ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Madison Square Garden, June 1975
© Claude Gassian with thanks to Rockman and Erik_Snow ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new fueds between keith and mick? Return to archive
26th November 2006 11:18 PM
cantturnyouloose I was at the Vancouver show last night and there seemed to be something going on between Keith and Mick. All night there was a hostile type vibe from Kieth, which showed itself most noticably during "Streets of Love" - Kieth seemed to be pissed he had to play it and seemed just to want to get it over with. Then at the end when Mick was trying to breath some life into the song Keith gave him these looks like he was nuts. And I mean Keith barely even played any guitar during this one.

Then during band intros Mick gave everyone a nice loving intro and Kieth got nothing but his name

On You Can't Always Get What You Want keef was going real slow and you could tell Mick was getting upset and wanted to pick it up and keith only budged a little big picking up the tempo

there is a weird vibe between them two

anyone notice it as much as I did? any other examples?
26th November 2006 11:28 PM
CraigP I don't blame Keith (during S.O.L.)

Yeah. Reminds me- If you watch the 81' concert footage by director Hal Ashby entitled "Let's Spend the Night Together", you will notice that during the intros before Keith's "Little T&A", Mick intros everyone and delays Keith's by far, almost pretending he isn't there.
27th November 2006 12:24 AM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
cantturnyouloose wrote:

anyone notice it as much as I did? any other examples?

Nope. Personally, I think you inhaled too much of the BC bud that was drifting around the stadium. Oh wait a minute...that was me...but to get to the point, and to be perfectly honest, I think you're reading WAY too much into this. I didn't notice anything even remotely close to the level of hostility you are describing. Mick didn't have a chance to properly intro Keith anyway - the crowd started going nuts, and even Keith wasn't able to say a word for about three minutes.

And even if what you are describing is 100% accurate, I think you are more than a bit little hasty in presuming a new feud between Mick and Keith. Many people on this board have noted examples of geniune affection between Mick and Keith during recent shows, so you could just as easily make an assumption that Mick and Keith are in love based on these few shows.
27th November 2006 05:43 AM
corgi37 Mick gave Bill a harder time during intro's than anyone! Plus, Keith sang 3 songs. Though i'd say that was to give Mick's vocal chords a nice rest.
27th November 2006 09:42 AM
polytoxic
quote:
cantturnyouloose wrote:
I was at the Vancouver show last night and there seemed to be something going on between Keith and Mick. All night there was a hostile type vibe from Kieth, which showed itself most noticably during "Streets of Love" - Kieth seemed to be pissed he had to play it and seemed just to want to get it over with.

I love the notion of Keith being pissed off playing Streets of Shit.
Oh Keith! Sorry I ever doubted you!
27th November 2006 09:44 AM
glencar Is this the return of sunnybandy?
27th November 2006 10:37 AM
Joey " anyone notice it as much as I did? any other examples?"

<----- No !!!! ...... NO !!!!!!!!

You tell 'em Lil' Buddy ( Lil' Fiji )
27th November 2006 10:39 AM
mojoman
quote:
StarvinMarvin wrote:

Nope. Personally, I think you inhaled too much of the BC bud that was drifting around the stadium. Oh wait a minute...that was me...

funny!!!
27th November 2006 12:24 PM
gimmekeef You know after 115 intros of the band this tour...it wouldnt kill Keith... ONCE....to say something nice about the greatest frontman in the history of rock...would it?
27th November 2006 12:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
You know after 115 intros of the band this tour...it wouldnt kill Keith... ONCE....to say something nice about the greatest frontman in the history of rock...would it?

agreed!!!

unfortunately Keith thought it would be knee-slapping hilarious to say "Its good to be here, its good to be anywhere" 115 times instead

[Edited by Saint Sway]
27th November 2006 01:15 PM
poor immigrant This is the review I posted here as soon as I got home from the show, you can see I alluded to this hostility throughout!!

------------
Just got home, here we go!...

THE SONGS...

1. Jumpin Jack Flash- there is nothing, NOTHING in the world to compare with that moment when the lights go down and Keith hits those opening chords, hunched over his guitar with Charlie kicking in behind him while Mick runs by at 100 miles an hour to sing those opening notes. It's like that feeling you get when the roller coaster starts to go down the hill. Very good version. Mick going nuts. Charlie doing more fills than I've ever heard! Keith looked like an ancient statue come to life, wearing the Devils grin.
2. It's Only Rock and Roll- This rocked.
3. Oh No Not You Again- One of the highlights of the night. Charlie's 4 on the floor bass drum near the end was killer.
4. She Was Hot- I was praying for this one. It was good, but Mick made a lyric mistake that seemed to throw him a bit, and Keith was less involved that the boot versions I'd heard so far.
5. Shine a Light- Mick tried to fake us out by thanking Bonnie Raitt "who is probably off somewhere drinking champagne". They kicked the tune off and she came right out to duet w/Mick. No guitar for her. They'd sing the chorus line together and then she'd take the gospel-y 'oooooo' while Mick sang the "make every song you sing, your favorite tune" part alone. Very cool.
6. Streets of Love- Keith on acoustic, which he barely played. In fact, it was at this point that I noticed a serious rift between the Twins. Keith's demeanor during this one seemed to be one of "let's get this crap song over with". The live version is far better than the studio, but it still drags. Mick did his best ad libbing to try to lift it near the end, and Keith looked at him like he was crazy to even try. Keith kind of clowned around behind Mick, who was all business, and it seemed kind of disrespectful.
7. Midnight Rambler- probably the best song of the night. The middle breakdown shows why they are the best. Stunning. Keith was ON.
8. Tumbling Dice- It's become alittle to family friendly at this point, but it was fun. Could've used more swagger.
INTROS- Mick had nice things to say about everyone, but really rushed his Keith intro and did not really acknowledge him on the way off. Something is going on with those two, I'm telling you!
9. You Got the Silver- Amazing. Pure magic. Before it started the ovation went on so long that Keith had to remind everyone they had to get home sometime. He then said he couldn't remember what song they were to do, something about the 'accident' and then he laughed about it.
10. Slipping Away- Gorgeous. Keith played guitar on it and wrapped it in his huge trenchcoat for awhile during the verses.
11. Connection- Pretty sloppy, and at the end Keith said "that's rock n' roll!"
12. Miss You- boring
13. Get Off Of My Cloud- I couldn't see the B stage at all, so this was kind of lame for me. Sounded ok, but not that exciting.
14. Start Me Up- boring!
15. Honky Tonk Women- OK
16. Sympathy For the Devil- the lowpoint of the set. Mick came in and either he was way off key, or the band follow his changes for the first few bars. This song contained the worst guitar soloing I've ever heard at a major concert. Keith.
17. Paint It Black- Rocking!
18. Brown Sugar- Some sound problems at the start. solid version
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want- Funniest part of the night. Keith started it much too slow for Micks taste and Mick very obviously tried to push the tempo, to mixed response. Keith just stood by Charlie and they kind of met eachother halfway with the tempo. Nice Ronnie solo here.
20. Satisfaction- Same as always! More bad Keith soloing.

I may be reading into things, but Keith doing 3 songs does not bode well for the future. If they don't reconvene, Mick will be fine, doing albums, films or whatever to keep busy. Keith, though, doesn't really do anything other than the Stones anymore, so was this alittle extra for the end? I really wonder whose idea it was, his or Chuck's or Micks?

Mick is an absolute marvel that I can find no fault in whatsoever. The consumate frontman and performer. He's singing great and looking fantastic. Charlie blew me away tonight. I expected alittle sluggishnes due to age and illness, but he was playing better than I've ever heard. Ronnie was not amazing, but held down his role pretty well. The real bizarre spectacle is Keith. He jumped out of the gate and was leaping around and looked alternately playful and mean. He's like a lion onstage. Even Mick steers clear of him. If Keith wants to clown around with you, you do it, but you never approach him. His playing tonight had its nice moments, but mostly it was alot of posing with some badly placed licks here and there. No one but him could get away with guitar playing like that. His presence is so vast that it doesn't really affect the 'show', but it would be nice for him to connect with the guitar again and lead the band. Still, when you look at him you say, 'there is no one cooler!.

A very cool show. Maybe the last time?

Please check out my band at...
www.myspace.com/marqdesouza
and order my album here...
www.cdbaby.com/marqdesouza
27th November 2006 01:20 PM
Saint Sway all things considered, I think that throughout this long tour Mick & Keith have done a tremendous job to be civil to each other and get along despite having to share adjoining bunks on a cramped tour bus with the rest of the band and crew, while having to travel such long miles late at night and crash in cheap motels.
27th November 2006 01:32 PM
cantturnyouloose poor immigrant wrote:
This is the review I posted here as soon as I got home from the show, you can see I alluded to this hostility throughout!!

------------

You hit the nail right on the head in that review and noticed some of the same things. Did you see Keith rolling his eyes a few times when Mick was running past him? Now I know everyone says they are trying to be civil this tour, but perhaps it being the last show Keith finally did not try to hide his true feelings.

But I agree Mick is still the best frontman in music. I wish for once, as someone said, would say something nice about Mick to the crowd.

27th November 2006 01:57 PM
FotiniD
quote:
cantturnyouloose wrote:
Did you see Keith rolling his eyes a few times when Mick was running past him?

Yep, sure signs them bastards hate each other:

Another clear sign:

It's a tragic shame.
27th November 2006 02:48 PM
texile can you imagine having to soldier through SOL?
i don't blame keith.....
the song is painful enough to sit through in the audience...mick seems to be the only who likes it.
i'm sure keith feels the audience's boredom...cos it sucks bigtime.
in austin, mick kept trying to drag this song out -
but it fell flat and the longer it went on, the worse it got.
27th November 2006 02:51 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
texile wrote:
can you imagine having to soldier through SOL?

yeah thats not fair for Keith.

At least Mick got to hide backstage during "Infamy"
27th November 2006 04:56 PM
Cocaine Eyes Who can blame Keith? SOL belongs on a Jagger solo piece of dogshit in another doorway.
27th November 2006 05:31 PM
Soldatti They're both acting and posing, no surprise.
27th November 2006 06:34 PM
sammy davis jr. Both of 'em can't write a good song lately, so......they shouldn't embarass eaach other.
27th November 2006 07:29 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

yeah thats not fair for Keith.

At least Mick got to hide backstage during "Infamy"

I will take Infamy over Streets of Shit anyday.
27th November 2006 07:34 PM
mrhipfl infamy rocks. That groovy riff, the beautiful harp...
28th November 2006 05:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:

I will take Infamy over Streets of Shit anyday.

I second that.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)