ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Gypsy rules the entire world!!
Continental Club, Houston TX November - December 2, 2005
© 2005 Newscom, with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Grateful Dead--Bans D/Ls--nsc Return to archive
November 30th, 2005 09:40 PM
jpenn11 Is this the beginning of the end or just standard routine for the few bands that want to sell all of their live shows?

Apparently, streaming is still permitted, and the band has made no announcement about trading "tapes".

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 5:04 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The Grateful Dead, the psychedelic jam band that toured for three decades, has angered some of its biggest fans by asking a nonprofit Web site to halt -- at least temporarily -- the free downloading of concert recordings.

November 30th, 2005 09:53 PM
mac_daddy
they are already backpedalling...

my guess is that the lossless auds will be back up soon.

if you wanna read the whole soap opera, click here...

my favorite quote:

" According to Grateful Dead spokesman Dennis McNally, the removal on November 22 of all downloadable Dead recordings from archive.org was the result of “a great communication snafu.” "

and i wonder who caused the snafu, dennis..?
November 30th, 2005 10:55 PM
gimmekeef Dennis The Menace?
November 30th, 2005 11:09 PM
Child of the Moon Fuck.

FUCK!

This makes me very upset. I do a lot of my Dead downloading from that site. Why on earth is this happening, I wonder?

Here's hoping they're back online soon.
November 30th, 2005 11:14 PM
Child of the Moon Found this on the archive.org message board. At least Phil Lesh had nothing to do with it.

Last Update: November 30, 2005
An Announcement from Phil Lesh:

It was brought to my attention that all of the Grateful Dead shows were taken down from Archive.org right before Thanksgiving. I was not part of this decision making process and was not notified that the shows were to be
pulled. I do feel that the music is the Grateful Dead's legacy and I hope that one way or another all of it is available for those who want it . I have enjoyed using Archive.org and found it invaluable during the writing of
my book. I found myself being pulled back in time listening to old Grateful Dead shows while giggling with glee or feeling that ache in my heart listening to Jerry's poetic guitar and sweet voice.

We are musicians not businessmen and have made good and bad decisions on our journey. We do love and care about our community as you helped us make the music. We could not have made this kind of music without you as you allowed
us to play "without a net". Your love, trust and patience made it possible for us to try again the next show when we couldn't get that magic carpet off the ground. Your concerns have been heard and I am sure are being respectfully addressed.
- Phil
November 30th, 2005 11:32 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Found this on the archive.org message board. At least Phil Lesh had nothing to do with it.

yeah - so he says, publically...

who do you think makes the decisions..?

(answer - the core four do, just like it has always been, the band makes the decisions). bobby is against the move, and you just know billy wants to pull 'em all and sell each and every one. so that leaves mickey and phil. and according to my math, it would take both of them to vote with billy for this to get done...

barlow's comments re: this whole thing are the best...

quote:
You have no idea how sad I am about this. I fought it hammer and tong, but the drummers had inoperable bricks in their head about it.

What's worse is that they now want to remove all Dead music from the Web. They might as easily put a teaspoon of food coloring in a swimming pool and then tell the pool owner to get it back to them.

It's like finding out that your brother is a child molester. And then, worse, having everyone then assume that you're a child molester too. I've been called a hypocrite in three languages already.

How magnificently counter-productive of them. It's as if the goose who laid the golden egg had decided to commit suicide so that he could get more golden eggs.

This is just the beginning of the backlash, I promise you.

This is worse than the RIAA suing their customers.

look, i totally understand pulling the sbds...

but to pull the auds..? that is not what we had in mind when we created the place (the LlaMA). the part that bites me in the a$$ is that dennis mcN makes it sound like we just put all that stuff up there without permission. fact is, before any of that stuff went public on the LlaMA, we had written permission from the band, in regards to their trading policy. in fact, the LlaMA has written permission from all the bands that are up there. that is the biggest trick for me. i have rec'd verbal permission from quite a few artists, but some dont follow through with the written part. oh, and the artists reserve the right to pull their stuff down at anytime...

the other part that chafes is the "it's not a community, like it was back in the day, when tape trading started..." (paraphrase). sh*t, what do you think the db, bt.etree, etree, the LlaMA, etc. are..? they are huge communities, with very personal relationships. compare that to a few heads dupin' tapes...

anyway, they are doing the right thing - the aud recordings will be back up in all their lossless and downloadable glory. the soundboards will all be gone (so i hope you snatched a few of those betty boards while they were up). this does not affect the trading policy, just the hosting policy, so the sbd sources will be flowing on bt.etree.org for the forseeable future - you will just have to pay attention...

but what a major f*ck up! and doing it the day before thanksgiving - hoping nobody would notice...
December 1st, 2005 07:46 AM
Child of the Moon What I'm happy about is the fact that I found and DL'ed the Dec. 7, 1968 Bellarmine College show before all this. It contains the only known live version of Rosemary, which is one of my favorite under-appreciated Dead tunes.

The problem for me is, all of the shows I collect are older ones, so SBD's are the only way to go. Most early aud's don't appeal to my ears, or anyone else's, for that matter. I mean, I've heard decent ones, but I do most of my collecting pre-1978, and most of the best-quality stuff from that seems to come from the board tapes.

Agh, I need to go to fucking bed...
December 1st, 2005 09:17 AM
lotsajizz I downloaded most all I could listen to and more (several hundred hours, starting with my 100 shows I attended) from that site a year ago...now that they're back up, don't waste time folks. It may happen again so download now, worry about burnin' em later
December 1st, 2005 10:37 AM
batcave Just saw on Yahoo that the Dead have changed their mind and will allow downloads of audience recordings, but not soundboards.
December 1st, 2005 02:56 PM
Child of the Moon I respectfully submit Jerry Garcia's very words regarding bootlegging:

"As soon as we play it, we're done with it. Let 'em have it."

Where are you when we need you, Jer?

December 1st, 2005 09:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Grateful fans bring live recordings back from the dead

Jamie Wilson in Washington
Friday December 2, 2005
The Guardian

They are known as Deadheads and are usually a pretty relaxed bunch. But this week fans of the Grateful Dead got about as angry as anybody wearing a tie-dyed T-shirt can get after the surviving members of the psychedelic band ordered a website to halt the free downloading of its concert recordings.
An online petition collected more than 5,200 signatures and urged a boycott of Grateful Dead merchandise, from those tie-dyed T-shirts to posters of the group's famous dancing bear and skeleton motifs. Shocked by the backlash, the band yesterday relented and allowed the downloads to be put back up.

The Grateful Dead, who disbanded in 1995 following the death of guitarist and lead singer Jerry Garcia, had always encouraged recording of their live shows, establishing a cordoned section for fans to set up taping equipment. Deadheads were also encouraged to swap tapes, a process that has continued on the non-profit website Live Music Archive.
But with the relentless march of Apple's iTunes online music store turning downloading into a serious business, representatives of the band contacted the website and ordered it to remove the concerts.

According to the New York Times the move also exposed divisions within the band. Bass player Phil Lesh posted a message on his website last week saying he did not know about the move, while John Perry Barlow, one of the band's lyricists, said he had had a "heated discussion" with Bob Weir, the Dead guitarist and singer, over the extent of the restrictions.

The band members have consented to making audience recordings available to download again, although the band's own "soundboard" recordings - which had been completely removed from the website - will be made available for listening. A spokesman for the band said they appreciated the strong response, "but also hope that people will calm down a bit".

Steve Bernstein, the publisher of Relix magazine, which began in the 1970s as an outlet for Deadhead tape trading, told the New York Times the division between members reflected the band's position. Although the members still sometimes play as the Dead, he said, their most reliable income comes from new releases of old concert recordings. So their file-sharing fans are now also their competitors.

Marc Schiller, chief executive of Electricartists, which helps musicians market themselves online, agreed. "When the music was given away for free to trade, the band was making so much money touring that the music was not as valuable to them," he said.
December 1st, 2005 10:21 PM
mac_daddy damn straight - chalk one up for the good guys...

the LlaMA rocks!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)