ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I`ve watched Stones In The Park finally Return to archive
November 28th, 2004 09:16 PM
Bruno Stone I had never watch this video. Yesterday i bought it in DVD. Great for seeing them backstage, seeing Mick, Marianne and Nicholas in the car, all that. The performance, well, i found it a bit weak, Mick is singing badly, the band is bad rehearsed. And i got pissed off for the edit in Midnight Rambler. Visually, is a delight. Musically, is not that good. What you think?

Ps: Isn`t the band look perfect in that show? The clothes, the haircuts... Perfect
November 28th, 2004 09:24 PM
stonedinaustralia agreed not a great performance musically - in fact not even a good one - the biggest problem is the fact that keith is so so out of tune
November 28th, 2004 09:26 PM
caro I made the mistake of watching this one only a few days after watching Gimme Shelter. It really can't compare. It seemed to me like they had simply run out of energy to play their songs (but then again, I only watched it once, so it's probably not such an accurate impression). I didn't think it was very good visually either.
November 28th, 2004 10:51 PM
corgi37 I have a soft spot for it because it was responsible for me getting into the Stones. We watched it for an English class in 78. Had to do essays on films and such, and this was one.

Never looked back since.

I tell you one thing. Out of tune or not, badly rehearsed of not, i prefer this version of Sympathy, with the drumming dudes, way more than the disco version they've done since 89.
November 28th, 2004 10:58 PM
Navin Perfect...not quite as Mr. Wood was still 6 years away, since then everything been perfect...blondes don't belong with Stones!!
November 29th, 2004 02:26 AM
gorda According to Bill Wyman, the problem at the Hyde Park concert was that the band tuned up in an air-conditioned trailer and then went out to play in the hot sun which warped the guitar strings and forced them to be out of tune. Something like that, I am not a musician. (Well, I shouldn't say that, because I do sing in the shower, plus at work they pay me to sing. Oh? You think I'm lying, huh?)
November 29th, 2004 03:16 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
gorda wrote:
According to Bill Wyman, the problem at the Hyde Park concert was that the band tuned up in an air-conditioned trailer and then went out to play in the hot sun which warped the guitar strings and forced them to be out of tune. Something like that, I am not a musician. (Well, I shouldn't say that, because I do sing in the shower, plus at work they pay me to sing. Oh? You think I'm lying, huh?)

Gorda have you taken your pills this morning??
November 29th, 2004 06:13 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
[...]

I tell you one thing. Out of tune or not, badly rehearsed of not, i prefer this version of Sympathy, with the drumming dudes, way more than the disco version they've done since 89.

Amen Corgi
November 29th, 2004 08:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

The '75 versions were excelent too.
November 29th, 2004 11:32 PM
gorda
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Gorda have you taken your pills this morning??

No, I have decided to go off the pill, because I want to have Micky's baby.
November 30th, 2004 05:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
agreed not a great performance musically - in fact not even a good one - the biggest problem is the fact that keith is so so out of tune

keith WAS in tune. It was the 500,000 other people who were there and the millions watching it who were out of tune.
November 30th, 2004 07:40 AM
Maxlugar Mick is wearing a wig for that show. His hair was cut short for Ned Kelly.

Lame.
November 30th, 2004 08:13 AM
marko Maybe his been using wig ever since!
November 30th, 2004 08:51 AM
Maxlugar I've thought about that Marko.

But I don't think it's probable.

Look at all the times he's poured water over his head like in '75-'76.

Or the way he gets all sweaty in '81 and shakes it out.

I don't think I'd chance that with a wig.
November 30th, 2004 11:14 AM
jb Great video...great performances...great to see young Mick T....I enjoyed this dvd quite a bit....I am in the process of upgrading my home theatre..I am considering buying the bose surround sound system with the new 42 inch plasma t.v. They want around 15k installed...
November 30th, 2004 11:22 AM
mac_daddy jesus jb - do you just open your wallet and bend over at the same time..?

you know what bose stands for, right? better off with something else!

if you are looking to spend that kind of cash - get something that's worth it...

you wont go wrong with a sunfire preamp/amp (made by carver), and some decent floorstanding speakers (infinity or better)...

you can thank me later.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
November 30th, 2004 11:25 AM
jb I am very technologically difficient....what appeals to me is a company that has the ability to install everything for me and simply tell me what buttons to press on the clicker....zI went to Circuit City as well, but the pimply faced teenagers turned me off big time.
November 30th, 2004 11:30 AM
mac_daddy if you are looking to spend fifteen large, then there are high end specialty shops that could take care of you much better than bose ever could. not to mention the QUALITY will be so much better...

esp. where you live. are you in miami, or up in boca (can't remember)? regardless, there should be high-end audio/video shops near you. look for authorized sunfire dealers, and go to the one that is closest to you. that would be a very good place to start...

i wouldnt pay $150 for something made by bose, let alone $15k.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
November 30th, 2004 11:32 AM
jb Thanks..I'll look around a little more..what do you think of Sound Advice?
November 30th, 2004 11:51 AM
mac_daddy sound advice looks like it was a fla outfit that has since been bought by tweeter...

tweeter is fine, but i dont know if they do alot with the high-end home theater...

check out the "ultimate receiver" here (he only makes one)

http://www.sunfire.com/index.html

i have heard good things about the panasonic plasmas, but as i am not in the market for one, i have not done a ton of research on them...

find a set of decent speakers that matches with the sunfire (which shouldnt be hard - the sunfire IS the standard), and you will have the trickest setup on the block...
November 30th, 2004 11:52 AM
telecaster People, people. Do you guys smell flowers and start looking for a funeral?

1. Brian had just died
2. MT's first public apperance
3. First massive outdoor show in history - pre Woodstock
4. The sound of the guitars was fantastic
Nice Gibson humbucker sound and Keith & MT
played great and hit some awesome notes
5. Hair? Keith had the coolest haircut in the history
of rock n roll at that show
6. This was the show that started the Stones being
on the way to hyper-stardom

Besides that is sucked
November 30th, 2004 12:32 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
telecaster wrote:
People, people. Do you guys smell flowers and start looking for a funeral?

1. Brian had just died
2. MT's first public apperance
3. First massive outdoor show in history - pre Woodstock
4. The sound of the guitars was fantastic
Nice Gibson humbucker sound and Keith & MT
played great and hit some awesome notes
5. Hair? Keith had the coolest haircut in the history
of rock n roll at that show
6. This was the show that started the Stones being
on the way to hyper-stardom

Besides that is sucked

Word to the third, tele.

Not to mention the fact that it is without doubt the most adventurous set list the band ever attempted before or since. To play that many songs they'd never tried live in front of the biggest crowd ever and then to then cap it by starting the whole show with a) a piece of poetry and b) a song they'd barely even heard, let alone played, that takes more nuts and guts than ten thousand other rock and roll bands could even hope to muster.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
November 30th, 2004 12:40 PM
jpenn11 On topic--

How on earth do we get Granada TV to release the No Expectations, etc. from this show?

Off topic--

macdaddy, if jb wants a touch-and-play system, wouldn't an NAD be easier to work with and match to speakers? I've considered upgrading my system, but so many "live shows" and outtakes sound better with a middling system (you hear less hiss, etc.).

November 30th, 2004 04:51 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

keith WAS in tune. It was the 500,000 other people who were there and the millions watching it who were out of tune.

not the dreaded "brown acid" again!!

nasty i take your points re the set list and the "nuts & guts" stuff - just a pity it was let down by the tuning problems

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
November 30th, 2004 09:32 PM
Soldatti The sound is bad but the Stones looked great, BTW the audience was out of this world that day
November 30th, 2004 11:24 PM
corgi37 I have an old pair of Bose 501's which i still love, but dont use for surround, just to play back in my studio (ok, garage).

I am not a fan of Bose home theatre at all. I dont like that direct/reflecting shit. The bass module (i find anyway) just hasnt got the deep-down punch.

If you are going for a sub/sat set-up, i recommend Energy speakers. They are fantastic. Canadian they are.

Failing that, Krix make an outstanding floorspeaker that is killer! Cant recall the model or name, but its part of a range of home theatre packages they have.
November 30th, 2004 11:52 PM
mac_daddy energy speakers match nicely with the sunfire unit...

you could easily do that and the plasma for under fifteen large...
December 1st, 2004 11:03 AM
jpenn11 Sound Advice is listed as a dealer for Martin Logans--a Ferrari in a speaker market of Hondas.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood