ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jack White guests with Bob Dylan (and other Dylan stuff) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
29th November 2007 11:15 AM
jb
quote:
Martha wrote:

Thanks for adding your 2 cents jb! Keep it going!

xxoo,
MM

For Martha and Canada:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTqEW2em0u4
29th November 2007 11:21 AM
Ade
quote:
Martha wrote:

I listened all day and evening long. Excellent show. Bob got on his soap box about kids and parents! I love him.

Where do you get this track-list each week Ade?

xxoo,
MM

i usually download the show, every week at hungercity
29th November 2007 11:25 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:

For Martha and Canada:

nice...
29th November 2007 01:04 PM
Martha
quote:
Ade wrote:

i usually download the show, every week at hungercity

Thanks for that info Ade. Geez Louise, I've got to find a way to get into this century. I do not know how to download anything. I don't know how to post pictures or even send attachments. I keep thinking to go to the library to see if I could learn how to do some of these things, but I'm afraid I'll cry like a baby (from frustration and embarrassment). ;-) Computers and I are not on friendly terms.

jb and I are tho! We both dearly love Bob. LOL

xxoo,
Martha
29th November 2007 01:46 PM
Martha jb, jb, jb....where ARE you??????
29th November 2007 02:25 PM
Ade It's easy Martha, it has to be, if i'm doing it
29th November 2007 02:58 PM
Martha
quote:
Ade wrote:
It's easy Martha, it has to be, if i'm doing it

Easy? I hope so.

Ade, you encourage me!

Bless you.

xxoo,
Martha
29th November 2007 03:03 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:

For Martha and Canada:

LARS the greatest rock song ever written!

I love watching and listening to this footage jb. Keef makes it ring like a bell.

hugs and kisses,
Martha
29th November 2007 03:21 PM
Martha Okay, this person saw the film and had something to say.

======================================

Give 'I'm Not There' a few points for style

By Claudia Puig, USA TODAY

Though Bob Dylan, the subject of I'm Not There (* * out of four), is an undeniable enigma, this unconventional film does little to illuminate him. And it's not nearly as enjoyable as one of his rambling, meditative songs, though perhaps it is aspiring to be the cinematic equivalent. Give me Tangled Up in Blue any day over this incoherent, tangled trip.

Director and co-writer Todd Haynes is a prodigiously talented filmmaker whose previous works show an impressive skill and range (Far From Heaven, Safe). But in this pseudo-biography, he gets bogged down in an unusual concept that obfuscates rather than clarifies the iconic songwriter.

The conceit certainly is intriguing, as well as gimmicky: Six actors play Dylan, each representing a distinct period in his life and a different facet of the artist. But the way it plays out is mired in self-consciousness, ultimately feeling self-indulgent rather than revelatory. It tries so hard to be clever that it gets lost in its own pretensions.

Some of the individual stories have more dimension and depth than others, making the film jarringly uneven. It is not the fault of the actors. The dueling Dylans are Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger, Richard Gere, Marcus Carl Franklin and Ben Whishaw. In fact, many of the performances are quite strong, but the characters' sagas, as written, often fall flat. We walk out not knowing much more about Dylan than we did going in.

Maybe that's the point. He's a mysterious shape-shifter, and Haynes isn't trying to do much more than find an artistic way to present that. We expect the surface to at least be scratched. Instead we get vague clues and allusions.

But the film is much more about style than substance. Style is something I'm Not There revels in, particularly the black-and-white segments. But despite its inventive setup, it lacks a coherent narrative.

Blanchett eerily becomes Dylan, and her mannerisms are spot-on. Bale also is excellent. The least compelling vignette features Gere as Billy the Kid. The account is excessive and disconnected. Perhaps most effective is Blanchett, whose testy interviews with a British journalist (Bruce Greenwood) attempt to deconstruct Dylan's relationship with the news media.

The selection of Dylan songs is a highlight, offering an intriguing cross-section of his music, including the anthems one might expect, along with more obscure, but no less evocative, choices.

Though you have to give Haynes credit for deviating from the standard biopic formula and attempting something provocative and visually arresting, the end result is a discordant, disjointed disappointment. (Running time 2 hours, 15 minutes. Rated R for language, some sexuality and nudity. Opens Wednesday in select cities.)
29th November 2007 03:54 PM
PartyDoll MEG And here is another view..

A film to fit the man
Haynes captures the essence of Dylan's life

By Mitchell Akselrad, Daily Arts Writer on 11/27/07

Imagine those abstract paintings at contemporary art museums, canvases covered in a single color that baffle the casual visitor as he wonders, "Is this really art? How can you tell?" The Pollocks and Picassos stare right back at you, daring you to be na've enough to ask such a question. Todd Haynes's "I'm Not There" is such a work of art, a movie truly inspired - in both plot and thematic spirit - by its subject, Bob Dylan.

To give a synopsis is difficult. The movie is a mélange of different pieces that together evoke the life of one of the 20th century's most provocative artists. The marketing hook is that each portion of the film stars a different actor portraying a Dylan-esque character - someone with a different name, age, skin color or even gender, but whose spirit represents the artist. Some of the sections are direct reenactments of the singer's life, others are more abstruse, "inspired" by the life and music of the subject.

Haynes and Oren Moverman's script tries to capture the constantly changing artist, whose persona didn't evolve over the last half-century as much as it morphed from one incarnation to another. The more you know of the legend's biography, the better you'll understand the movie's different plotlines and textured homage to details of the singer's life. The prominent feature of a black tarantula in a key scene is an allusion to Dylan's book of poems Tarantula; a character named Woody Guthrie is a reference to one of Dylan's idols. These sort of suggestions pervade the film.

The performances range from strong to fantastic to so good it's as if "I'm Not There" is a documentary and you're looking into the face of Bob Dylan himself. Cate Blanchett, the only woman to play the folk legend, is perfect in the role. She captures Dylan's look, his mannerisms, his voice inflections, his essence. Christian Bale is similarly inspired in his sister performance.

Blanchett's and Bale's performances, among the best, are also the easiest to understand. Playing Jude Quinn and Jack Rollins, respectively, the actors ostensibly portray Dylan at different stages in his life. The significances of other roles - Heath Ledger's portrayal of actor Robbie, Richard Gere's downtrodden Billy and the young Marcus Carl Franklin's ("Lackawanna Blues") pre-adolescent, black Woody - are harder to identify.

With all the intersecting storylines, it's hard to empathize with any single version of Dylan. The viewer might have to settle for sitting back and watching the film objectively, like a visitor to the MoMA might stare at that painting. From this standpoint, "I'm Not There" is wonderful. The film splits into parts as Haynes and his cinematographer Edward Lachman establish a different lighting scheme and film stock for each story. For the Jude Quinn portion, it's grainy black and white, summoning the contemporary documentaries of the 1960s. For the Billy the Kid section, it's a beautiful color scheme that accentuates the picturesque nature of the landscape. And for Jack Rollins's story, it's a washed-out image that mimics the look of '70s film.

Fans of avant-garde will most appreciate what Haynes has set out to accomplish. With clear intent - to make a movie not about Dylan's life, but about what Dylan represents - the film is to audiences what the singer was to his listeners. For those who want to take from the film greater significance and attribute to it the same messianic qualities forced on the young Dylan, there's enough cryptic material to inspire such a search. For those who thought Dylan was just another singer and this is just another movie, there's that possibility as well.

This much is clear: Haynes, seeing in Dylan what so many other fans and disciples have already recognized, had the guts to make a film that destroys convention - just like its subject.

4 out of 5 stars.
29th November 2007 04:19 PM
Ade thanks for the reviews guys -
hope to catch it at the cinema, in the next week or two
29th November 2007 05:08 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Ade wrote:
thanks for the reviews guys -
hope to catch it at the cinema, in the next week or two

You know we will be interested in your opinion, Ade as the Sway Sisters are not in agreement on this one!
30th November 2007 11:45 AM
Martha Hey Sway Sister! Are you going to see the film a second time? I am thinking about it, but may just wait for the DVD release. I didn't hate the film, it certainly had lots of interesting moments, it was just too dark of a portrayal of Bob for my taste.

Did anyone else see it yet?

xxoo,
Martha
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)