ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why I love Live Licks Return to archive
November 26th, 2004 07:25 AM
Jair After all is said and done, I have to admit: last night I smoked a beautiful join and I heard Live licks for the first time without preconceptions & with exception.

So, I have some conclusions:

1 - Live Licks is a perfect record - after all, is a record from the greatest band of all times. If we're talking about music, there's nothing in the world most important to me than The Stones.

2 - Even slightly, there are several changes in each and every song, and I liked most of them.

3 - The sound I heard was made for the guys I most respect and admire in the whole world, and...if you think they are 60's years old...wow. Is not little.

4 - There's a new balance and a different beat in songs like Star Me Up, It's Only Rock'n Roll, Street Fighting Man and...surprise, Satisfaction. Thank you Charlie.

5 - Mick is marvelous in You Can't Always Get What You Want. One the best performances I ever heard from Mick. The guy HAS style.

6 - Sheryl Crow is very fine, to say the least, in Honky Tonk Women; ditto Lisa Fisher in Gimme Shelter. (And
I'm not anymore a Sheryl Crow big fan).

7 - Every Charlie Watts "gran finale" song is different
than another, and it's impossible not to like it.

8- The guitars in Satisfaction...man! How they do that? I put my stereo in that "repeat 1" mode and I spent an hour or so listening just that song. Is one the best versions i ever heard.

9- The entire Live Licks sound is pure, crystalline, with a quality i never heard before even in studio albums.
And quality is all what I want, isn't?

10 - Ok, the cut/copy/past guys had to work hard, but the result...damn, is quite brilliant.

To not forget: Mick (and the rest of the boys) with 60 yrs has much more verve and passion than me - and I'm 43.

Of course, there're several things I don't liked but..how the guys could know every thing what I want?

Maybe most of us is disappointed because they didn't release a new studio album but let's face: Live Licks is an excellent piece.

So, thank you guys for one more.

November 26th, 2004 07:26 AM
Jumacfly ok, so i did a good choice to Download it!!
November 26th, 2004 07:43 AM
Madafaka Because I'm a stupid Stones fan.
November 26th, 2004 10:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Jair wrote:
Maybe most of us is disappointed because they didn't release a new studio album but let's face: Live Licks is an excellent piece.

Ok, but I want a fucking new album now!
November 28th, 2004 04:20 PM
Gimme Shelter
quote:
Jair wrote:
After all is said and done, I have to admit: last night I smoked a beautiful join and I heard Live licks for the first time without preconceptions & with exception.

1 - Live Licks is a perfect record - after all, is a record from the greatest band of all times. If we're talking about music, there's nothing in the world most important to me than The Stones.

2 - Even slightly, there are several changes in each and every song, and I liked most of them.

3 - The sound I heard was made for the guys I most respect and admire in the whole world, and...if you think they are 60's years old...wow. Is not little.

4 - There's a new balance and a different beat in songs like Star Me Up, It's Only Rock'n Roll, Street Fighting Man and...surprise, Satisfaction. Thank you Charlie.

5 - Mick is marvelous in You Can't Always Get What You Want. One the best performances I ever heard from Mick. The guy HAS style.

6 - Sheryl Crow is very fine, to say the least, in Honky Tonk Women; ditto Lisa Fisher in Gimme Shelter. (And

8- The guitars in Satisfaction...man! How they do that? I put my stereo in that "repeat 1" mode and I spent an hour or so listening just that song. Is one the best versions i ever heard.

9- The entire Live Licks sound is pure, crystalline, with a quality i never heard before even in studio albums.

10 - Ok, the cut/copy/past guys had to work hard, but the result...damn, is quite brilliant.

To not forget: Mick (and the rest of the boys) with 60 yrs has much more verve and passion than me - and I'm 43.

Of course, there're several things I don't liked but..how the guys could know every thing what I want?

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 28th, 2004 06:29 PM
corgi37 Glad you liked it. I'll wait for it to be in the bargain bins. SHould be about 3 days from now. Mind you, thats if i can buy it. Aint no-one stupid enough to stock this turkey.

Download might be the way to go. And then, i can do my own art-work, instead of the el-cheapo looking cover they used.
November 28th, 2004 07:08 PM
L&A Never say never: I finaly bought it yesterday (less then 14 euros at the FNAC in Brussels ) and... it's a real good surprise after all I've read !!!

Thanks, Jair, for your comments. I have the pleasure to agree with nearly everything... (except for the join, lol, as I stopped smoking for 8 years ago. So I had a good bottle of Spanish red wine)

Stooooooooones !!!!
November 28th, 2004 07:26 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Jair wrote:
After all is said and done, I have to admit: last night I smoked a beautiful join and I heard Live licks for the first time without preconceptions & with exception.

After reading all this I've come to this conclusion:

Kids stay off the dope, it will rot your brain.

November 29th, 2004 08:29 AM
Ronnie B. Wood
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Ok, but I want a fucking new album now!

you cant always get what you want!
November 29th, 2004 11:37 AM
jb Bottom line, as I accurately predicted, the worst selling Stones album ever. I am owed many apologies to those who once again attacked me for simply statting the truth.
November 29th, 2004 11:44 AM
Nellcote And Dan Marino owes you for leaving the Phins high & dry during his two day tenure as their GM. What a putz! He's the biggest phony on CBS after Dan Rather...
November 29th, 2004 11:47 AM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
And Dan Marino owes you for leaving the Phins high & dry during his two day tenure as their GM. What a putz! He's the biggest phony on CBS after Dan Rather...

He saw what Spielman and Wanstadt had done and was given no authority..I would say it was one of his better moves..On the other hand, when he had the "resigned" wanstadt on his pre-game, he pussed out and should reminded him hoe he (wanstadt) forced him out and along with Johnson ruined his last 3 years...
November 29th, 2004 11:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Bottom line, as I accurately predicted, the worst selling Stones album ever.

you and everyone else..lol
November 29th, 2004 11:49 AM
Joey " Bottom line, as I accurately predicted, the worst selling Stones album ever. I am owed many apologies to those who once again attacked me for simply statting the truth. "

<----------- The Brand new U2 album is phenomenal .

Agreed little fella .

BEST U2 YET !!!!
November 29th, 2004 05:25 PM
crb69 Best version of "Can't you hear me knocking" that I've heard from that tour yet...Wiltern right?
November 29th, 2004 05:31 PM
Gazza it is indeed. One of the few songs on the album that arent the same versions as those on Four Flicks.
November 29th, 2004 08:11 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:
Bottom line, as I accurately predicted, the worst selling Stones album ever. I am owed many apologies to those who once again attacked me for simply statting the truth.

Isn't that a little like predicting the moon will affect the tide?
November 29th, 2004 08:40 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

you and everyone else..lol

Yeah. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the licks blows.

November 29th, 2004 09:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Bottom line, as I accurately predicted, the worst selling Stones album ever. I am owed many apologies to those who once again attacked me for simply statting the truth. "

<----------- The Brand new U2 album is phenomenal .

Agreed little fella .

BEST U2 YET !!!!

Billboard only counted 32% of the sales of last week and at that point U2's album sold 300,000 copies so far, and they didn't start at the big stores still. That are numbers for an important band and by far the most respected for the general public.
November 30th, 2004 04:32 PM
West 8 Yea there's really alot to like on the cd. The cut off of rocks off was a mistake,but did anyone think this was going to be a big seller for them? 1st of all look at what is on the top 20 right now,not that much R&R if any 2nd what was the last big LIVE album then there is the downloading to consisder. Last but not least there are the so called Stones fans who are not even running out (or walking) to but the cd. "I Got No Expections"
November 30th, 2004 07:06 PM
iluvmickjagger07 i like it when their live songs sound diferent from the original version bc when you get sick of a song and then hear it live in a different style, than you fall in love with it all over again. mick sounds alot different from his youth so live licks gives the songs a new voice
November 30th, 2004 09:50 PM
Soldatti Mick said in 1999 that "No Security" was a mistake and that album sold 325,000 copies in the States.
Live Licks sold less than 40,000 copies so far, what's the word for that?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood