ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Complicated (nothing is sacred) Return to archive
November 30th, 2004 10:29 AM
Saint Sway the Stones never stop surprising me these days!

everytime I think they've out cheesed themselves they somehow manage to come back and reach even more dispicable lows

the latest coming in the form of their song "Complicated" being used in a copier commercial!

I couldnt believe my eyes and ears when I heard the song come on during a commercial for some copier company that I never even heard of.

WTF??? Are the Stones just willing to sell out each and every song to anyone that shills out a few more bucks their way?

Its getting really sad. I really hope this is the last of it. Just stop with selling out your songs already please. They've got enough money. Just stop. Its embarrassing.
November 30th, 2004 10:34 AM
jb They, along with Klein, have destroyed any credibility they ever had..they are simply a corporate enterprise content on milking the cow until it finally runs dry(which it is very close to...see 33k sales for LL). Any new tour would have to be reduced in size in order to avoid 1/2 empty arenas and 1/3 filled stadiums....
November 30th, 2004 10:35 AM
Riffhard You've got to bear in mind that Abkco owns the rights to Complicated. So it's probably a safe bet that the Stones themselves had nothing to do with it being used for the Lexmark spot. I for one was delighted to hear such an obscure Stones tune in a spot at all though.

Riffhard
November 30th, 2004 10:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
WTF??? Are the Stones just willing to sell out each and every song to anyone that shills out a few more bucks their way?

Nothing to do with the Stones. Blame Klein and ABCKO for this one.

AFAIK the only post-ABCKO songs the Stones have themselves leased for use in commercials were "Brown sugar" (for that one-off Pepsi ad at half time in the '98 Superbowl) and "Start Me Up" (for Microsoft)
November 30th, 2004 10:45 AM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

AFAIK the only post-ABCKO songs the Stones have themselves leased for use in commercials were "Brown sugar" (for that one-off Pepsi ad at half time in the '98 Superbowl) and "Start Me Up" (for Microsoft)

Exactly Gazza. When you sell the rights you sell the rights. The Stones sold the rights

Like Keith said: "It's not like were pushing drugs"
November 30th, 2004 10:49 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I thought that during the negotiations for Forty Licks they had worked out a new deal with Klein and ABCKO? And that the Stones were able to retain a portion of the rights back?
November 30th, 2004 10:55 AM
Gazza Not sure what any new deal entailed (does anyone know? Did they make it public?)..I'd still imagine ABCKO has the rights, though.

Since 40 Licks came out, theres been a few songs used in adverts from that era - YCAGWYW, Complicated and even the cover of Time Is On My Side to name three.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 30th, 2004 11:07 AM
Nellcote As others have stated correctly, ABKCO is in charge, The Stones are not. Riffhard's got it on spot, Complicated on TV? Who'd have thought?

Don't forget, The Stones are not new to the advert area.
Who can forget the Rice Krispies ad from the 60's?
Campy lyrics, but some great guitar work...well before Klein if I'm correct..
November 30th, 2004 11:21 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Not sure what any new deal entailed (does anyone know? Did they make it public?)..I'd still imagine ABCKO has the rights, though.

Since 40 Licks came out, theres been a few songs used in adverts from that era - YCAGWYW, Complicated and even the cover of Time Is On My Side to name three.
[Edited by Gazza]

you can add "Monkey Man" , "Jumpin Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar" to that list.

thats 6 since Forty Licks came out. And counting...
November 30th, 2004 09:14 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
you can add "Monkey Man" , "Jumpin Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar" to that list.

thats 6 since Forty Licks came out. And counting...

Wait a few years and they will be using songs from Dirty Work too.
December 1st, 2004 10:52 AM
Prodigal Son Don't forget "I'm Free" as well.
December 1st, 2004 12:48 PM
glencar That was the Soup Dragons' version.
December 1st, 2004 06:17 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Don't forget "I'm Free" as well.

I hate that version.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood