ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"Performing" She Smiled Sweetly
The Eamonn Andrews TV Show, London 5th February 1967
© 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 24th, 2004 05:01 PM
Poplar
After all the talk before hand - seems like we should have a place to offer reviews of the album.

Requirements:
1 - You've heard the entire album.
November 24th, 2004 05:08 PM
Some Guy 1 - You've heard the entire album= no.
I just haven't heard anything that moves me, and I am tired of vertigo. I still play the last album often.
November 24th, 2004 06:24 PM
crb69 Heard some of it available on vh1.com and thought it was kinda boring. U2 gems usually kick right in. Maybe it's a deep conceptual dose of ballads? Most of it didn't grab me to say the least. The tour would probably be better with the new tunes mixed in with the old stuff...never seen them but would like to!
November 24th, 2004 06:40 PM
Poplar
I'm gonna give a full response after work, but you are correct in saying it's kind of low key. I knew that beforehand, and it kinda made the album pleasantly surprising. That said, it seems to be missing one rocker. Still, it's certainly good, and worthy of the U2 catalog.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Zooropa type offering on this tour... you know, a mid tour follow-up album that moves everything ahead like the year following Acthung Baby.

more later...

developing ...
November 24th, 2004 06:48 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I was going to buy it but then I found out it only clocked in at 39 minutes (if I want to listen to an album that ran less than 45 min., I'd sooner put on Black and Blue on the CD player).
November 24th, 2004 07:08 PM
Mel Belli I'm all for a good half-hour CD, and I'm glad to see bands like the Strokes bringing it back. Just because technology made hour-plus albums possible doesn't mean they ought to be that long. Much of the Stones' and Beatles' early albums were about a half-hour long, and who'd complain?
November 24th, 2004 07:10 PM
Poplar "Bomb" runs 49 minutes (and a few seconds).

[Edited by Poplar]
November 24th, 2004 07:15 PM
Mr. D
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I'm all for a good half-hour CD, and I'm glad to see bands like the Strokes bringing it back. Just because technology made hour-plus albums possible doesn't mean they ought to be that long. Much of the Stones' and Beatles' early albums were about a half-hour long, and who'd complain?

Thats part of what I liked about the older albums, they didn't wear out they're welcome. That's my problem with Voodoo Lounge, it just ran too long. They could have cut off 5 tracks to make it 10, so the time would be significantly down.
November 24th, 2004 07:20 PM
Poplar
AGREED! Voodoo minus just 2 or 3 tracks would have been so much better.

November 24th, 2004 07:45 PM
Mel Belli I wonder, though, whether there's something tantalizing about unreleased tracks. What if "Brand New Car" or "Suck on the Jugular" - or whatever VL song you think is dispensable - were left off the album and we heard them as bootlegs? Would we feel differently about them?
November 24th, 2004 08:35 PM
Poplar
Mel - that's a question that delves deep into our collective Stones psyches... i don't know that there is any answer to this.

anyhoo - back to "Bomb" everyone ...

November 24th, 2004 08:44 PM
Some Guy I'm holding out for the new Stones album... 41 licks
November 24th, 2004 09:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I'm holding out for the new Stones album... 41 licks

Or a new live album called "Licks Live" with the outtakes of the first list...
November 24th, 2004 09:21 PM
Soldatti Voodoo Lounge is great, 3-4 fillers on it but good at least and about U2 they are the biggest band on the planet right now, his new album will sell 1 million copies in the first week only in the States plus another 2+ millions wordwide.

I just see this in this article, sad but true:

The release of U2's 11th album today is expected to confirm the obvious: that four childhood friends from Dublin, Ireland, have long since become the biggest band on the planet. The band's new CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," will be the album of the year(s) with sales of 5 million copies only in the first month.

They are the first band to actually reach that height and progress creatively, Who else can plausibly claim the title?

The Rolling Stones may be a "wonderful institution," but nobody is waiting with bated breath for the next Rolling Stones album - not even the Rolling Stones...
November 25th, 2004 12:03 AM
Poplar
yes - sad but true.
we wait - but it doesn't seem like the boys are in any hurry.
November 25th, 2004 03:18 PM
Factory Girl Has anyone heard the new Libertines' cd in its entirety???

Its excellent! Lets discuss.
November 25th, 2004 03:45 PM
gotdablouse Listened to it a few times...not much to write home about honestly...I'm a HUGE fans of 1997's POP that had some memorable tracks on it, never liked that other one after that that was a big hit, can't even remember its title. I guess 1997 was a pretty good year, eh, B2B et all...
November 25th, 2004 07:38 PM
Lazy Bones Listened to it for the first time today.

My wife picked it up for me while on a business trip in Vancouver earlier in the week. Although I'm not a huge U2 fan, I do enjoy a few of their albums. Although, my favourite U2 albums - Achtung Baby and War - would never make my desert island list.

Although I've listened to it only once, I'll say it's ok. By no stretch should one spin create a solid-enough basis to critique a new studio album, imo. It will certainly grow, I'm sure.

I'm currently still hooked on Vertigo. I thought it was a great song when I first heard it. Even though radio has already overplayed it, I'm not one that listens to the radio, therefore, that experience hasn't "ruined" the track for me.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
November 25th, 2004 08:54 PM
Soldatti I really like this new album, is a great listen after all.
November 25th, 2004 09:05 PM
Poplar
Good response LazyBones... agreed. U2 albums settle in over time, like good friends.

November 25th, 2004 10:09 PM
Madafaka Has someone of you the edition with the DVD?
November 25th, 2004 11:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Has someone of you the edition with the DVD?

Yes. My edition has the bonus DVD - listed as follows :

DVD DOCUMENTARY U2 and 3 songs
BONUS VIDEOS: 1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (studio performance) 2. Crumbs From Your Table 3. Vertigo (temple bar mix) 4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own (acoustic couch mix) 5. Vertigo

filmed 9th & 10th June 2004 at HQ Dublin, Ireland 43 mins
November 26th, 2004 12:48 AM
Madafaka Thank you Lazy Bones, I'll try to buy that one.
November 26th, 2004 07:22 AM
Gazza
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Yes. My edition has the bonus DVD - listed as follows :

DVD DOCUMENTARY U2 and 3 songs
BONUS VIDEOS: 1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (studio performance) 2. Crumbs From Your Table 3. Vertigo (temple bar mix) 4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On You Own (acoustic couch mix) 5. Vertigo

filmed 9th & 10th June 2004 at HQ Dublin, Ireland 43 mins

I've ordered this version in advance (still waiting delivery) but it seems the Cd with it has one LESS song (Yahweh - I think) than on the 'regular' CD issue. Whats the point of that?
November 26th, 2004 10:17 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Whats the point of that?

I guess we'll have to buy both...
November 26th, 2004 10:36 AM
Madafaka And the japanesse version too
November 26th, 2004 10:31 PM
Soldatti I downloaded the album and sounds excelent.
November 26th, 2004 10:44 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I've ordered this version in advance (still waiting delivery) but it seems the Cd with it has one LESS song (Yahweh - I think) than on the 'regular' CD issue. Whats the point of that?

Well, Gazza, I just happened to watch the DVD and I noticed that my (audio)copy of the album does have Yahweh. It's the 11th, and final, track.

I must add, also, that after watching the DVD and listening to the album again, it's really growing on me. The accompanying DVD does wonders for the audio disc. It provides a little...history, if you will, into the tracks. It gives you the opportunity to see how certain tracks evolve by presenting early / alternate takes and versions. By the time you listen to the audio disc, you already feel like you've known the tracks for a while.

Solid album.
November 26th, 2004 11:03 PM
Poplar
Yahweh may be the best track on the album.
I can't get it out of my head.... it has that "uplifting" U2 sound, big time.
November 27th, 2004 02:05 AM
Madafaka The Argentinean edition is complete. 11 tracks in the 3 type of albums (cd, cd+dvd, cd+dvd+book)
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood