ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jack White guests with Bob Dylan (and other Dylan stuff) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
24th September 2007 12:53 PM
time is on my side Just saw the next two shows after the surprises in Nashville and, surprise, there were no surprises. Just some great TIMES with Bob. Only new songs I saw were the ones to be expected, Bob playing and showcasing the songs from Modern Romance (Rollin' and Tumblin', Spirit on the Water, Workingman's Blues #2, Nettie Moore, Thunder on the Mountain, and When the Deal Goes Down). So 60% of the album has now been seen live by me (will hopefully see The Levee's Gonna Break and Ain't Talkin down the road sometime & still no Visions of Johanna, my fav Bob song, despite seeing Bob over 30 times). If you notice (setlist provided below), he played virtually the same setlist both nights outside of a few minor changes (changing Ballad of Hollis Brown for John Brown, Nettie Moore for When the Deal Goes Down, and Masters of War for Like a Rolling Stone). Even Elvis Costello's set was about the same both nights (he made a reference that he thought he was playing in Duluth, Minnesota only to find out later he was playing in Duluth, Georgia)

Still I'm not complaining. The venues were great, my seats were fantastic and could only be classified as great, the band was great, and Bob was, well, great. Yes, I had a great time.

Duluth, Geogia

September 22, 2007

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Bob on electric guitar)
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob on electric guitar)
3. Watching The River Flow (Bob on electric guitar)
4. Just Like A Woman (Bob on electric keyboard and harp)
5. Rollin' And Tumblin' (Bob on electric keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin)
6. Spirit On The Water (Bob on electric keyboard and harp, Tony on standup bass)
7. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
(Bob on electric keyboard, Donnie on Banjo and mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
8. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
(Bob on electric keyboard and harp)
9. Honest With Me (Bob on electric keyboard)
10. Workingman's Blues #2 (Bob on electric keyboard)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on electric keyboard)
12. Nettie Moore (Bob on electric keyboard, Donnie on violin)
13. Summer Days (Bob on electric keyboard, Tony on standup bass)
14. Masters Of War (Bob on electric keyboard)

(encore)
15. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on electric keyboard)
16. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on electric keyboard)

Clemson, South Carolina

September 23, 2007

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
3. Watching The River Flow
4. Just Like A Woman
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Spirit On The Water
7. John Brown
8. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
9. Honest With Me
10. Workingman's Blues #2
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. When The Deal Goes Down
13. Summer Days
14. Like A Rolling Stone

(encore)

15. Thunder on the Mountain
16. All Along The Watchtower

[Edited by time is on my side]
24th September 2007 01:34 PM
Martha Meg! Thanks for putting up the footage of Bob and Jack performing Coffee.

U made my day sister!

xxoo,
Martha
26th September 2007 03:37 AM
Ade check out the setlist from last night's show...wow

Norfolk, Virginia
Old Dominion University
Ted Constant Convocation Center
September 25, 2007

1. Cat's In The Well
2. Seńor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
3. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
4. This Wheel's On Fire
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Spirit On The Water
7. High Water (For Charlie Patton)
8. Chimes Of Freedom
9. Honest With Me
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Nettie Moore
13. Summer Days
14. Masters Of War

(encore)
15. Thunder On The Mountain
26th September 2007 11:15 AM
Martha Fabulous set! I love Cat's, and Senor....I cannot wait to see Bob.

Got tickets for all three Chicago shows yesterday morning. Parmeda will you be hitting any of these shows?! My Mother will be able to join us for the Monday night show, it will be her 3rd time seeing Bob. My 38th.

And Bob's TTRH today had a short interview with Marriane Faithful. I am in heaven on Wednesdays....XMX!

xxoo,
Martha
28th September 2007 04:49 AM
Ade Marianne eh?
i'll look forward to hearing this over the weekend.
thanks for the info
28th September 2007 09:48 AM
Martha Where/when are you seeing Bob, Ade?
[Edited by Martha]
29th September 2007 04:37 AM
Ade No plans at the moment Martha - based in the UK.
saw the 2 excellent Wembley shows in April.
Hopefully he returns v.soon!

what shows have you got planned?
29th September 2007 12:15 PM
parmeda
quote:
Martha wrote:
Got tickets for all three Chicago shows yesterday morning. Parmeda will you be hitting any of these shows?! My Mother will be able to join us for the Monday night show, it will be her 3rd time seeing Bob. My 38th.

Sunday night, woman...it's a date!

Don't know if the M&M-man will be joining me or if I have to drag my other partner in crime along - but, I'll let you know. Either way, WE WILL get together before the show!

Already have plans for Saturday and Monday is pretty much out of the question because of work, and the week before I'm catching Bruce for 2 nights. I keep this shit up, I'll be in divorce court or out of a job!

See you in a month, darlink!
29th September 2007 03:27 PM
Martha SUNDAY is MY BEST DAY TOO!!!!!!!! It's a DATE! I hope the M&M man comes too. I will need my chocolate! :-)

Got to fly......but I'll email you this week.

I can't WAIT to see you again RNR Sister!

xxoo,
Martha
30th September 2007 12:08 AM
lotsajizz Another fine night by Uncle Bob, this time down at URI's Ryan Center. Elvis Costello opened and was superb! His voice is so powerful, I wonder if he even needs a microphone! A gorgeous "Alison" was his highlight. As for Bob and the band...what else needs be said, may the Never Ending Tour be just that! The highlight for me was 'Hollis Brown'---terrifying, just like it should be....'Watchtower' had some rippin' guitar lines....

4. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
7. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
8. Spirit On The Water
9. Things Have Changed
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Ain't Talkin'
13. Summer Days
14. Masters Of War

(encore)
3rd October 2007 04:32 AM
Ade nice setlist, from last night:-

Worcester, Massachusetts
DCU Center
October 2, 2007

4. John Brown
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. High Water (For Charlie Patton)
8. Beyond The Horizon
9. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
10. Spirit On The Water
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Ain't Talkin'
13. Summer Days
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)
3rd October 2007 08:33 AM
Ade a 2-cd set , will be available from Nov 2oth,
titled ' The Best Of Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour'

you can pre order:-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VQQJRQ?tag=expectingrain-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B000VQQJRQ&creative=373489&camp=211189

9th October 2007 03:47 AM
Ade 'Bob Dylan Night'

BBC-4 (UK)

Sunday 14th October

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/bobdylan/
9th October 2007 03:53 AM
Erik_Snow THanks Ade
9th October 2007 08:10 AM
Gazza Half the show consists of songs released in this decade.

Some 60's relic....!
9th October 2007 10:47 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Half the show consists of songs released in this decade.

Some 60's relic....!

But the stuff released in this decade sounds it was released in the '40s
9th October 2007 11:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

But the stuff released in this decade sounds it was released in the '40s

LOL. Mel, I believe the description you're scrambling for is that it's "timeless"
9th October 2007 11:37 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL. Mel, I believe the description you're scrambling for is that it's "timeless"

I kid because I love.
10th October 2007 03:28 AM
Ade last nights setlist:-

Rochester, New York
Rochester Institue Of Technology
RIT Fieldhouse
October 9 2007

1. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
2. It Ain't Me, Babe
4. Positively 4th Street
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. Things Have Changed
8. Desolation Row
9. High Water (For Charlie Patton)
10. Spirit On The Water
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Ain't Talkin'
13. Summer Days
14. Masters Of War

(encore)
11th October 2007 08:26 AM
Gazza Dylan At Newport 1963-65 - The Best Concert Movie Ever?
2007-10-10 17:09:34

I’m not sure what I was expecting from Murray Lerner’s The Other Side Of The Mirror – Bob Dylan At The Newport Folk Festival 1963-1965, which I went to see last night at the BFI Southbank last night.

It was going to be fascinating, for sure. That much would have been evident from the clips we’ve seen down the years, most recently in Martin Scorsese’s No Direction Home.

In the event, Lerner’s film, the content of which has been dormant in the vaults for fully 40 years, turns out to be an absolute revelation, one of the best concert movies I’ve ever seen and possibly the best footage of Dylan in performance ever shot.

The film documents Dylan’s three consecutive appearances at the Newport Folk Festival, climaxing with the 1965 electric set that so stunned festival traditionalists, who were appalled by what they saw as Dylan’s betrayal of everything they held most dear and cherished and responded to Bob plugging in with howls of bitter outrage and a lot of loud booing.

Earlier, of course, a lot of these same people were at Dylan’s feet and you can clearly see their adoration on screen as the impossibly young Bob, playing an afternoon workshop, reduces them to admiring awe with a sparklingly playful “All I Really Want To Do” and a grave “With God On Our Side”, on which he’s joined by a fearsomely shrill Joan Baez, unambiguously besotted. By the end of the song, her caterwauling grim beyond words, you’re actually surprised that Dylan’s been able to stop himself from elbowing the hapless woman in the throat to shut her the fuck up.

There’s an absolutely fantastic version from 1963 of “Who Killed Davey Moore?”, whose latent ferocity seems to anticipate the later “It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)” and a dignified “Only A Pawn In Their Game”, both of which are lapped up hungrily by the Newport crowd.

The change a year later in Dylan’s appearance and relationship with the same crowd is dramatic – the bashful shirt-sleeved boy genius of 1964 has already given way to a sharply-dressed nascent hipster, immediately bantering with the audience, a buzzing livewire. Great footage in this section, too, of Johnny Cash, looking totally fucked on a version of “Don’t Think Twice”.

“Who needs him? He’s sold out,” a belligerent young fuck, full of himself in front of the cameras, announces boldly early in the final section, giving voice to the hostility that later greets Dylan when, fronting an electric band, he unleashes “Maggie’s Farm” and “Like A Rolling Stone”, with Mike Bloomfield astonishing on lead guitar.

Filmed in sumptuous black and white, The Other Side Of The Mirror looks spectacular, and the music is of course great. But what makes Lerner’s film so brilliant is its basic simplicity – it’s mostly just Bob and his songs, with occasional conversational asides. Mercifully, Lerner doesn’t feel obliged to drag in a procession of so-called experts to explain the significance of what we’re watching - and by God, what a relief it is not to have to sit through another pontificating parade of talking heads. Lerner lets the music speak for itself, which it does eloquently and unforgettably.

Don’t miss this when it airs as part of an Arena special this coming Sunday on BBC4, starting at 9.00pm. If you miss that, the DVD’s released on October 29.

- Allan jones, 'Uncut' editor

www.uncut.co.uk
11th October 2007 08:36 AM
Gazza The 2-CD soundtrack to the new movie "I'm Not There" is also being released on 29th October.

it features versions of 34 Dylan songs covered by others - with the first ever release of DYLAN's original version of the title track, a legendary 'Basement Tapes' outtake which is one of his most sought after unreleased recordings.

(Think thats Cate Blanchett on the album cover, isnt it?)

[Edited by Gazza]
12th October 2007 03:33 AM
Ade last night's setlist:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
University Of Pittsburgh
Petersen Events Center
October 11, 2007

2. It Ain't Me, Babe
4. Love Sick
5. Tangled Up In Blue
6. Workingman's Blues #2
7. Rollin' And Tumblin'
8. Spirit On The Water
9. Things Have Changed
10. Beyond The Horizon
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Nettie Moore
13. Summer Days
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)
12th October 2007 12:03 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Dylan At Newport 1963-65 - The Best Concert Movie Ever?
2007-10-10 17:09:34

I’m not sure what I was expecting from Murray Lerner’s The Other Side Of The Mirror – Bob Dylan At The Newport Folk Festival 1963-1965, which I went to see last night at the BFI Southbank last night.

It was going to be fascinating, for sure. That much would have been evident from the clips we’ve seen down the years, most recently in Martin Scorsese’s No Direction Home.

In the event, Lerner’s film, the content of which has been dormant in the vaults for fully 40 years, turns out to be an absolute revelation, one of the best concert movies I’ve ever seen and possibly the best footage of Dylan in performance ever shot.

The film documents Dylan’s three consecutive appearances at the Newport Folk Festival, climaxing with the 1965 electric set that so stunned festival traditionalists, who were appalled by what they saw as Dylan’s betrayal of everything they held most dear and cherished and responded to Bob plugging in with howls of bitter outrage and a lot of loud booing.

Earlier, of course, a lot of these same people were at Dylan’s feet and you can clearly see their adoration on screen as the impossibly young Bob, playing an afternoon workshop, reduces them to admiring awe with a sparklingly playful “All I Really Want To Do” and a grave “With God On Our Side”, on which he’s joined by a fearsomely shrill Joan Baez, unambiguously besotted. By the end of the song, her caterwauling grim beyond words, you’re actually surprised that Dylan’s been able to stop himself from elbowing the hapless woman in the throat to shut her the fuck up.

There’s an absolutely fantastic version from 1963 of “Who Killed Davey Moore?”, whose latent ferocity seems to anticipate the later “It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)” and a dignified “Only A Pawn In Their Game”, both of which are lapped up hungrily by the Newport crowd.

The change a year later in Dylan’s appearance and relationship with the same crowd is dramatic – the bashful shirt-sleeved boy genius of 1964 has already given way to a sharply-dressed nascent hipster, immediately bantering with the audience, a buzzing livewire. Great footage in this section, too, of Johnny Cash, looking totally fucked on a version of “Don’t Think Twice”.

“Who needs him? He’s sold out,” a belligerent young fuck, full of himself in front of the cameras, announces boldly early in the final section, giving voice to the hostility that later greets Dylan when, fronting an electric band, he unleashes “Maggie’s Farm” and “Like A Rolling Stone”, with Mike Bloomfield astonishing on lead guitar.

Filmed in sumptuous black and white, The Other Side Of The Mirror looks spectacular, and the music is of course great. But what makes Lerner’s film so brilliant is its basic simplicity – it’s mostly just Bob and his songs, with occasional conversational asides. Mercifully, Lerner doesn’t feel obliged to drag in a procession of so-called experts to explain the significance of what we’re watching - and by God, what a relief it is not to have to sit through another pontificating parade of talking heads. Lerner lets the music speak for itself, which it does eloquently and unforgettably.

Don’t miss this when it airs as part of an Arena special this coming Sunday on BBC4, starting at 9.00pm. If you miss that, the DVD’s released on October 29.

- Allan jones, 'Uncut' editor

www.uncut.co.uk

I have the DVD and will be watching it this weekend, with my Mother who's visitng right now. She's the reason I am a music freak. Always had the radio on in our home, or records spinnin'.

Gary, this review makes me giddy!

Very nicely written. :-)

I love you darlin',
MM
[Edited by Martha]
12th October 2007 12:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The 2-CD soundtrack to the new movie "I'm Not There" is also being released on 29th October.

it features versions of 34 Dylan songs covered by others - with the first ever release of DYLAN's original version of the title track, a legendary 'Basement Tapes' outtake which is one of his most sought after unreleased recordings.

“All Along The Watchtower” :: Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers
“As I Went Out One Morning” :: Mira Billotte
“Ballad Of A Thin Man” :: Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers
“Billy” :: Los Lobos
“Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window” :: The Hold Steady
“Can’t Leave Her Behind” :: Stephen Malkmus & Lee Ranaldo
“Cold Irons Bound” :: Tom Verlaine & The Million Dollar Bashers
“Dark Eyes” :: Iron & Wine & Calexico
“Fourth Time Around” :: Yo La Tengo
“Goin’ To Acapulco” :: Jim James & Calexico
“Highway 61 Revisited” :: Karen O & The Million Dollar Bashers
“I Wanna Be Your Lover” :: Yo La Tengo
“I’m Not There” :: Bob Dylan
“I’m Not There” :: Sonic Youth
“Just Like A Woman” :: Charlotte Gainsbourg & Calexico
“Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues” :: Ramblin’ Jack Elliot
“Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” :: Antony & The Johnsons
“The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll” :: Mason Jennings
“Maggie’s Farm” :: Stephen Malkmus & The Million Dollar Bashers
“Mama You’ve Been On My Mind” :: Jack Johnson
“The Man In The Long Black Coat” :: Mark Lanegan
“Moonshiner” :: Bob Forrest
“One More Cup Of Coffee” :: Roger McGuinn & Calexico
“Pressing On” :: John Doe
“Ring Them Bells” :: Sufjan Stevens
“Seńor (Tales Of Yankee Power)” :: Willie Nelson & Calexico
“Simple Twist Of Fate” :: Jeff Tweedy
“Stuck Inside Of Mobile With Memphis Blues Again” :: Cat Power
“The Times They Are A Changin’” :: Mason Jennings
“Tombstone Blues” :: Richie Havens
“When The Ship Comes In” :: Marcus Carl Franklin
“Wicked Messenger” :: The Black Keys
“You Ain’t Goin ‘Nowhere” :: Glen Hansard & Markta Irglov

btw, I have the complete Basement Tapes recordings. With the original version of "I'm Not There' if anyone is looking for it
12th October 2007 12:31 PM
_Boomy_ Mark Lanegan? That has to be a good cover of "The Man in the Long Black Coat".
12th October 2007 03:10 PM
jostorm Hey, Martha! I thought of you last night. Managed to catch Derek Trucks and his band at the tiny 800 people Carling Academy in Islington, London. Amazing place, when I win in the lottery that's where we'll all have the Stones play for us RO friends, just this long rectangle, wooden stage, amazing air conditioning system. It felt like being outside on a nice, cool Spring night,built for the now-gone smoking days I suppose...
Anyway, the man's a fucking genius. And the black singer's voice is awe-inspiring live, probably works on me a bit like motherwort.... You simply don't know where his beautiful voice is coming from, it may as well be Joey's bowels, over in Omahaha....They mostly played stuff from Songlines,some I didn't know, the blues were just divine, the more atonal jazzy songs I didn't much care for. All in all a lovely night...
12th October 2007 08:34 PM
Martha
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Hey, Martha! I thought of you last night. Managed to catch Derek Trucks and his band at the tiny 800 people Carling Academy in Islington, London. Amazing place, when I win in the lottery that's where we'll all have the Stones play for us RO friends, just this long rectangle, wooden stage, amazing air conditioning system. It felt like being outside on a nice, cool Spring night,built for the now-gone smoking days I suppose...
Anyway, the man's a fucking genius. And the black singer's voice is awe-inspiring live, probably works on me a bit like motherwort.... You simply don't know where his beautiful voice is coming from, it may as well be Joey's bowels, over in Omahaha....They mostly played stuff from Songlines,some I didn't know, the blues were just divine, the more atonal jazzy songs I didn't much care for. All in all a lovely night...

Jo......did I tell you? Derek is my CHILD! LOL

I am so happy to hear you hit their show and in such a small venue....AWESOME! Derek makes the sound of pure JOY come out of that SG.

Was Susan Tedeschi with him?

It's so nice to know you thought of me. Thanks for letting me know that. You make me smile.

Keep on rockin' sister. ;-)

xxoo,
Martha
13th October 2007 05:05 AM
jostorm No, there wasn't a single woman on stage, but they had a very big,jolly, black South African guest singer for just one song, they introduced him as "The voice of SA" and he was called Bussy "Bumwubalemtutulele", or something like that....

And you're welcome, Dahling,however, as soon as the UK government starts taxing my thoughts, I shall have to be more careful about when I think about people I like....
13th October 2007 11:11 PM
Martha Meg's seeing Bob tonight in Cowtown. The set should be posting any time now. I hope she got Visions. I can't wait to hear.

13th October 2007 11:25 PM
Martha Here it is hot off the press!

Columbus, Ohio
Ohio State University
Jerome Schottenstein Center
Value City Arena
October 13, 2007

2. It Ain't Me, Babe
4. Love Sick
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Spirit On The Water
7. Things Have Changed
8. Workingman's Blues #2
9. High Water (For Charlie Patton)
10. When The Deal Goes Down
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Ain't Talkin'
13. Summer Days
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)

(Thanks to Thanks to Roberto Bergadano and Jayne Watson for the phone calls.)

Band Members
Bob Dylan - electric guitar, keyboard, harp
Tony Garnier - bass
George Recile - drums
Stu Kimball - rhythm guitar
Denny Freeman - lead guitar
Donnie Herron - violin, viola, banjo, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)