ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Madison Square Garden, June 1975
© Claude Gassian with thanks to Rockman and Erik_Snow ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1981 concert Return to archive
21st November 2006 03:27 PM
brianc Hi,
I am looking for accounts, reviews, personal reminiscences, etc. of concerts on October 9 and 11, 1981, where Prince opened for the Rolling Stones. I am curious about the negative reception he received in those two shows. If anyone on this board was actually there or knows of written accounts (reviews, from fans, whatever) of the shows and can point me in that direction, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.
I am also interested in trying to gauge how many Rolling Stones fans from that era are also Prince fans. Shortly after the 1981 concerts Prince started to have a lot of mainstream success with 1999 and then Purple Rain, and I wonder if there is a significant corosover of fans of both the Stones and Prince.
You can reply here or email me at [email protected]. I am a grad student in American studies and I am writing a paper on this incident and how it may reflect or challenge the attitudes of fans about gender, sexuality and race in popular music in the early 1980s as well as the ever nebulous definitions of rock and roll and other genres in popualr music.
Thanks,
Brian
21st November 2006 05:50 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
brianc wrote:
I am interested in trying to gauge how many Rolling Stones fans from that era are also Prince fans...

I wouldn't think many. Vanity 6, Morris Day & The Time, and Prince? Great stuff too, funkier than hell. Prince's first two LPs were just so excellent that we had become fans earlier and 1999 was something different (you tell me maybe, :-) IMO Prince has always been a superb guitarist and I try to catch whenever he's in the area.

"Play the course as you find it"

22nd November 2006 02:19 AM
Taptrick
I didn't see the concerts you mention but I saw the Stones in St. Louis in December of 81 and I liked and still like Prince. My favorite song is Bob George, Pussy Control, Housequake, it is possible to like both. Don't have many of his LPs though - a lot of filler for me.

22nd November 2006 05:02 AM
Gazza
quote:
brianc wrote:
I am also interested in trying to gauge how many Rolling Stones fans from that era are also Prince fans.

Me. Although my favourite Prince era by far would be the 1986-88 era ('Parade', 'Sign O The Times', 'Black Album' 'Lovesexy') which would be when I started to appreciate his music a lot more than in the early 80's
22nd November 2006 09:31 AM
kovach TapTrick, are you aware of any boots floating around of that St. Louis show?
22nd November 2006 10:31 AM
GotToRollMe I'm a big Prince fan as well. I had all of his early albums up to and including "1999," and I was lucky enough to see the Purple Rain tour at Nassau Coliseum in NYC. I haven't really been into him that much since then though, but I still think the guy is a musical genius.
22nd November 2006 12:42 PM
Saint Sway this is an actual college assignment?

I wish I had gone to that school
22nd November 2006 10:03 PM
Navin I remember reading an interview by Keith about this incident in some magazine of that period, published maybe around 1982, but I happended to read the same article around 1993 - which is, like 12 years ago, so not sure of the exact words he used or whatever, but do remember a classic Keith quote regarding the incident which went something like "he's a prince trying to be a king already" ....and also the fact that he was given 20 minutes and was dismissed in less than 5 minutes by the crowd.
23rd November 2006 04:26 PM
keefjunkie I'm currentelly listening to Prince's new album.

I wasnt alive in 1981.

Cheers
27th November 2006 03:22 PM
brianc Thanks to all who responded. This info definitely helps.
27th November 2006 03:34 PM
Saint Sway didnt he attempt to play "Miss You" during his set? And was forced to ubruptly leave the stage because fans started hurling things at him? Including chair legs
27th November 2006 03:39 PM
nankerphelge I can tell you that some Einstein wannabe decided it would be a good idea at the Buffalo '81 show to put Journey between George Thorogood and the Stones.

More than chair legs were flying that chilly afternoon.

Journey came out in their red leather pants with their matching red grand piano and stated singing "Who's Crying Now" - and shit was flying so bad, they all left afte about 4 songs. Steve Perry tried to calm the crowd down, but they were having none of it. I remember one of them (Schon or Cain) flipping off the crowd as they left!

And they were very popular at the time!
Just not in Buffalo on 9/27/81!!

27th November 2006 03:44 PM
Highwire Rob LOL!!!!

That must be when Journey came up with their own ego-trip Atari 2600 video game: "Escape"

Help Journey escape from their fans...

Ohhh PuhhhhLeeeze!!
27th November 2006 05:22 PM
nankerphelge It was rather ugly.
Gates opened at noon.
I was in fairly quickly thanks to some guys ahead of us in line that ripped a chain link fence out of the ground and we all scurried in!

I got about 35-40 feet from the stage pretty close to center. The weather was spitting rain and blustery (typical western NY fall day). Thorogood came out and promised to "rock the clouds away" -- and amazingly, as he finished up his set, the blue sky and sun broke through and the wind started howling.

Then out parades Journey, with their #1 song and their top ten album, all cute and happy, Nah nah na na nah nah, na nah na nah nah...WHAM...bottle #1 whizes by Steve Perry. People flipping them off, "fuck yous" everywhere. It was UGLY!

Some guy who was doing the announcing came out and told everyone how disgusted he was with the way Buffalo was treating Journey (a guilt trip that didn't quite sink in for 80K Stones fans). THEN, Stevie Perry comes out and says in his girl-like voice (I will never forget this)..."we just want to rock for you"

Well....

That was the proverbial straw that broke Rich Stadium's back.
Shit really started flying -- more bottles, dirt, sticks, small farm animals ...

UG-LY!

Journey limped away, and a while later, Mick and Co. rocked the house!
Rest is history!
27th November 2006 05:24 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It was rather ugly.
Gates opened at noon.
I was in fairly quickly thanks to some guys ahead of us in line that ripped a chain link fence out of the ground and we all scurried in!

I got about 35-40 feet from the stage pretty close to center. The weather was spitting rain and blustery (typical western NY fall day). Thorogood came out and promised to "rock the clouds away" -- and amazingly, as he finished up his set, the blue sky and sun broke through and the wind started howling.

Then out parades Journey, with their #1 song and their top ten album, all cute and happy, Nah nah na na nah nah, na nah na nah nah...WHAM...bottle #1 whizes by Steve Perry. People flipping them off, "fuck yous" everywhere. It was UGLY!

Some guy who was doing the announcing came out and told everyone how disgusted he was with the way Buffalo was treating Journey (a guilt trip that didn't quite sink in for 80K Stones fans). THEN, Stevie Perry comes out and says in his girl-like voice (I will never forget this)..."we just want to rock for you"

Well....

That was the proverbial straw that broke Rich Stadium's back.
Shit really started flying -- more bottles, dirt, sticks, small farm animals ...

UG-LY!

Journey limped away, and a while later, Mick and Co. rocked the house!
Rest is history!

Nanky ?!

27th November 2006 05:43 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Some Guy who was doing the announcing came out and told everyone how disgusted he was with the way Buffalo was treating Journey (a guilt trip that didn't quite sink in for 80K Stones fans). THEN, Stevie Perry comes out and says in his girl-like voice (I will never forget this)..."we just want to rock for you"

Some Guy is all class.
27th November 2006 05:51 PM
nankerphelge Not that Some Guy...

Some other Some Guy
27th November 2006 05:53 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Not that Some Guy...

Some other Some Guy

ya never know...

the dude gets around
27th November 2006 05:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I can tell you that some Einstein wannabe decided it would be a good idea at the Buffalo '81 show to put Journey between George Thorogood and the Stones.

More than chair legs were flying that chilly afternoon.

Journey came out in their red leather pants with their matching red grand piano and stated singing "Who's Crying Now" - and shit was flying so bad, they all left afte about 4 songs. Steve Perry tried to calm the crowd down, but they were having none of it. I remember one of them (Schon or Cain) flipping off the crowd as they left!

And they were very popular at the time!
Just not in Buffalo on 9/27/81!!

I still have the 'Melody Maker''s review of the opening shows in Philadelphia, where David Quantick summarised the opening act thus : "..but first a word about Journey - and that word is 'awful'. Steve perry sang like a mortally wounded dog..."
27th November 2006 06:20 PM
nankerphelge That is not far from the truth.

In 1981, they were a big name. They sold plenty of records, they got tons of FM air, and they were riding high on whatever that album was in 1980 or 1981. (I can't remember the names because they were always a single word and they always had that stupid beetle looking thing on the album covers).

But man did that crooning not go over well with a rock and roll crowd.

Here, see for yourself, what is wrong with this picture:

First, there is this:

Then this:

Finally this:

You make the call!!!
[Edited by Steve Perry, oooooOOOOoooooohhooooo]
[Edited by nankerphelge]
27th November 2006 06:32 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
That is not far from the truth.

In 1981, they were a big name. They sold plenty of records, they got tons of FM air, and they were riding high on whatever that album was in 1980 or 1981. (I can't remember the names because they were always a single word and they always had that stupid beetle looking thing on the album covers).

But man did that crooning not go over well with a rock and roll crowd.

my main man, Pug, is our resident Journey afficianado. I'm sure he can help you out with the song titles.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)