ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Frank Zappa Return to archive
November 27th, 2004 07:41 PM
Lazy Bones I bought a best-of today. My first purchase of any Zappa.

General thoughts, suggestions or recommendations...
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
November 27th, 2004 07:43 PM
kath a freakin' genius!!! i loved him and i miss him to this day.

he's just up there waitin' for tipper........
November 27th, 2004 08:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Zappa for newbies LOL!!

Zappa discography is so extensive and rich in styles that the only problem is that you may start with a wrong album I don't mean "wrong" but maybe not the one to start. He plays sike-ay-delic, jazz, blues, rock, classical, suckings, etc etc and swicthing and mixing any of the above styles and more

When I was listening my new "The Man From Utopia" back in 1983 my brother entered my studio and told me "why don't you go with that album and your invoice to complain to the consumer authorities... he is stealing your money... I think he recorded that album while composing I can't believe your enjoying that shit!!" and let me tell you I love that album...

I have now all the vinly albums, yes the complete LP discography in their ORIGINAL first edition version in perfect conditions, I have bought some of the albums up to four times in order to have the right version.

My last addition was "Mother's Day" which is the most expensive album. Now I think my Zappa complete collection is the most expensive item in my big collection of music. Just that albums sells at $500 USD in stores and about $200 USD on e-bay.

and yes, he was a genius as Kath said

Some say he is disgusting, ugly, the worst composer, but he didn't give a fuck he always was a true musician enjoying his own stuff and many more did

Thanks God I saw him live several times, not the same for Jimi or Brian
November 27th, 2004 08:54 PM
Nasty Habits I love his guitar playing, particularly back in the late 60s/early 70s before his rhythm section got too wanky. I think that Willie the Pimp is one of the best "more than five minutes" songs by anyone ever recorded, and although part of that is Captain Beefheart's wild vocal, that guitar solo sustains my interest when noodlage by other players leaves me cold. I love the Uncle Meat album, LATHER, and the Roxy and Elsewhere as sustained records -- Uncle Meat particularly blows my mind -- spontaneous and alive where other Zappa albums strike me as sterile and dead, and the production is absolutely amazing - a great sounding record. I used to be a HUGE Zappageek back in the late 80s and I pretty much amassed everything in one form or another, but as my tastes have come together I find myself preferring the Mothers material to anything else and have little use for most of the material done after Sheik Yerbouti. I will, however, always watch and/or read an interview with the man as he is definitely a fascinating personality and a genuine original.

When did you first get to see him, Voo? Did you get to see the Ruth Underwood/Napoleon Murphy Brock/George Duke aggregation back in the mid 70s? Or the Beefheart/Denny Walley band? Live shows from that period sound like they were pretty psyched out and blues wailing . . .
November 27th, 2004 09:08 PM
Navin
I have a single compilation album which goes by the name of "Strictly Commercial" and found it to be a good introduction.
November 27th, 2004 09:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
When did you first get to see him, Voo? Did you get to see the Ruth Underwood/Napoleon Murphy Brock/George Duke aggregation back in the mid 70s? Or the Beefheart/Denny Walley band? Live shows from that period sound like they were pretty psyched out and blues wailing . . .

No my dear Filthy Habits... none of those bands but later during the Halloween parties @ The Palladium in NYC
November 27th, 2004 10:25 PM
Nasty Habits I never got to see him live -- the '88 band was supposed to play St. Louis but Zappa broke up the band before they could get there.
November 27th, 2004 10:29 PM
kath i am extremely proud to say that i got to see the mothers of invention rehearse for a show in san antonio. there were just a few people there, my brother was involved in the light show so i was with him hauling equipment. a good 45 minutes or so of them playing.
November 28th, 2004 08:39 AM
Ronnie B. Wood i have these albums
lumpy gravy
we're only in it for the money
uncle meat
over-nite sensation
apostrophe'
bongo fury
zoor allures
the man from utopia
make a jazza noise here

which of these albums is the best for zappa beginners?
November 28th, 2004 09:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Here's a nice little quickie reference.

http://www.softshoe-slim.com/lists/z/zappa.html
November 28th, 2004 09:57 AM
Martha I never caught Zappa in concert either, which saddens me. I absolutely think he was a genius. No one makes me laugh like he can. I remember putting Sheik Yer Booty on the turn-table back in 1979 (I believe) right after I'd taken a hit of mescaline. I put the headphones on and began to listen to Frank up close and personal...enhanced by the headphones and the hit of mesc.....and I started giggling...then it turned into my laughing uncontrollably...tears streaming down my face. You've all polly been there.... back in the day. Right?! I've never forgotten that piece of my past for some reason. It's still crystal clear in my mind's eye. :-)

My sponsor and her hubby met Frank in the 80's because Dylan's now tour manager Al, was Frank's tour manager then. So they have told me a few Frank stories. He was not like Bob at all, he was out and about crawling all over his new equipment and meeting and greeting anyone who came backstage.

Geez, I wish I'd have seen him just once in concert. Sigh...

Good thread Lazy!

xxoo,
Martha

They're lying and lazy
They'll be driving you crazy
November 28th, 2004 09:59 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Ronnie B. Wood wrote:
i have these albums
lumpy gravy
we're only in it for the money
uncle meat
over-nite sensation
apostrophe'
bongo fury
zoor allures
the man from utopia
make a jazza noise here

which of these albums is the best for zappa beginners?

Overnite sensation
November 28th, 2004 11:13 AM
Chuck Hot Rats
One Size fits All
Lather
November 28th, 2004 12:39 PM
violentkind I have:
Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation
Zoot Allures
Sheik Yerbouti
Tinseltown Rebellion
Thing-Fish

I never saw him live.
November 28th, 2004 02:48 PM
Navin
I got to know about Frank Zappa as the guy who "discovered" The Alice Cooper Band - actually the only one in LA who would have signed them...think he even produced/mixed their first album "Pretties For You" in 1969 on his label Straight Records ("Easy Action" in 1970 also on that label)...these albums, particularly the first is considered a cult classic among fans and a noisy artefact of cacophony by the others....if only I could find them, they are as rare now as they were then!!

So, to me Frank is like this "father figure" who understood so much about the "humor in music" and lived that life. Lots of people have lots of differing opinion about him, as he went through so much change and released about 60 albums....personally, I love his dirty, filthy, "nausea of noon" inducing (mis)demeanor that has made living in this brutal planet all the more tolerable.

Rest in peace, Frank, you're the only "dead rock star" that I really miss....there will never be another like you...and leave them angels in peace!!
November 28th, 2004 04:37 PM
Poplar
Zappa was a big fan of "Between the Buttons."
November 28th, 2004 07:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
kath wrote:
i am extremely proud to say that i got to see the mothers of invention rehearse for a show in san antonio. there were just a few people there, my brother was involved in the light show so i was with him hauling equipment. a good 45 minutes or so of them playing.

Fuck you Kath, will ya?
November 28th, 2004 07:55 PM
Lazy Bones Thanks, folks for your imput. I am liking what I'm hearing.

More thoughts on which 'studio albums for beginners?'.
November 28th, 2004 08:10 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I'm sure you gonna love Apostrophe or Overnite Sensation

Other GREAT studio album is Joe's Garage
November 28th, 2004 08:12 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Here's a nice little quickie reference.

http://www.softshoe-slim.com/lists/z/zappa.html

Sweet. Thanks!
November 28th, 2004 08:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The list above is missing the three last releases by Frank:

Joe's Domage (CD)
Joe's Corsage (CD)
QuAUDIOPHILIAc (DVD Audio)

http://www.zappa.com/spifnificent.html

Also has a big mistake, a big one and I think is because of the ALLMUSIC guide mistake. Lumpy Gravy is the 4th album and We're Only in it for the Money is the third one.

Also there are some albums OFFICIALY released in vinyl missing in that list as it only includes CDs releases

obFZ: Nobody's perfect I guess so
November 28th, 2004 09:19 PM
Lazy Bones This, btw, was the "best of" I bought. The newest compilation, I believe. The tracks -

1.Peaches En Regalia (Hot Rats)
2.Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow (Apostrophe)
3.Dancin’ Fool (Sheik Yerbouti)
4.San Ber’dino (One Size Fits All)
5.Dirty Love (Over-Nite Sensation)
6.My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama (Weasels Ripped My Flesh)
7.Cosmik Debris (Apostrophe)
8.Disco Boy (Zoot Allures)
9.Fine Girl (Tinsel Town Rebellion)
10.I’m The Slime (Over-Nite Sensation)
11.Joe’s Garage (Joe’s Garage)
12.Bobby Brown Goes Down (Sheik Yerbouti)
13.Montana (Over-Nite Sensation)
14.Valley Girl (Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch)
15.Muffin Man (Bongo Fury)

November 29th, 2004 05:33 AM
Navin It just seems crazy that now-a-days you can have the entire life work of an artist like Zappa, say all 60 albums....all in one day....on one disk (dvd-r)....and on one Ipod !!!

I'm sure most of you Stones fans like myself, and here I speak for myself (but as a somewhat younger fan - being now only 32 years old !!) that we went through the whole thing of discovering the Stones catalogue on Vinyls, Tapes, CDs, VHS, Laserdisk, etc., etc., and more recently mp3, DVD, etc., as a kind of "labor of love" through the years....in my case, it took almost 15 years before I could say that I had most of the Stones official band/solo stuff in some form or the other. Right now, also have (since the last couple of years) all 35-40 Stones and 40-45 Stones Solo official albums on mp3.

This whole other collection, I could now exchange for a single 10-GB Ipod....hell, it probably costs that much anyway (measured in financial costs)
November 29th, 2004 10:18 AM
Jack of Hearts Over nite SENSATION is and always will be, the best of Frank
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood