ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie admits a project is on (Faces project underway) Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th November 2007 08:23 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Theres nowhere in the UK that had (or has) venues that size.

When the Faces were going, there only were about 1 or 2 venues that could hold 10,000 people, let alone 100,000.

Ok, well maybe US then, that or Kenny Jones and their tour manager is on something, because in Ronnie Lane's documentary Kenny says at one point they played to 250,000 and their tour manager said they played to 100,000 around 1971, and they all had money to buy things, like Rod he bought a mansion and a lamborghini. Maybe Kenny neglected to say they were festivals, but I mean they'd have to play a lot of festivals...There is some footage of their bigger show in this clip...They talk about it 8 mins into part one.

This is a rather good look at The Faces time from Ronnie Lane's "The life and music of Ronnie Lane."
(Mp4 and Mov format, can be played on Quicktime or Itunes):

Part 1:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dem7fd

Part 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/aqeiaa

25th November 2007 08:35 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Other thing they need to do to tour is a new album, if they tour as another "Reunion Tour" with no new material it will be as pointed above a few-dates mini tour of arenas

mini tour?

you must live in patagonia.....

the faces could sell out 2-5 dates at the beacon, easily.

lets hope they go for it
25th November 2007 08:48 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

mini tour?

you must live in patagonia.....

the faces could sell out 2-5 dates at the beacon, easily.

lets hope they go for it

Aye...Got to remember Rod and Ron are big/established names now...I wouldn't imagine them playing larger than 20,000, or smaller than 10,000. They do however have to get the word out and promote the tour...That's the true key to anything, getting the word to the people.
26th November 2007 07:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
LoveinVainRonnie wrote:

Ok, well maybe US then, that or Kenny Jones and their tour manager is on something, because in Ronnie Lane's documentary Kenny says at one point they played to 250,000 and their tour manager said they played to 100,000 around 1971, and they all had money to buy things, like Rod he bought a mansion and a lamborghini. Maybe Kenny neglected to say they were festivals, but I mean they'd have to play a lot of festivals...

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm

I'm looking at Nico Zentgraf's site which lists all the Faces shows and the US shows that year are a mixture of arenas and theatres and theres no shows in Europe bigger than a theatre.

They DID play the Reading Festival in August 1973, though, but that tends to be spread over a few days (Rory Gallagher and Genesis were the other headliners that year)
26th November 2007 10:22 AM
Lethargy Is anyone concerned that Ronnie might not be able to handle lead guitarist (only guitarist) role for a tour? Without Keith and (cringe) Blondie covering for him, I'm not sure he would do too well on this.
26th November 2007 12:12 PM
gustavobala
quote:
mojoman wrote:
will bill play bass?

bill?
bill wyman?

AND TETSU? HE STILL LIVES!!!!

TESTSU ON BASS!!!!!

(bill wyman on stones)!
26th November 2007 12:29 PM
glencar
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Oh, the songs are great! But give me Tony Bennett or
Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald to sing them, please!

Sinatra & Ella are grand but let's not put TB in their company. He really sucks. I'd rather put Dino in there (only half-serious about that!).
26th November 2007 12:33 PM
LoveinVainRonnie
quote:
Gazza wrote:

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm

I'm looking at Nico Zentgraf's site which lists all the Faces shows and the US shows that year are a mixture of arenas and theatres and theres no shows in Europe bigger than a theatre.

They DID play the Reading Festival in August 1973, though, but that tends to be spread over a few days (Rory Gallagher and Genesis were the other headliners that year)

Well take it up with Kenny Jones, because even though they were all drunk, I would think he would know better, he was there...But maybe websites do know better...I know I don't, I am going to trust Kenny's word.
[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
26th November 2007 12:46 PM
Sioux
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sinatra & Ella are grand but let's not put TB in their company. He really sucks. I'd rather put Dino in there (only half-serious about that!).

Aww, I love Bennett. Even before it was fashionable to love
Bennett.. Mel Torme was good too. But yeah, they don't
make singers like those anymore. Dino? No, not really for
me, thanks...lol Too much swooping and slurring...
26th November 2007 12:52 PM
jb I just finishing reading RW's book as I was recovering at home. I found it a entertaining, if not a highly exaggerated
read. Why does Keith hate Mick so much??? Why did he shoot his guitar??? I also don't understand the part where he says his wife doesn't do drugs, yet, in every chapter, she is doing drugs??? Why can't Mick T write a book...
26th November 2007 01:13 PM
glencar
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Aww, I love Bennett. Even before it was fashionable to love
Bennett.. Mel Torme was good too. But yeah, they don't
make singers like those anymore. Dino? No, not really for
me, thanks...lol Too much swooping and slurring...

I find TB reprehensible. I thought Torme was boring but harmless.
26th November 2007 01:30 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Yes, The Faces played huge festivals, and yes they were the headliner to the Essex Festival Aug 29th 1971 of 100,000!

From Rod Stewart - The Visual Documentary By: John Gray

Full pages of dates and info for The Faces falling under 1971:

http://i19.tinypic.com/8fo6xk5.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/8bp419g.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/6sakviv.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/6lj1qhv.jpg

For Kicks, Stones headliner, and Steampacket Rod Stewart

[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
26th November 2007 04:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
LoveinVainRonnie wrote:
Yes, The Faces played huge festivals, and yes they were the headliner to the Essex Festival Aug 29th 1971 of 100,000!

The headliner (per the story) was actually T Rex, who were a genuinely huge band at the time and who closed the festival - but who were blown away by The Faces!

Great find - thanks
[Edited by Gazza]
26th November 2007 04:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Is anyone concerned that Ronnie might not be able to handle lead guitarist (only guitarist) role for a tour? Without Keith and (cringe) Blondie covering for him, I'm not sure he would do too well on this.

I agree.
26th November 2007 04:39 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I agree.

With the ragged sound of the Faces...and the way Ronnie sounded on the last legs of the tour I think he'd be fine...Cept it aint happenin so all wonderful speculation..
26th November 2007 06:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

With the ragged sound of the Faces...and the way Ronnie sounded on the last legs of the tour I think he'd be fine...Cept it aint happenin so all wonderful speculation..

It is indeed.

Ronnie was indeed fine in Europe, but its been well over 30 years since he played in a one-guitar line up. Things have certainly changed since then.
27th November 2007 12:05 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

It is indeed.

Ronnie was indeed fine in Europe, but its been well over 30 years since he played in a one-guitar line up. Things have certainly changed since then.

For sure..but if this did happen I doubt they'd single guitar it.Likely a Waddy type player along as well as the usual horn suspects....Come to think of it..lets hope they dont!...lol
27th November 2007 12:08 PM
jb He is feeling a new sense of empowerment with his book, art, and Keith's decline. Quite frankly, I am sick of him and his lousy playing.
27th November 2007 12:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
He is feeling a new sense of empowerment with his book, art, and Keith's decline. Quite frankly, I am sick of him and his lousy playing.

Ronnie stepped up to the bat and bailed the Stones out several times since Keith's accident, actually. Especially in Europe.
27th November 2007 12:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

For sure..but if this did happen I doubt they'd single guitar it.Likely a Waddy type player along as well as the usual horn suspects....Come to think of it..lets hope they dont!...lol

Well, the final Faces tour (the one which immediately followed the Stones' Tour of the Americas) in 1975 featured two guitarists - Ronnie and Jesse Ed Davis, so it's not unprecedented.
27th November 2007 12:15 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Ronnie stepped up to the bat and bailed the Stones out several times since Keith's accident, actually. Especially in Europe.

Do you want the book,,,,send me your address and I shall forward this to you.
28th November 2007 01:10 PM
Dino37
quote:
jb wrote:
He is feeling a new sense of empowerment with his book, art, and Keith's decline. Quite frankly, I am sick of him and his lousy playing.

Hell no.

He still plays a decent lick - better than Keith who has declined so much in the last 24 months it really is a bummer. I would love a Faces tour. Rod and Ron are very cool together. Rod has made about $50 million off the songbook stuff. Time to break out the RnR just one more time for us.

Ron would play with the kind of confident inspiration he cannot quite unleash while with the Stones because Keith's ego and insecurity would has never allowed it. And Wood covered Keith's ass big time this last tour. He carried that old crippled drunk on his back almost every night.

Now I gotta go clean the chicken outta my teeth...

28th November 2007 01:17 PM
jb
quote:
Dino37 wrote:

Hell no.

He still plays a decent lick - better than Keith who has declined so much in the last 24 months it really is a bummer. I would love a Faces tour. Rod and Ron are very cool together. Rod has made about $50 million off the songbook stuff. Time to break out the RnR just one more time for us.

Ron would play with the kind of confident inspiration he cannot quite unleash while with the Stones because Keith's ego and insecurity would has never allowed it. And Wood covered Keith's ass big time this last tour. He carried that old crippled drunk on his back almost every night.

Now I gotta go clean the chicken outta my teeth...

Keith gets a pass as he has been covering for Woody since 81 forward....no doubt KR is shot as a guitarist, but lets not forget how bad RW was only recently as Licks. Hopefully he will keep it up as Keith will get worse and worse-he is completely done...He will stand up and not play-thus, we have Chapman in the back ground. The Stones have not had a real lead guitar player since MT ( who could destroy Jimmy Page) left.
[Edited by jb]
28th November 2007 01:48 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Do you want the book,,,,send me your address and I shall forward this to you.

Already have it - autographed.

Thanks for the offer, though
28th November 2007 05:48 PM
Dino37
quote:
jb wrote:

Keith gets a pass as he has been covering for Woody since 81 forward....no doubt KR is shot as a guitarist, but lets not forget how bad RW was only recently as Licks. Hopefully he will keep it up as Keith will get worse and worse-he is completely done...He will stand up and not play-thus, we have Chapman in the back ground. The Stones have not had a real lead guitar player since MT ( who could destroy Jimmy Page) left.
[Edited by jb]

Have you seen MT in the last 10 years? Nothing special. He could play a nice guitar about 35 odd years ago, but shit, he got fat and lazy. Now Keith is getting fat and has been lazy for a while now and that is not cool. What a bitch watching your heroes getting old...
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)