ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SACD rules! Abkco remasters rediscovered Return to archive
November 29th, 2004 09:30 AM
Monkey Woman Let It Bleed is just getting better and better!
I've just installed a brand new SACD/DVD player, all hooked up to my stereo system... And I'm listening to the Abkco remastered Let It Bleed hybrid. Yeah, two years ago I bought a lot of those remasters, with an eye of upgrading my old CD player one day...
And lucky me, because Father Christmas heard my suggestion a lot in advance this year!!!

The SACD tracks are just so clear, so precise... Even without the kind of top quality dedicated SACD systems that cost about as much as the Concorde, it sounds as if the band was right there in the room! Amazing. You can hear every detail, every nuance. It's like rediscovering the album anew. Beautiful!

Now I'm just hoping that the Stones will release their long-expected new studio album in SACD format too. Keeping fingers crossed!
November 29th, 2004 09:54 AM
J.J.Flash Well, unfortunately I still haven't listened to any of these SACD discs..... but since you are talking about "rediscovering an old album" as a brand new album.....I'm in love with vynils REALLY..... as my fellow Stan use to say.... you can't beat analog.....

I'm looking forward to buy all Stones albums on vynil in the near future
November 29th, 2004 10:34 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
as my fellow Stan use to say.... you can't beat analog.....

sacd comes damn close - and it blows away all but the top, top analog setups...

mw - if you are blown away by let it bleed, go get beggars' - listen and report back biggest upgrade ever!
November 29th, 2004 10:37 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

mw - if you are blown away by let it bleed, go get beggars' - listen and report back biggest upgrade ever!

I thought you were a nostalgic like me Daddy.....
November 29th, 2004 10:48 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

I thought you were a nostalgic like me Daddy.....

oh, i am!!! and i have more $$$ in my vinyl setup than i would really like to admit...

but i also know, from listening, that the sacd format kicks ass. i also know that the improvement to beggars' (including the pitch change) is dramatic, so if monkey woman was noticing differences in let it bleed, she will be totally stoked to hear what beggars' sounds like...

plus the vinyl that really kicks ass is the half speed stuff, that is much, much harder to find (and much, much, much more expensive).
November 29th, 2004 10:54 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
[...]

plus the vinyl that really kicks ass is the half speed stuff, that is much, much harder to find (and much, much, much more expensive).

Please... I beg you fellow, tell me more about it, please.

Do you mean the older equipments?
November 29th, 2004 11:10 AM
J.J.Flash Hmmm, I think you mean 33 RPM Daddy...
November 29th, 2004 12:21 PM
egon my brand new pioneer sacd/dvd/divx/dolby/stereo/digital/5.8 sourround/itcostme200euros player died after 1.5 months, but luckily i did get to listen to 2 (two) whole songs from let it bleed before it did.
and unlike my dvd player, the quality was amazing!
November 29th, 2004 12:41 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

Thanks for the tip mac, it's next on my list!
BTW you have PM.

egon - too bad about your DVD/SACD/etc. player. Mine is a Philips DVP 720 SA. For 159 Euros, it kicks ass.
November 29th, 2004 08:59 PM
Soldatti The best remasters are Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Metamorphosis, on that order.
November 30th, 2004 06:25 AM
egon
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Mine is a Philips DVP 720 SA. For 159 Euros, it kicks ass.

i know, i know... dutch technology always kicks ass! :-)
November 30th, 2004 08:29 AM
The Rolling Bones for what it's worth: in our never ending quest for sonic perfection the rolling bones have A/B/C'ed

Let It Bleed CD
Let It Bleed SACD
Let It Bleed Vinyl

Of course, the vinyl wins (at it's true analog glory 500000000hz sampling rate, vs 44100hz for CD) but the SACD came in a close second

When the CD came on it sounded like someone threw a thick blanket over the speakers
November 30th, 2004 09:00 PM
Soldatti Ya-Ya's remaster is great too.
December 1st, 2004 08:19 AM
gimmekeef Try the UK version of Aftermath...Just listen to the fingers snapping at the start of Outta Time....amazing like Mick's in your room.....
December 1st, 2004 09:50 AM
egon the only thing i heard snapping was my pioneer and that didn't sound good...
seriously, i hope i get my player back soon. i have the whole sacd set, but so far only listened on a normal player (and that already sounded very good!).
December 1st, 2004 06:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Try the UK version of Aftermath...Just listen to the fingers snapping at the start of Outta Time....amazing like Mick's in your room.....

It's great too.
December 1st, 2004 06:16 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
soldatti wrote:
Ya-Ya's remaster is great too

quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Try the UK version of Aftermath...Just listen to the fingers snapping at the start of Outta Time....amazing like Mick's in your room.....

QFT (quoted for truth)
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood