ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Madison Square Garden, June 1975
© Claude Gassian with thanks to Rockman and Erik_Snow ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: White Album vs. Exile Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th November 2006 01:49 AM
MikeyC613 If you took the White Album down to 18 tracks to equal the amount of songs to Exile, how would they stack up?

I think the White Album is pretty fantastic, although it's inconsistent and as a whole, doesn't have the "vibe" Exile does. However, what would your top 18 White Album tracks be for the sake of track to track competition w/ Exile?

MINE

1. Back in the USSR
2. Glass Onion
3. O-Bla-Di, O-Bla-Da
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun
6. Blackbird
7. Rocky Racoon
8. Why Don't We Do it in the Road?
9. I Will
10. Julia
11. Birthday
12. Yer Blues
13. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
14. Helter Skelter
15. Revolution 1
16. Savoy Truffle
17. Cry, Baby, Cry
18. Dear Prudence

Would it stack up any better with Exile?
27th November 2006 05:11 AM
Gazza George Martin always believed that there was far too much self indulgent fluff on that album and that it would have been far better as a single LP. He's absolutely right of course, although in the CD age, maybe it could still have worked if stretched out to the length of one CD. However, it just flows better when it has 'sides' like an LP does.

1. Back In the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
4. Bungalow Bill
5. While my guitar gently weeps
6. Happiness is a warm gun
7. I'm So Tired
8. Blackbird
9. Piggies
10. Dont Pass Me By
11. I Will
12. Julia
13. Birthday
14. Yer Blues
15. Helter Skelter
16. Revolution 1
17. Revolution 9
18. Good Night

Even with that line up, it would still be only the 3rd best Beatles album behind 'Abbey Road' and 'Revolver' - and none of the three are as great as 'Exile' (although 'Abbey Road' runs it very close)
[Edited by Gazza]
27th November 2006 05:38 AM
corgi37 No fucking comparing, or "versus" or even equals.

Exile kicks it's faggoty ass.

Or, is it arse?
27th November 2006 07:10 AM
Gazza It's 'arse'

As you chose to use the American term 'faggoty', the correct word to follow should be 'ass'

Had you said it in an English (and maybe Aussie) accent, it would have been it's "poofy arse"

happy to help.
27th November 2006 08:23 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It's 'arse'

As you chose to use the American term 'faggoty', the correct word to follow should be 'ass'

Had you said it in an English (and maybe Aussie) accent, it would have been it's "poofy arse"

happy to help.

Gazza...resident expert not only on Stones, but also of the appropriate usage of derrogatory slang!
27th November 2006 08:29 AM
Mel Belli I'm a first-six-Beatles-albums kind of guy. Everything that follows, while often great, doesn't equal to the melodies and hooks they were able to churn out in those first three, glorious years.
27th November 2006 09:16 AM
gimmekeef To compare anything with Rocky Raccoon and Obla Dee....on it versus Exile is doing a grave injustice to the majesty that is Exile.....What next?....Uncle Albert??
27th November 2006 09:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Gazza...resident expert not only on Stones, but also of the appropriate usage of derrogatory slang!

27th November 2006 09:59 AM
glencar
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
To compare anything with Rocky Raccoon and Obla Dee....on it versus Exile is doing a grave injustice to the majesty that is Exile.....What next?....Uncle Albert??

QFT! I saw a license plate the other day in Virginia "oblada" & all I could think was "faggoty Rutles fan"!
27th November 2006 10:23 AM
Saint Sway there should be no need to compare a scattered, crappy beatle album with only a few mediocre songs on it to the greatest album ever made
27th November 2006 05:07 PM
Soldatti Two great albums but Exile is much better.
27th November 2006 05:11 PM
Fiji Joe Any album that contains Rocky Raccoon cannot be taken seriously...Who can't see that?
27th November 2006 05:13 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
To compare anything with Rocky Raccoon and Obla Dee....on it versus Exile is doing a grave injustice to the majesty that is Exile.....What next?....Uncle Albert??

I was thinking that same thought...Throw in Norwegian Wood and let's all just get real ghey
27th November 2006 05:14 PM
texile love the beatles.....
but exile is a different animal - there is no comparison.

hey corgi, is that your .....instrument in that pic? beautiful,
i've got a 72 hummingbird....it's majestic.

27th November 2006 05:15 PM
Joey " ...Who can't see that? "

27th November 2006 05:24 PM
Fiji Joe Given my limited involvement here, and the terms of my Lotus Couch contract that allows me to only post my C material, trolling this site for stuff to copy must be like looking for Tolstoy at the Wal-Mart checkout counter

27th November 2006 05:26 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
texile wrote:
love the beatles.....
but exile is a different animal - there is no comparison.

hey corgi, is that your .....instrument in that pic? beautiful,
i've got a 72 hummingbird....it's majestic.

Pops has a 1960 hummingbird...He told me he was going to sell it...should fetch a nice sum
[Edited by Fiji Joe]
27th November 2006 06:00 PM
Joey " Given my limited involvement here, and the terms of my Lotus Couch contract that allows me to only post my C material, trolling this site for stuff to copy must be like looking for Tolstoy at the Wal-Mart checkout counter"

27th November 2006 06:02 PM
Joey " Pops has a 1960 hummingbird...He told me he was going to sell it...should fetch a nice sum "

27th November 2006 10:02 PM
StarvinMarvin Sorry, The White Album is better. Exile rules though - I don't understand why so many people diss it.
27th November 2006 10:40 PM
Cocaine Eyes One word - Exile!
27th November 2006 10:42 PM
Zack
quote:
Gazza wrote:
George Martin always believed that there was far too much self indulgent fluff on that album and that it would have been far better as a single LP. He's absolutely right of course, although in the CD age, maybe it could still have worked if stretched out to the length of one CD. However, it just flows better when it has 'sides' like an LP does.

1. Back In the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
4. Bungalow Bill
5. While my guitar gently weeps
6. Happiness is a warm gun
7. I'm So Tired
8. Blackbird
9. Piggies
10. Dont Pass Me By
11. I Will
12. Julia
13. Birthday
14. Yer Blues
15. Helter Skelter
16. Revolution 1
17. Revolution 9
18. Good Night

Even with that line up, it would still be only the 3rd best Beatles album behind 'Abbey Road' and 'Revolver' - and none of the three are as great as 'Exile' (although 'Abbey Road' runs it very close)
[Edited by Gazza]

I agree with you Gazza, but leave on Revolution 9 while deleting Sexy Sadie? That's a classic as opposed to a Yoko tune.
27th November 2006 10:58 PM
TrevorHobley Apples and oranges, my friend.
27th November 2006 11:49 PM
Rizollin I found the White Album more immediately accessible but the sum of it's parts falls well short of Exile. Now how about
Rubber Soul vs. Let it Bleed? Try playing one after the other.
27th November 2006 11:57 PM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
Rizollin wrote:
I found the White Album more immediately accessible but the sum of it's parts falls well short of Exile. Now how about
Rubber Soul vs. Let it Bleed? Try playing one after the other.

Easy. Let It Bleed walks all over Rubber Soul.

But what about Between the Buttons vs. Magical Mystery Tour? These two 1967 psychedelic albums are excellent and it's difficult to say which is better. I'm on the fence on this queation.
[Edited by StarvinMarvin]
28th November 2006 12:54 AM
Kilroy Here we go again. Exhile On Main Street and I'm, (was a), Beatle fan. Exhile is Rock-n-Roll at it's best The White Album is too you know, Rocky Racoon, POP!
Although Revolution #9 Is way ahead of our time.
28th November 2006 01:44 AM
glencar Frankly, I can't think of one Rutles album that was released circa the same time as any Stones album that outdoes it. Then again, I'm a Stones fan.
28th November 2006 02:07 AM
WinslowStud I don't know about this Exile album, but my son loves Rocky Racoon. It's a good song.
28th November 2006 02:08 AM
glencar Your son also likes cock.
28th November 2006 03:30 AM
Prodigal Son While I am one of the few on RO who likes the Beatles AND Stones, I find that post-1966 the Stones were superior. Early on, their LPs weren't the best representation of their sound because many were devoid of their awesome singles. So of the 1963-66 period, I prefer Aftermath, Rolling Stones Now! and England's Newest Hitmakers over Please Please Me, With the Beatles and Help but not the other ones. December's Children is more mediocre than any Beatles LP, IMO (unless the Yellow Submarine "soundtrack" counts) while Out of their heads, 12X5 only beat out Please Please Me and Help! in my books. But after Revolver?

Between the Buttons--->Sgt. Pepper
TSMR<-----Magical Mystery Tour (only cause of "side" 2)
Beggar's Banquet----->White Album
Let it Bleed----->Abbey Road
Sticky Fingers------>Let it Be
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)