on "Baby, You're a Rich Man" and he contributed backing vocals on the choruses of "Yellow Submarine" and "All You Need is Love." Mick and Keih also sing back up on AYNIL (not to mention Marianne Faithful). These are the ones I'm sure of. Funny enough, Ronnie's song with George is the best one on that wretched Dark Horse album (the Stones guys had to make the solo beatles look better. HA!)
12-01-02 06:49 AM
cocksucker Moonisup wrote:
2 down 2 to go

tasteless
12-01-02 08:52 AM
Honky Tonk Man "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" was released as the b side of Let It Be in 1970. Brians contribution was taped in 1967. The song was left on the shelf for a couple of years. They needed a b side for their last single, so they dusted it off and got John to add some funny vocals at the end.

The released version can be heard on "Past Masters Volume 2"

Brians sax is quite clearly heard on that version

Alex
12-01-02 03:34 PM
Gazza for anyone who's interested,the setlist for the RAH show (thanks to expectingrain.com)was as follows:

The concert opened with 45 minutes of Indian music,
including The Inner Light, sung by Jeff Lynne.

After a 30 minute intermission, The Monthy Python gang gave us two songs:
Sit On My Face and Tell Me That You Love Me
The Lumberjack song.

I Want to Tell You - Jeff Lynne
If I Needed Someone
Old Brown Shoe
Horse To The Water
Beware Of Darkness

Here Comes The Sun - Joe Brown
That's The Way It Goes

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) - Sam Brown

Taxman - Tom Petty
I Need You

Handle With Care - Petty, Lynne, Dhani etc clip
(if you go to expectingrain.com theres a AVI clip of it)

Isn't It A Pity - Eric Clapton

Photograph - Ringo Starr
Honey Don't

For You Blue - Paul McCartney (Ringo on drums)
Something - Paul McCartney on ukulele

All Things Must Pass -

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Eric Clapton
My Sweet Lord - Billy Preston
Wah Wah - Clapton, Petty

I'll See You In My Dreams - Joe Brown on ukulele

12-01-02 06:33 PM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks Gazza
12-02-02 01:02 PM
Street Fighting Man Does anyone know if a broadcast is planned?

Thanks!
12-02-02 06:04 PM
Martha

Thanks for posting the set-list info Gazza. I hadn't seen it yet. Hope it is broadcast somewhere soon...!
12-03-02 04:14 AM
Zack Another George-Stones connection:

He and Patti were at Redlands on the day of the bust! They say the cops waited till they left before they closed in because they did not not want to have a Beatle involved with "cutting those Stones down to size," as the judge later said.
12-03-02 10:35 AM
jb The Beatles are dead..Long live the Stones #1 Rock group of all time....too tough to die!!!
12-03-02 02:34 PM
sasca Those of you interested in F1, like George was and I am - it was attended by F1 champions Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi and Damon Hill.