ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, September 16, 2002
By Roostah and/or PhilA aka SparksWILLFly!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: STONES UNPLUGGED Return to archive
11-27-02 10:12 PM
GLIMTWIN WOULDNT IT BE GREAT IF THE STONES DID AN ACOUSTIC UNPLUGGED
AND PLAY LIKE "WINTER"ANGIE"SWEET VIRGINIA" WAITING ONA FRIEND " LAST TIME" MEMO FROM TURNER"MOONLIGHT MILE"
TATOO YOU"S B SIDE" TUNES LIKE THAT AND TELL STORIES IN
BETWEEN IT WOULD BE GREAT MAYBE SPECIAL GUEST LIKE MICK
TAYLOR ROD STEWART DAVE MATTHEWS AND SUCH PAYPERVIEW
ACOUSTIC SET WOULD THAT WORK ?
11-27-02 10:14 PM
GLIMTWIN
quote:
GLIMTWIN wrote:
WOULDNT IT BE GREAT IF THE STONES DID AN ACOUSTIC UNPLUGGED
AND PLAY LIKE "WINTER"ANGIE"SWEET VIRGINIA" WAITING ONA FRIEND " LAST TIME" MEMO FROM TURNER"MOONLIGHT MILE"
TATOO YOU"S B SIDE" TUNES LIKE THAT AND TELL STORIES IN
BETWEEN IT WOULD BE GREAT MAYBE SPECIAL GUEST LIKE MICK
TAYLOR ROD STEWART DAVE MATTHEWS AND SUCH PAYPERVIEW
ACOUSTIC SET WOULD THAT WORK ?

YES UNPLUGGED MEMORY MOTEL
11-27-02 10:19 PM
gypsymofo60 Absolutely! That'd be great. As a matter of fact here in OZ Stripped was advertised as The Stones UNPLUGGED when that was the genre of the moment. I guess it was in a way, but I see what you mean, a real unplugged, full audience/performer participation, what's the word?....Ah yes! INTIMATE....
11-28-02 04:43 AM
Mother baby Unplugging the Stones would be like taking the poppy out of opium. The Stones thrive on electricty.
11-28-02 05:01 AM
sonicrock ELECTRICITY
11-28-02 06:09 AM
Mother baby No not that!!!! Anything but THAT.
11-28-02 06:14 AM
Mother baby
quote:
sonicrock wrote:
ELECTRICITY

Of course. Don't let it shock you. Haw Haw. The Stones without elecricity are like the Sun without daily nuclear explosions.
11-28-02 07:53 AM
Lacride Oh yeah, Dirty Works unplugged!
(LOL)
11-28-02 10:21 AM
Jumacfly Stones unplugged : no way
Chuck leavell unplugged: where must i sign for this???
11-29-02 06:32 AM
sonicrock YES YES chuck leavell unplugged that s brilliant
11-29-02 06:38 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Stones unplugged : no way
Chuck leavell unplugged: where must i sign for this???

ohh ju... so good you're here agin

tho i disagree - stones unplugged would work easy beacoup (sp?)... it would be sweet as glimtwin say an acoustic memory motel (maybe a hint of electric piano - but not played by chuck) - would be as cool as opium
11-29-02 06:44 AM
Jumacfly Hey SIA; of course stones unplugged would be nice, it reminds me the early version of "all down the line", with keith on acoustic guitar...a jewel !!

By the way, they could play unplugged, plugged, and mick could sing the yellow pages, it would still be the Stones!!
our stones, and god bless them, and , also give them everything they want (including a new keyboard !!)

Cheers
Ju
ps: SIA check your mail box
11-29-02 09:16 AM
stonedinaustralia yeah ju .. i've seen the box - thanx for that ..i'll reply soon

yes it's a jewel! and hendrix is the blues!

11-29-02 03:59 PM
icydanger
some of their bluesy songs would sound great unplugged

11-29-02 07:35 PM
sasca Unplug Ronnie? The machines are all that are keeping him alive. (trad.arr.sasca)
11-29-02 07:51 PM
Gazza >WOULDNT IT BE GREAT IF THE STONES DID AN ACOUSTIC UNPLUGGED

no..because the time to do it was a decade or so ago. the whole concept of that show has become passe for years. To be honest,it makes me puke that an MTV generation seem to think the whole idea of playing acoustic music barely existed until that show was dreamed up - and MTV act like they invented the whole fucking genre.

you can bet also that MTV's executives would do their damnedest to ensure that if the band DID do such a show,it would be full of acoustic versions of their best known hits instead of obscure album tracks and blues...(theyve done that with other artists, such as Dylan, to the detriment fo what the show COULD have been..)

All those channels are concerned about are ratings (plus the possible live CD spin off) - they have no interest in actual music these days, evidenced by their programming which is completely at odds with what I'd understand by the definition of "Music Television"- - theyd be shitting themselves if Keith launched into "Prodigal Son" for example instead of "Start me up" in case some zit-infested 18 year old with the attention span of a squirrel reached for the remote because he didn't recognise the song within ten seconds.

Fuck MTV and the horse they rode in on. These channels barely give bands like the Stones air-time any other day of the year...they don't deserve to be sucked up to.
[Edited by Gazza]
11-29-02 08:54 PM
JumpinJackFlash Yeah, I suppose it would be cool, they could also get those back up singer girl's that were on the "Exile" album, I always thought" you got to Move" and "Prodical Son" were pretty much unplugged tunes. I recall seeing some of that clip where they were recording at the Mussel Scholts, doing the outtakes of some of them there tunes. I recall they wanted that old fashoined sound like their idols, so they went to the studio they recorded in.
11-29-02 09:09 PM
justforyou I can only agree about the abysmal state of Mtv's music selection these days, Mtv has probably succeeded in scaring away all but the youngest of music fans...though I'd cherish any show with the Stones on any channel.
11-29-02 09:12 PM
Gazza yes, I agree ..but on the band's own terms (as was the case with the "Stripped" special) not the channel's
11-30-02 03:38 PM
Scottfree There is an acoustic version of Memory Motel on the Stripped companion.
12-01-02 02:29 AM
Locomotion20 Glimtwin wrote

"YES UNPLUGGED MEMORY MOTEL"

There is an acoustic version of Memory Motel with just MJ with single guitar backing recorded for a TV series directed by Dave Stewart around 1990.

It was made for and transmitted by Channel 4 in the UK.
The song was used over shots of Harry Dean Stanton cruising around in a large convertible in something like the Arizona wilderness. Harry illustrates the song by looking very wistful throughout the sequence.

I have it on VHS somewhere, a copy I seem to remember.
12-01-02 05:21 AM
sonicrock i m very hungry about all this unplugged stuff, in my home town, if you had a band could not find a place to play electric, they all ask for unplugged music fear of the cops, fuck it i just wanna hear and play rock n roll i ain t no greenwich village folk, even if i like the stuff they done very much.
12-01-02 12:56 PM
Gazza >There is an acoustic version of Memory Motel with just MJ with single guitar backing recorded for a TV series directed by Dave Stewart around 1990.
It was made for and transmitted by Channel 4 in the UK.

I have that recording and I always wondered where it was from - as i knew Stewart was involved with it,I presumed it was from the "Primitive Cool" sessions (ie, early '87 - which may be the case I suppose) Never knew it had been used for anything officially,though,so thanks for the info..

It's a gorgeous , dreamy version, actually - I prefer it to the band version that's on "Stripped Companion"
12-01-02 11:11 PM
Locomotion20 Gazza wrote :

"I have that recording and I always wondered where it was from - as i knew Stewart was involved with it,I presumed it was from the "Primitive Cool" sessions (ie, early '87 - which may be the case I suppose)"

Nico's site confirms that it probably was recorded in 87 :

870100C early January - late February: MICK JAGGER. Barbados, Blue Wave Studios.
Producer: MJ and Dave Stewart.
Memory Motel (MJ/KR) -new version, soundtrack for Beyond The Groove-movie
Note: The new version of Memory Motel maybe stems from a different
(unidentified) session.

Plus, it was available on Laserdisc in Japan :

911200A December: DAVE STEWART.
Laser Disc �Beyond The Groove� (VAP VPLR - 70175, Japan). Incl.
- Memory Motel (MJ/KR) by Mick Jagger
as background soundtrack.
This version (see 870100C is not available elsewhere)

Cheers.

12-02-02 04:13 PM
jb Stripped companion
12-03-02 12:11 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>WOULDNT IT BE GREAT IF THE STONES DID AN ACOUSTIC UNPLUGGED

no..because the time to do it was a decade or so ago. the whole concept of that show has become passe for years. To be honest,it makes me puke that an MTV generation seem to think the whole idea of playing acoustic music barely existed until that show was dreamed up - and MTV act like they invented the whole fucking genre.

you can bet also that MTV's executives would do their damnedest to ensure that if the band DID do such a show,it would be full of acoustic versions of their best known hits instead of obscure album tracks and blues...(theyve done that with other artists, such as Dylan, to the detriment fo what the show COULD have been..)

All those channels are concerned about are ratings (plus the possible live CD spin off) - they have no interest in actual music these days, evidenced by their programming which is completely at odds with what I'd understand by the definition of "Music Television"- - theyd be shitting themselves if Keith launched into "Prodigal Son" for example instead of "Start me up" in case some zit-infested 18 year old with the attention span of a squirrel reached for the remote because he didn't recognise the song within ten seconds.

Fuck MTV and the horse they rode in on. These channels barely give bands like the Stones air-time any other day of the year...they don't deserve to be sucked up to.
[Edited by Gazza]

SHEEEEEEEEEESH! OK! Unplugged was a bad term of reference in light of MTV, so how about just acoustic, no vested interests...better?????
12-03-02 04:31 AM
beer Most of Beggars Banquet is based on acoustic guitars. That's what is so great about it to me. It's such an incredible rock and roll album, yet it's still very down-home and acoustic. No Expectations is one of my favorite Stones songs. It's acoustic. So is Street Fighting Man, and it's guitars are fucking vicious! Jigsaw Puzzle, Salt of the Earth, etc. Acoustic with electric slide.
Prodigal Son is an acoustic guitar masterpiece in my opinion. Love that song.....