ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Iceland best place to live, The Worst - Africa UN Return to archive
27th November 2007 10:36 AM
steel driving hammer 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Iceland has overtaken Norway as the world's most desirable country to live in, according to an annual U.N. table published on Tuesday that again puts AIDS-afflicted sub-Saharan African states at the bottom.

Rich free-market countries dominate the top places, with Iceland, Norway, Australia, Canada and Ireland the first five but the United States slipping to 12th place from eighth last year in the U.N. Human Development Index.

But the index, blending 2005 figures for life expectancy, educational levels and real per capita income, finds that all 22 countries falling into its "low human development" category are in sub-Saharan Africa, with Sierra Leone last.

In 10 of these countries, two children in five will not reach the age of 40, said the compilers at the U.N. Development Program. Last year's report said HIV/AIDS had had a "catastrophic effect" on life expectancy in the region.

The index ranks 175 U.N. member countries plus Hong Kong and the Palestinian territories. It does not include 17 countries, including Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia, because of inadequate data.

Norway had held top spot for six years but was edged into second place by Iceland this year because of new life expectancy estimates and updated figures for gross domestic product, or GDP, the report said.

U.N. officials played down the significance of minor short-term shifts in the rankings including the slide in the U.S. position. They said if subsequent data for the year in question been available for last year's report, the United States would have been in 10th, not eighth place.

The United States scores high on real per capita GDP, which at $41,890 is second only to that of Luxembourg ($60,228), but less well on life expectancy -- joint last in the top 26 countries, along with Denmark and South Korea, at 77.9 years.

Japanese have the longest life expectancy -- 82.3 years -- and Zambians the lowest, at 40.5.

The report said most countries had seen their human development index rise over the last 30 years, but in 16 it was lower than in 1990, and in three -- the Democratic Republic of Congo, Zambia and Zimbabwe -- lower than in 1975.

Per capita GDP is 45 times higher in Iceland than in Sierra Leone.

The United Nations has published its human development index every year since 1990.

27th November 2007 11:54 AM
jb You can see a lot of tits in Africa so this is a bit of a surprise.
27th November 2007 11:59 AM
Gazza You can see plenty on here too!!
27th November 2007 12:00 PM
gimmekeef This place is a veritable treasure of tits and asses....
27th November 2007 12:34 PM
Nellcote Iceland is fantastic.
People are just terrific.
I played the part of a Hollywood director, received many favorable responses.
27th November 2007 01:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Any place that's got the word "ice" in it doesn't appeal to me at all. Now a place called "Viceland" would be more my cup of tea.
27th November 2007 01:43 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Any place that's got the word "ice" in it doesn't appeal to me at all. Now a place called "Viceland" would be more my cup of tea.

Funny stuff!!!
27th November 2007 01:51 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You can see plenty on here too!!

27th November 2007 01:55 PM
jb
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

The next president looks very good in that photo!!! Go Hillary!!!
27th November 2007 01:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >The next president looks very good in that photo!!! Go Hillary!!!<

I wonder what the Cabinet will look like?

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
27th November 2007 02:03 PM
steel driving hammer
27th November 2007 02:29 PM
Mr Jurkka What is so fantastic about iceland? There are friggin volcanos out there. Well who am i to say i never been there.
27th November 2007 02:29 PM
Erik_Snow THat's it, I'm packing my bags for Reykjavik
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
27th November 2007 09:05 PM
mojoman
quote:

From NBC's Mark Murray
Obama has Oprah. And now Hillary has ... Barbra Streisand. The Clinton campaign just announced that the famous singer and star of Funny Girl, Prince of Tides, and Meet the Fockers has endorsed the New York senator.

"Hillary is a powerful voice for change as we find our country at an important crossroads," Streisand said in a statement. "Under her leadership, our country will regain its respect within the global community. She will prioritize issues of global climate change, universal health care and rebuilding a strong economy. After eight long years, the public will once again have faith in their government."

In other words, we guess, "the way we were..."
28th November 2007 05:24 AM
Zack
quote:

I had no idea Hillary had such big tits. No idea!
28th November 2007 05:39 AM
corgi37 Aussie's rule and we all know that. Who wants to live in fucking Iceland? I mean, get real.

Call me strange, but sitting in near darkness for 6 months of the year, freezing so cold my balls turn to the size of olives and eating pickled herring while my wife skins a seal does make me wanna be a immigrant.

Give me sun, barefoot girls, wall to wall Labor governments, VB Bitter beer, fine spliff, Rose Tattoo, a dollar that will soon overtake the U.S., Aussie Rules footy and "Neighbours" any day.
28th November 2007 07:16 AM
lotsajizz at least Iceland's government will not hand the store over to China....
28th November 2007 07:28 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
at least Iceland's government will not hand the store over to China....

Are you refering to Walmart?

28th November 2007 07:34 AM
Nellcote Iceland is fantastic.
Hot thermal spring swimming year round.
Golf @ midnight in the North during the time from late May to July.
Glaciers are spectacular, geysers abound.
My trip there found temps in the 70's in October, as it is enveloped by the Atlantic Gulf Stream.
It really should trade names with Greenland, as due to the Gulf stream, it is not as frigid, ice & snow filled as it's name indicates.
Sure, it's not the tropics, however, it's not the like residing in Tashkent...
28th November 2007 09:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Iceland is fantastic.
Hot thermal spring swimming year round.
Golf @ midnight in the North during the time from late May to July.
Glaciers are spectacular, geysers abound.
My trip there found temps in the 70's in October, as it is enveloped by the Atlantic Gulf Stream.
It really should trade names with Greenland, as due to the Gulf stream, it is not as frigid, ice & snow filled as it's name indicates.
Sure, it's not the tropics, however, it's not the like residing in Tashkent...

Well that's nice and all that, but I still would prefer Tahiti.
28th November 2007 10:01 AM
Shmoey OMAHA......I SAYS OMAHA!!!!

BEST OMAHA YEY RONNIE!!

----------> http://www.qwestcenteromaha.com/

omahatastic 'kins!!!
28th November 2007 05:59 PM
stonedinaustralia do all the women in iceland look (and sound) like bjork??

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
28th November 2007 06:35 PM
fireontheplatter if i had the choice to live in a hot tub or a rhino chasing my ass....i would chooose the hot tub.
28th November 2007 06:49 PM
MrPleasant I live in the world. And it's ok by me as long as there's booze nearby. Otherwise I might as well in _________________________________________________________
28th November 2007 10:36 PM
Dino37 Ireland's economy and quality of living is really rocking of late - not a bad choice. Some of the best golf in the world to boot. Weather a bit shitty even in the summer but mild enough.

Push comes to shove though, when the shit really hits the fan who does the world look to to bail them out? That's right, the good old U.S. of A.

P.S. Fuck Iceland. Give me a break. Bjork? Stupid cunt.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)