ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Madison Square Garden, June 1975
© Claude Gassian with thanks to Rockman and Erik_Snow ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones, Beatles Begin Losing UK Copyrights in 2013 Return to archive
27th November 2006 08:09 PM
SweetVirginia From NME.com:

Bands lose battle to extend copyright on their songs-

The Beatles and Rolling Stones could lose royalties-

The Beatles and Rolling Stones could be set to lose out on royalties after failing to extend copyright on their songs beyond 50 years.

An independent review commissioned by the UK Treasury ruled that the current laws are to remain in place despite artists, including Cliff Richard, lobbying for copyright to be extended on their songs to 95 years to bring it into line with American laws.

The move means that the likes of the earliest Beatles recordings from 1963 will be out of copyright by 2013, and the remaining members will not be entitled to royalties.

The review was conducted for Chancellor Gordon Brown by Andrew Gowers, a former editor of the Financial Times, reports BBC News.
27th November 2006 08:23 PM
mrhipfl they're gonna have to step up touring to keep the millions flowing
27th November 2006 08:26 PM
Gazza the Stones should be ok as they didnt write their own songs for a year or two after that, generally!
27th November 2006 09:01 PM
SweetVirginia
The other good news: the copyright on "Rain Fall Down" is good until 2055.
28th November 2006 01:49 AM
glencar
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

The other good news: the copyright on "Rain Fall Down" is good until 2055.

Am I the only one who rocks to that song?
28th November 2006 11:19 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
glencar wrote:
Am I the only one who rocks to that song?

LOL..Apparently so.........I'm worried about all the uncontrolled copies of SOL that we'll see in 2055!!!!
28th November 2006 11:28 AM
nankerphelge Didn't Michael "I like them without hair" Jackson get worldwide rights to the Beatles collection. I think he did.

Not sure if ABKCO got the Stones UK rights for pre-'71 -- that may have only been for US rights.

28th November 2006 11:38 AM
Saint Sway Wow! Sounds like more tough times for Michael Jackson.
28th November 2006 01:04 PM
Stonesthrow
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Didn't Michael "I like them without hair" Jackson get worldwide rights to the Beatles collection. I think he did.

Not sure if ABKCO got the Stones UK rights for pre-'71 -- that may have only been for US rights.

If I heard correctly, Jackson's burgeoning financial problems caused him to sell off about 1/2 of the catalog rights to one of the giant music companies (Sony, Universal, BMG, or someone like that), and he pledged another 1/4 as collateral for loans. I also heard that Sir Paul might be mounting a full court press to try to get the rights back. However, for the moment, his marital woes may undercut that effort.

[Edited by Stonesthrow]
28th November 2006 05:06 PM
Soldatti I bet the rights will be updated soon with a new law.
28th November 2006 08:44 PM
sweetcharmedlife I'm there for the 2014 tour!
28th November 2006 09:19 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

i think Klein has it sewn up world wide
- can anyone confirm - Gazza??

28th November 2006 10:39 PM
pdog Has anyone thought how Hermans Hermits will be affected by this?
29th November 2006 12:18 AM
Stonesthrow
quote:
pdog wrote:
Has anyone thought how Hermans Hermits will be affected by this?

Imagine rap versions of I'm Henry VIII and Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter. It makes me all tingly.
If I didn't have a reason to live before, now I have it. Come on 2015.
29th November 2006 12:19 AM
SweetVirginia
quote:
pdog wrote:
Has anyone thought how Hermans Hermits will be affected by this?

Or Paul Revere and the Raiders?
29th November 2006 11:55 AM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i think Klein has it sewn up world wide
- can anyone confirm - Gazza??

Fuctifino, but I would imagine you're right my friend
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)