ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Country Music vs Rock n Roll Return to archive Page: 1 2
16th November 2007 08:54 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Tell me...what exactly is the difference?
16th November 2007 09:00 AM
Mr Jurkka Rock n roll is world wide music which is more played than country music. Country music is more played in america especially in usa.

I prefer rock.
16th November 2007 09:00 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Which genre is more "rebellious"?
16th November 2007 09:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
I prefer rock.

Me too. But the lines have become more blurred in recent years for me.
16th November 2007 09:22 AM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Me too. But the lines have become more blurred in recent years for me.

Nah you just listening wrong. What country music you listen then and what rock n roll? What bands?
16th November 2007 09:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels It's not bands so much as the songs. C&W, Blues, Rock n roll, Folk, etc they're all tapping the same well.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
16th November 2007 09:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels "Feel Good" music.
Those Chuck Berry/Johnnie Johnson tunes are about the best for that.
16th November 2007 11:19 AM
Dino37 american country music is pretty big in Ireland...
16th November 2007 01:44 PM
Sioux I think most "country" music now is what we used to call
country rock in the early 70's. Only the vocals are really
country sounding. Keith Urban can do a good rock song, and he's covered some good rock songs. I MUCH prefer rock, in just about any form....

True country to me would be Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, George Jones...people like that. But they don't make it like that anymore.
16th November 2007 02:34 PM
guitarman53 It's rock for me, I like The Byrds, Gram Parsons, etc.
but modern Country is just Rock'N' Roll with cowboy hats on these days, I like the old Country better.
17th November 2007 02:35 AM
MrPleasant Gospel
17th November 2007 03:38 AM
corgi37 Rock is for rockers.

Country is for c....

U.S. country music is the only music currently for white Neocons.
17th November 2007 05:36 AM
Jumping Jack Sadly, country music has all the decent song writers these days.

John Fogerty - Country or Rock?

Plaid shirts, cowboy hats, sings with a twang. Country correct? Or is the difference defined by political views?
17th November 2007 08:28 AM
guitarman53 Country or Rock 'N' Roll?
17th November 2007 11:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Rock is for rockers.

Country is for c....

Normally I respect your opinion...but in this case I'm willing to make an exception. LOL. :

17th November 2007 02:57 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Gospel

Nooo!! Thats horrible music.
17th November 2007 02:58 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Country or Rock 'N' Roll?

Country. Because violin and that weird vocal sound.
17th November 2007 04:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Rock is for rockers.

Country is for c....

Well ... if you've gotta have a hero....in a white cowboy hat.

17th November 2007 04:28 PM
Bloozehound Dale Watson
17th November 2007 08:54 PM
killerbitch Anyone heard that song by Trace Adkins called "Honky Tonk
Badonkadonk"? It is a funny novelty C&W song.
18th November 2007 12:52 AM
Highwire Rob Excellent point about the songwriting in New country. Not really a country fan myself (other than Johnny Cash), I bought this compilation a couple of years ago:

and I was immediately taken with the quality of lyrics and storytelling compared to most of the New Rock I continue to hear. And yeah, a good many of the tracks are cross-over rock anyway with a twang to the vocals -- polished songs though. Whether or not I would agree with some of the performers' political views is whole other matter that had no bearing on the appreciation/enjoyment of these particular recordings.
24th November 2007 11:47 AM
Jaxx country or rock. what's the difference? i agree the lines are blurred these days. especially now that we have country rock!

according to wikipedia the difference depends on the origin of the music. Country music is defined as a blend of popular musical forms found in the southern united states and the appalachian mountains with roots in traditional folk music, celtic music, blues, gospel and old time music. immigrants brought their instruments over from the old world that included irish fiddle, mandolin, spanish guitar and banjo. the interaction of these different musicians created the sound unique to country. it was originally coined hillbilly music in the 1940s but the term was dropped because of its degrading connotation.
Elvis Presley was initially known as the Hillbilly Cat and as we all know helped to define what we know as rock and roll. sub genres of country music include honky tonk, rockabilly, western swing, bluegrass, western and nashville sound.

rock and roll is defined as music that is played with 1 or 2 electric guitars (lead, rhythm), a string or electric bass and a drum set. during its beginnings the lead instruments were either a saxophone or piano but eventually the lead guitar took over. rock was developed through a mixing of popular music genres in the 1950s: rhythm and blues, boogie woogie, jazz, and western.

in the early 1900s , rolling was considered to be religious rapture. in the 1920s rocking and rolling was black slang for dancing or sex. however, the term rock and roll is actually a double entendre--to dance with a subtext of having sex. roll is a medevial metaphor for having sex. the definition of the word rock has a long history of meaning to shake up, disturb or incite.

it appears that rock has its roots in country. then of course there's the fusion of rock and country to form country rock, the genre popoularily attributed to bob dylan, neil young, the band, the byrds, graham parsons, linda ronstadt, flying burrito brothers, pure prairie league, marshall tucker band and doobie brothers, just to name a few.

i prefer the party sound of rock and roll.
24th November 2007 01:00 PM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Rock is for rockers.

Country is for c....

You mean like Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, John Fogerty etc?
24th November 2007 01:21 PM
steel driving hammer Whats a better bar topic would be -

Rock vs Roll...
26th November 2007 04:26 AM
corgi37 What i meant was people like Trace Adkins (Honky Tonk bedonk etc is my daughters fave song!), Travis Tritt, umm, that bald guy (Garth Brooks!), er, and that patriotic guy with the the goatee beard (I know his name, but cant recall it), um, Faith Hill's hubby, Brooks & Dunn - Man, all that is A grade crap. Oh, and that fag Kenny Chesney. Ugh - his stuff is insulting to the ear.

I like that Miranda chick. She is freaking hot!

Aussie country music is just as bad, though not as blatantly patriotic as U.S. country. But it's still stuck in the "we live on the land" kinda thing. I wish they'd branch out a bit. Aussie country was actually fairly popular a while ago in the cities, but when the resurgence of Aussie pub rock (Jet, Wolfmother, Vines etc) came along, it died and went back to the farms.

Tamworth, way up in the deep north, is our version of Nashville. The annual Tamworth Fesitival is said to go write off! Lots of debauchery. Must get there 1 day!

The two things i utterly cannot stand about country artists is - particularly U.S. artists...

1. Moustaches.
2. They wear those fucking cowboy hats everywhere.

It totally bugs me. I just flip out every time i see the Country Music Awards (Not that i watch them, but i am a chronic channel flicker). It's as bad as Slash wearing that fucking hat all the time.
26th November 2007 06:36 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Mr Jurkka wrote:
Rock n roll is world wide music which is more played than country music. Country music is more played in america especially in usa.

I prefer rock.

I prefer rock too, but your definition of country is simply wrong. I have sat in many a pub in Australia and Europe and heard the natives launch into music that would entirely at home in Nashville.
26th November 2007 06:38 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Rock is for rockers.

Country is for c....

try not to so obviously display your xenophobia
26th November 2007 07:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
The two things i utterly cannot stand about country artists is

1. Moustaches.
2. They wear those fucking cowboy hats everywhere.

Ok, thats the women taken care of...now what bugs you about the men?
26th November 2007 07:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels >They wear those fucking cowboy hats everywhere.<

I don't care if they wear cowboy hats....it's the ones that never take them off that scare me. Dwight Yoakam and Terri Clark come to mind.

26th November 2007 06:43 PM
mrhipfl mainstream country might actually be in a worse shape than mainstream rock n' roll.

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)