ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best bootleg from 1970 Return to archive
November 28th, 2004 09:35 AM
headshrinker i've got a show from berlin and one of the paris boots from 1970 and they're AMAZING!!!. (forgot how good they were coz i've been listening to too much 1972). anyway, what are the best recordings from the 1970 tour other than the ones i've got coz i need some more.

thanx
November 28th, 2004 04:55 PM
Gazza theres not that much from that tour, sound quality wise

Which Paris show did you get? There are 3 shows (22,23 and 24 September). The 1st is maybe the best of the three. One of the other shows (23.9.70) was broadcast live on Europe 1 radio in France (it was also the first continental European show bootlegs) but its somewhat spoiled by the fact a DJ talks over some of the intros.

You might also want to try the upgrade of Essen 7.10.70 ("Ice Cream in the Foyer"). The original version on LP of that show was "European Tour 1970" which seemed to be recorded too fast, but this version is much better.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 28th, 2004 06:07 PM
charlotte The Rolling Stones - Some Like it Hot

Live at Palais de Sports, Paris, France, September 23, 1970. Also known as "Paris Scandal" & "Paris 1970 (Grey Seal GS-93001). Complete show. Mono soundboard from French radio broadcast. Has distortion & a lot of noise reduction was used.

Artwork Available: Yes

Vinyl Gang, VGP 044, 1 disk. Back

Jumping Jack Flash - 3:40
Roll Over Beethoven - 2:25
Sympathy for the Devil - 7:37
Stray Cat Blues - 4:06
Love in Vain - 5:39
Dead Flowers - 4:02
Midnight Rambler - 11:03
Live With Me - 4:16
Let it Rock - 2:49
Little Queenie - 4:49
Brown Sugar - 4:33
Honky Tonk Women - 3:43 (poor quality)
Street Fighting Man - 4:19 (poor quality)
Wild Horses - 5:39 (bonus track from Gimme Shelter movie)

November 28th, 2004 08:09 PM
gustavobala thanxs gazza, i ever wanna knows who is best bootlegs of 70's tour

you can put yoor opinion about the best stones boot of the others tours (72,73,75,76,78,81)

thanxs

November 28th, 2004 09:09 PM
Gazza problem is, I dont collect bootleg CDs as such - I collect shows.

So you might get 20 different bootleg titles of a particular show. Personally, I'd only be looking for the best sounding and most complete recording I can get of a particular show without obsessing over it. Other people would, I'm sure, have a better 'ear' for whether one bootleg version of a show is better than another of the same concert.

One of these days I'll update the setlists page with a guide to the best concerts and essential recordings from each tour.

In the meantime, to answer your question :

1971 - Leeds
1972 - The Fort Worth and Philadelphia shows.
1973 - winter tour : Perth Europe : "Brussels affair"
1975 - LA 13.7.75. personally my fave show of the tour is NYC 27.6.75, even though its an audience
1976 - Paris 6.6.76, Knebworth
1978 - "handsome girls" (Fort worth plus the various songs taped for KBFH broadcast)
1981 - hampton 18.12.81
November 28th, 2004 09:56 PM
gustavobala yes, i understand the various versions of one show....

the surprise to me is knewbworth (the quality i think is good, but they played good? they stay 2 month sttoped until the last show of 76 tour to do kn'worth...)

PARIS i have, but day 07, i will looking for 06!

yes, LA 13, and NY 27 is amazing, i thought they will bad play because ronnie, but is a nice show...
phill and ft. worth 72/brussels73 are cool, too, i think brussels is amazing!

78 handsome girls is amazing too with 4 cd's!

i need paris 70...

doubts -

and 69 - the best is oakland, in your opinion (liver than...)????
and 67? paris too? rome? milan?
November 28th, 2004 10:22 PM
Lazy Bones Another half-decent boot from 1970 is The Legend Of 1970 - Frankfurt, W. Germany : 6-Oct-70 (VGP-238). Missing, from the show, however, are Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women and Street Fighting Man.

Although, a version of Brown Sugar does follow Little Queenie, it's from "Top Of The Pops" (London, 15-Apr-71).
November 28th, 2004 10:27 PM
Zack Headshrinker, check you PM
November 29th, 2004 12:17 AM
Cant Catch Me In response to the original question about 1970, I'd say you're better off not insisting on the exact year and go with Gazza's recommendation of Leeds 1971. I've got it as "Get Your Leeds Lungs Out -- Revisited" on The Swinging Pig label and it is a fantastic performance from that era and a great recording too.

Where's about do you live? Maybe I could burn you a copy and send it to you.
November 29th, 2004 04:37 AM
Gazza yeah..Get Your Leeds Lungs Out Revisited is THE boot to get from '71 (there arent that many, to be honest but even this one is an improvement on the original Leeds bootleg)

From 1969 - definitely Live R Than You'll Ever Be. Get the 30th anniversary remastered edition. One of the top 5 Stones bootlegs ever.

Paris is the best one from '67. Its not great, by any means - but the other recordings are mostly fair or poor.

Knebworth 76 - I think its a decent performance, although its the setlist, with so many surprises, that makes it interesting. The Paris shows - its hard to tell which is best, the last show (7.6.76) features a rare "Cherry Oh baby" which makes it worth getting. Over all, theyre better shows than the London gigs, however
[Edited by Gazza]
November 29th, 2004 05:16 AM
headshrinker
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One of these days I'll update the setlists page with a guide to the best concerts and essential recordings from each tour.

good idea, you could rate them out of 10 and stick them in the gaps below each show
November 29th, 2004 06:42 AM
Gazza LOL. That would take forever.

Problem with that, aside from the time factor, is that most shows arent that great sound quality or would be pretty similar to other shows from around the same period. Plus, I can only rate recordings I've heard. I've probably got at least 95% of what shows are in circulation, but there might be several different recordings in circulation of any given show and I may not have heard the best one. In addition, many shows are so badly recorded, its a waste of time even listening to them to 'rate' them.

What I had in mind was a separate page for each tour, or leg of a tour, giving an overview with a recommendation of what would be the best shows to get, taking into account sound quality, performance, interesting setlists etc.
November 29th, 2004 09:22 AM
gustavobala gazza,

they play "cherry oh baby" in New York - 1975, i think was in day 27, i am right?
November 29th, 2004 10:23 AM
Gazza Yep..it was only ever played 3 times

NYC 23.6.75 & 27.6.75 and Paris 7.6.76.
November 29th, 2004 10:51 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yeah..Get Your Leeds Lungs Out Revisited is THE boot to get from '71 (there arent that many, to be honest but even this one is an improvement on the original Leeds bootleg)

"Leed Guitars... T.V. Stars" (TOTR-002) is also another title that's quite good from 13/3. Three bonus tracks, too - I Got The Blues and Bitch from The Marquee, 26/3/71 and a studio outtake of Dead Flowers.
November 30th, 2004 11:16 AM
jpenn11 For those looking for "ratings", I've found the following site to be a useful source. It has not been updated for new releases and remasterings over the past four or so years, but still is useful.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/rollingstones-faq/part2/
November 30th, 2004 02:05 PM
gustavobala are 'ratings' AFTER lenght??????
November 30th, 2004 04:02 PM
rocky hi try essen 1970,it's good quality,but missing honky tonk woman & street fighting man,also malmoe 1970 is intresting and in better quality nowdays. rocky
November 30th, 2004 04:08 PM
rocky hi ! essen 1970 retitled live in germany 1970 rocky
December 1st, 2004 01:09 PM
rocky hi ! just find out the berlin concert 1970 is good too,even better and the other,just heard one track so far,,, rocky
December 1st, 2004 04:15 PM
jpenn11
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
are 'ratings' AFTER lenght??????

Yes. The introduction explains this: "Listings are by location, date, length, quality, and source. All quality ratings from 1 to 10 are done by the author, with 1 being unlistenable and 10 being perfect release quality. Since I can't listen to everything, some ratings are from books, fanzines, or postings to Undercover. These ratings are in the form of EX (excellent), VG+ (very good plus), etc. 'm' indicates mono, 's' stereo, and 'es' electronic stereo."

Remember, the FAQ is useful, but four years old.
December 1st, 2004 04:26 PM
gimmekeef I find the following site very useful:

printmark.se//stones/bootleg/a/a-h.htm

Also anyone have a source for all VGP discs????..Thanks
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood