ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks sucks the fat Dick Return to archive
November 27th, 2004 01:54 PM
Bloozehound One of the shittiest live albums I've ever heard, a total bore. I've listened to it twice now, and it'll be a long assed time before I listen to it again.

Damn!

I didn't realize how bad they butchered Can't You Hear Me Knocking until they documented here, a total joke. I liked it on FF, but now I admit, the ney sayers were right.

What kind of assholes can't play their own songs right.

November 27th, 2004 02:13 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

What kind of assholes can't play their own songs right.

the rolling stones
November 27th, 2004 02:24 PM
Bloozehound lol

that wasn't really a question bro
November 27th, 2004 02:29 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
lol

that wasn't really a question bro

duh
November 27th, 2004 02:43 PM
Bloozehound Morrissey rocks harder!
November 27th, 2004 04:12 PM
Mr. D
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Morrissey rocks harder!

Please don't say that lol.
November 27th, 2004 06:29 PM
gypsy I am disappointed in the editing--especially "Rocks Off."
I have to say my favorites are "Worried About You," "Nearness of You," and a few others. There is definitely room for improvement...I can't believe they released it like they did. I feel they owe their fans more than that.
November 27th, 2004 07:24 PM
JumpingKentFlash Bloozehound: You're nuts dude. I like LL. It's really great IMO.
November 27th, 2004 09:05 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Bloozehound: You're nuts dude. I like LL. It's really great IMO.

Dude, I'm not knocking anyone for enjoying it.

I can't put my finger entirely on it, yes the edits are part of the problem, but LL just didn't grab me. In all fairness it does have it moments, but the negatives outweigh the positives

Maybe I'm just not as big a fan of the Stones modern "live" sound as I thought I was.

November 27th, 2004 10:26 PM
gypsy I agree with you Bloozey. You can't compare LL with the Stones' older live albums. The others all fucking rock...maybe it's that they have such a raw hard-rocking sound that LL lacks. I'm thinking "RAW" is the keyword here.
November 28th, 2004 03:24 AM
Bloozehound Yes, EXACTLY!

It just doesn't ROCK

These versions of a lot of the songs just don't make for a powerful live album, they sound limp and weak, particularly the "warhorse" rockers

I suppose the visual element of FF really added another layer that disguised the shortcomings on some of these songs, cuz it never bothered me before, amazing

This coulda/shoulda been a hell of a lot better album
November 28th, 2004 05:53 AM
Jumping Jack Mick's delivery has covered the guitarists dwindling skills for some time now. Everyone points to arthritis, but Ronnie and Keef have concentration and fatigue problems likely due to emphysema. They are quickly becoming wheezers & geezers.

Play shorter sets that rock or hire a true guitarslinger who can reproduce their chops while they pose and catch their breath. Enough of the crappy love songs. No one besides the 1000 hard core theater fans has any interest in disk 2 which is why it does sell. Most shoppers/fans have no interest in this track list.
November 29th, 2004 08:48 PM
Soldatti Bloozehound, this review in Amazon.com is for you:

1/5 stars
Even extra hardcore Stones fans will be EXTREMELY disappointed in this collection of lackluster performances. I played the first disk at my place of business in NYC, and a few people made faces and asked, "Who the hell is this?" While I agree with many that Mick is not a great live vocalist, even this was the worst I've ever heard him do. Until I put on disk 2. Holy S***!!! After the horrendous version of "Neighbours" and Mick forgetting the words to "Rocks Off", I turned it off. Believe it or not, the store I bought it from took it back and gave me a refund. The manager said, "Yeah, I know...I know." and quickly handed me my cash back and apologized. I'm not sure about Amazon's return policy on CDs, but I would believe they would only exchancg it for the same title, and that would be a slap in the face...not that it would be Amazon's fault, of course.

If you're looking for some good live Stones, pick up "Love You Live" or "Get Your Ya Yas Out". Pass very quickly on Live Licks.
November 30th, 2004 01:36 AM
Bloozehound LOL, yep!

Some of that rings true to how I felt, but I'd give LL 2/5 stars just cuz I'm such a nice guy

Sorry to be so negative guys, I'm just not diggin LL at all
November 30th, 2004 09:56 AM
JumpingKentFlash I like it. In fact I love it. There's a few bad ones like Happy, HTW and Rocks Off. But I really think that it wins after listening to it about 30 times. I never heard SFM better on an official live disc than on thhis one for instance. Gimme Shelter was better on NS (And that one REALLY rocked), but it's still fucking good on this one. I don't agree that it doesn't rock. It really does. The reviewer dude must have his head up his ass if he says that Neighbours is a bad version. It's the best I ever heard.
I truly love LL.
November 30th, 2004 09:08 PM
Soldatti The problem is that we need a new album soon and no more live albums, at least in the next 8 years...
November 30th, 2004 09:47 PM
BILL PERKS I FINALLY GOT IT TODAY AND I AGREE IT SUCKS.WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN,WORRIED ABOUT YOU,NEARNESS OF YOU,BEAST OF BURDEN,GIMME SHELTER,STREET FIGHTIN MAN AND CYHMK ARE GREAT BUT I'M AFRAID THE REST IS SHITE AS IS THE PACKAGING.
November 30th, 2004 10:56 PM
corgi37 Some one should email this thread to Bob Clearmountain. See if he has any smart ass comments now!

Aint bought it.
Aint ever gonna buy it.
Aint gonna download it.
Aint even sure if any record store in my lovely country has even bothered to stock it.
Aint i a bad grammar-er-er.
December 1st, 2004 07:34 AM
Maxlugar Anyone who bought this thing should be ashamed of themselves. Don't encourage them! This unnecessary, crapy and, frankly, embarrassing release was encouraged by all the people who bought the previous (and unnecessary) CD release 40 Licks. That Amazon review above is downright depressing. Why did they have to ruin the great feeling I had with the DVD 4 Flicks? Why couldn't they leave it at that and move to the new album?

I have a Men In Black memory eraser and I'm going to use it on myself right now. I do not want the memory of this release ruining my feelings for this band.

It's all I can do!

{{{{{{ZZZZZZZAAAPP!!!}}}}

Whoa...um...

Hi! I'm Maxy!

So what are we talking about?

[Edited by Maxlugar]
December 1st, 2004 07:49 AM
BILL PERKS COULD IT BE THAT VIRGIN DEMANDED A LIVE ALBUM TO COMPENSATE FOR THE LACK OF A NEW ALBUM FOR 7 YEARS.ONE 12 SONG DISC PRICED AT $12 WITH ALL UNRELEASED LIVE TRACKS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SO EGREGIOUS
MY DISC WOULDA BEEN
EVERYBODY NEEDS SOMEBODY
BEAST OF BURDEN
HEART OF STONE
HAND OF FATE
STRAY CAT BLUES
THATS HOW STRONG
WORRIED ABOUT YOU
LOVE TRAIN
NEARNESS OF YOU
WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN
CYHMK
CANT TURN YOU LOOSE
December 1st, 2004 07:50 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Anyone who bought this thing should be ashamed of themselves. Don't encourage them! This unnecessary, crapy and, frankly, embarrassing release was encouraged by all the people who bought the previous (and unnecessary) CD release 40 Licks. That Amazon review above is downright depressing. Why did they have to ruin the great feeling I had with the DVD 4 Flicks? Why couldn't they leave it at that and move to the new album?

I have a Men In Black memory eraser and I'm going to use it on myself right now. I do not want the memory of this release ruining my feelings for this band.

It's all I can do!

{{{{{{ZZZZZZZAAAPP!!!}}}}

Whoa...um...

Hi! I'm Maxy!

So what are we talking about?

[Edited by Maxlugar]

Like you Mr. Lugar, I've said the same damn thing at least 187 times since it was released. I'm happy there are people who didn't buy and people who are not planning on buy this OUTRAGEOUS release.

Anyway, not just a nay-sayer.....I really believe they rock and are capable to come up with a new Voodoo Lounge full of "You Got me Rockin'" full of raw power, not to mention the new tour (which btw will start in Philly and will have 6 nights including Argentina and Brazil) with a Keith attacking his strings with the same passion he made me sell my soul to him.......

Errrrr...... Captain Joeykins.... you didn't buy this one..... did you..??!? (I need your report till monday morning about your progress with Café Hostess Jill.)
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
December 1st, 2004 07:59 AM
egon I bought it and I like it.
then again, I'm on a certain list as well...

[Edited by egon]
December 1st, 2004 08:03 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
egon wrote:
I bought it and I like it.

[Edited by egon]

Eg, I didn't mean anything like "who bought" is a twat....I just said I'm happy there are people who didn't
December 1st, 2004 09:22 AM
L&A egon wrote: I bought it and I like it.

Lol, I'll stand by your side on that list, Egon. I also like it.

1/5 Star on Amazon: "()...While I agree with many that Mick is not a great live vocalist, even this was the worst I've ever heard him do....()"

Sometimes, when I read all the negative comments about the Stones, I feel like we were here on a "www.obladi-oblada/macca.com"-forum.

If the Stones release a new studio album, I'll not read any critic on any "Stones-fan" site before the listening, to keep a fresh and enthusiast point of view.
December 1st, 2004 09:46 AM
egon I WAS TALKING ABOUT BILL'S LIST

;D
December 1st, 2004 06:10 PM
Soldatti
quote:
L&A wrote:
egon wrote: I bought it and I like it.

Lol, I'll stand by your side on that list, Egon. I also like it.

1/5 Star on Amazon: "()...While I agree with many that Mick is not a great live vocalist, even this was the worst I've ever heard him do....()"

Sometimes, when I read all the negative comments about the Stones, I feel like we were here on a "www.obladi-oblada/macca.com"-forum.

If the Stones release a new studio album, I'll not read any critic on any "Stones-fan" site before the listening, to keep a fresh and enthusiast point of view.

If you like good reviews look at Rolling Stone, if you want to look bad reviews go all over the web.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood