ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is Bobby Keys a Rolling Stone? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
24th November 2007 08:40 AM
Honky Tonk Man Spot on as usual Gazza. It shouldn't even boil down to a matter of opinion. You either were a Stone or are a Stone. Dick Taylor and Stu were both Stones, Chuck Leavel, Bobby Keys, Sideshow Bib and everyone else are just hired hands. They don't even LOOK like Stones for heavens sake!
24th November 2007 11:55 AM
Jaxx it is my understanding that the sidemen are just that, sidemen. heck darryl jones isn't even considered a rolling stone. that title belongs to mick, keith, charlie, and ronnie exclusively.
[Edited by Jaxx]
24th November 2007 01:37 PM
bilsim If you're going with that argument you might as well have Lisa Fischer as a Stone. Flawless answer from Gazza.
25th November 2007 08:52 PM
Soldatti He was "almost" a Stone from 1970 to 1973, an occasional guest between 1978 and 1982 and another member of the endless gang now.
25th November 2007 09:16 PM
mojoman papa was a rolling stone
25th November 2007 09:35 PM
Bitch NO, Bobby is not a Stone! He can NEVER be a Stone because he is not British. According to The Rolling Stones (the book) it says that is a requirement, and a big reason RONNIE was selected as a STONE.
25th November 2007 10:25 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
To consider a sideman as a 'Stone' just because he's been a hired hand for a certain number of years is nonsensical.

But Bobby Keys is more than just a hired hand, he is (or was at least) very tight and good friends with the Stones. You can't say that about the other hired hands like Lisa, Tim, Bernard etc...

I don't care what the facts are, he's a Stone to me.
25th November 2007 10:48 PM
fireontheplatter will you people shut the fuck up

until you can blow the sax as well as he can during brown sugar/can't you hear me knocking....then maybe you can have the job.

25th November 2007 11:11 PM
Zack Why don't YOU shut the fuck up. The fact is Keys is a fair to middling sax player who got the gig because he was one of the few people who could keep up with Keith in the drugs department.
26th November 2007 06:31 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I don't care what the facts are, he's a Stone to me.

Okay, so he's a Stone in your mind. Thats fair enough. I do UNDERSTAND where you are coming from, but...

It doesn't change the fact that in reality, he's NOT an actual member of the Rolling Stones.
26th November 2007 07:19 AM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

But Bobby Keys is more than just a hired hand, he is (or was at least) very tight and good friends with the Stones.

being a 'good friend' doesnt make you a 'Stone'. By that yardstick, you may as well say Chuch Magee or Freddy Sessler were 'Stones'. He's a hired hand. End of story.

Besides, Chuck Leavell's tenure with the band has been continuously longer than that of Keys or any other hired hand (he's worked for the band even longer than Stu did and almost as long as Wyman), he's the band's musical director onstage, is onstage for the whole show (unlike every other sideman apart from Jones) and he's even had a co-writing credit on a Stones album.

If anyone else was a 'Stone' they would have had their mug on an album cover by now.
26th November 2007 08:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mojoman wrote:
papa was a rolling stone

As was Muddy Waters.

26th November 2007 08:13 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
27th November 2007 01:34 PM
jb I met Keys in Kentucky and he was certainly very cordial, but there is no way he should be considered a "stone". The last real Stone was Mick Taylor.
27th November 2007 08:06 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
I met Keys in Kentucky and he was certainly very cordial, but there is no way he should be considered a "stone". The last real Stone was Mick Taylor.

I met Keys in Boston, he had bad teeth. Whilst I enjoy his playing within the context of the band, he is not considered a "stone" by us (true stones fans). Most of the "sidemen" would be session players without the Stones, and I don't care how good Chaplin covers the guitars! With the exception of Lisa Fischer, there is not too much charisma in any other Sideman other than Billy Preston (See: Cock Dance)
27th November 2007 08:54 PM
pdog
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I met Keys in Boston, he had bad teeth. Whilst I enjoy his playing within the context of the band, he is not considered a "stone" by us (true stones fans). Most of the "sidemen" would be session players without the Stones, and I don't care how good Chaplin covers the guitars! With the exception of Lisa Fischer, there is not too much charisma in any other Sideman other than Billy Preston (See: Cock Dance)

The return post?
27th November 2007 09:27 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Okay, so he's a Stone in your mind. Thats fair enough. I do UNDERSTAND where you are coming from, but...

It doesn't change the fact that in reality, he's NOT an actual member of the Rolling Stones.

Yeah I know.
27th November 2007 09:40 PM
voodoopug
quote:
pdog wrote:

The return post?

inform the others to take notes
28th November 2007 10:54 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Check his pay stubs.
28th November 2007 11:01 AM
jb Welcome back Pug!!
28th November 2007 11:13 AM
gustavobala Sure, yes, he is a stone...more than darryl, billy, chaplin, ian mclagan, nicky hopkins, leavell, fowler...etc
28th November 2007 05:49 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Welcome back Pug!!

glad to be back!

Note: I ate lunch at a Kosher Subway yesterday, it was very good.
28th November 2007 06:50 PM
MrPleasant Is Bill Wyman a Rolling Stone??
28th November 2007 10:13 PM
voodoopug
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Is Bill Wyman a Rolling Stone??

depends who you ask

28th November 2007 11:12 PM
Zack
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Is Bill Wyman a Rolling Stone??

Si si. The headline on his obituary will be "Bill Wyman, founding member of the Rolling Stones, dies"
29th November 2007 07:43 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:

Si si. The headline on his obituary will be "Bill Wyman, founding member of the Rolling Stones, dies"

....in which case, it wouldn't actually be correct....
29th November 2007 10:37 AM
jb The reality is that Ronnie is not a Stone either..simply a paid hand who has outlasted all others..True Stones=Mick, Keith, Charlie, Wyman , Jones and Taylor.
29th November 2007 05:39 PM
TomL Bobby Keys Is a Rolling Stone. Ronnie is a Rolling Stone.
29th November 2007 05:51 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Nice Avatar Puggy !!!!

30th November 2007 10:31 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
The reality is that Ronnie is not a Stone either..simply a paid hand who has outlasted all others..True Stones=Mick, Keith, Charlie, Wyman , Jones and Taylor.

note: you are referring to "Mick Taylor" and not "Dick Taylor"

Many consider Young Jacob Cohl as the closest thing to an actual new "Stone" these days!
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)