ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Gypsy rules the entire world!!
Continental Club, Houston TX November - December 2, 2005
© 2005 Newscom, with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Glendale Arena, Glendale, AZ - November 27 - Setlist, pix andc reviews Return to archive
November 28th, 2005 08:05 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl With thanks to IORR and Shidoobeeland

The set list

1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. She's So Cold
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Oh No Not You Again
6. Rain Fall Down
7. Angie
8. Rocks Off
9. Night Time Is The Right Time
--- Introductions
10. Slipping Away (Keith)
11. Infamy (Keith)
12. Miss You (to B-stage)
13. Rough Justice
14. Get Off Of My Cloud
15. Honky Tonk Women (to main stage)
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Brown Sugar
18. Jumping Jack Flash
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want (encore)
20. Satisfaction (encore)

Show time: 9:10 p.m. ? 11:05 p.m.

November 28th, 2005 08:07 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Stones roll on with classics, new songs in Glendale

Larry Rodgers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 28, 2005 12:00 AM

Rolling Stones concert

OK, we surrender.

After watching the latest installment of the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Machine on Sunday night at Glendale Arena -- along with 17,000-plus fans who didnt sit down for nearly two hours -- were ready to concede that Mick Jagger and his 60-something bandmates will probably still be doing this in 10 years.

Two years after they played a near-flawless show at Phoenixs America West Arena, the Stones amazingly continue to show no signs of slowing down.

Yes, front man Jagger at age 62 has even a few more wrinkles in his chiseled face, and guitarist Keith Richards, 61, is a medical marvel, considering what hes put his body through. But when that pair starts it up, with the help of cancer survivor Charlie Watts on drums and Ron Wood on guitar, the result is the purest form of rock that musicians in their 20s and 30s can only dream of one day attaining.

The Stones are among a tiny group of elite veteran acts Paul McCartney and U2 lead the rest of the pack whose mere appearance (as well as bulletproof catalogs of hits) puts ear-to-ear grins on concertgoers from age 15 to 65.

Thats exactly what happened Sunday when the unmistakable opening chords of Start Me Up rang through the arena on a sound system that was well-tuned for the cavernous venue.

Jagger bounded out in a sparkling burgundy jacket, matching shirt and black slacks, still the ultimate in-the-flesh representation of rock star. The always-smiling Richards, dressed in black, with his frizzy dark hair corralled by a headband, shuffled about the stage, the perfect illustration of survivor.

And although most concertgoers had heard Start Me Up countless times on the radio and at sporting events, the song still drew whoops, hollers and raised fists.

With their images flashing on a massive video screen (the Stones pride themselves in always having the most high-tech imagery in the rock industry), the band moved into a 1994 tune, You Got Me Rocking, thats vying to join its lists of classics.

Jagger, who still appears to have zero percent body fat and could pass for 50, worked the stage, spinning and dancing with an assortment of arm and hand motions that only he could create. He kept that up throughout the 20-song set, with only a short break while Richards took the spotlight for two songs.

Its great to be here in Phoenix, Glendale, Scottsdale too many Dales, Jagger told the audience with a laugh.

In contrast to his contemporary, former Beatle Paul McCartney who delivered some mini-history lessons when he played Glendale on Wednesday Jagger kept the between-song banter brief.

He and his bandmates seemed to know that most fans were there to hear such rock classics as Tumbling Dice, Angie, Miss You, Sympathy For the Devil and Honky-Tonk Woman, and the Stones were more than happy to oblige.

The magic with the Stones is that they play these war horses night after night and appear to love it.

They, like McCartney, seem addicted to the adrenaline of performing and the adoration of their fans.

Fighting off the nostalgia band label, with at least a small measure of success, the Stones played four songs from their strong new album, A Bigger Bang.

The best of the lot were Oh No, Not You Again, a tongue-in-cheek rocker in which Jagger laments the return of a particularly feisty lover, and Infamy, in which Richards also hits a rough spot with the opposite sex.

Richards remains a tighter link to the Stones 60s roots in concert, addressing the crowd as brothers and sisters. With a cigarette hanging from his mouth, he took a nice turn on 1989s Slipping Away, picking some understated leads on a vintage blond Telecaster.

Ever ready to trot out another gimmick, the Stones this time unveiled a system that moved part of the main stage across the floor to the far end of the arena as they played 1978s Miss You, one of the few songs during which they appeared to be going through the motions.

The move brought them closer to a fresh group of fans as they tore through the new Rough Justice and the classics Get Off of My Cloud and Honky-Tonk Woman, but it kept them elevated too high to press any flesh with the eager fans.

But it provided a chance for a closer look at the guitar interplay between Wood and Richards. Neither is the flashiest player, but the sound of the two weaving their finger work in a song like Rough Justice, or earlier in Shes So Cold, is rewarding.

Clad in a red T-shirt, the gray-haired Watts (the groups senior member at 64), threatened to steal the spotlight on a rollicking version of 1972s Rocks Off and a lusty take on 1971s Brown Sugar.

Like on their last tour, the Stones brought along three backup vocalists, including the powerful Lisa Fischer, four horn players, including the infamous Bobby Keys, and venerable keyboardist Chuck Leavell.

Bassist Darryl Jones, who has been with the band since 1994, finally is getting more animated and is acting like part of the core group. He deserves to be granted full membership (read: be paid much, much more than he is as a sideman).

But the Stones remain most impressive when taken as the sum of their parts. And judging from Sundays performance, music lovers will get more chances to check out this rock-and-roll wonder for years to come.

The Stones showed their shrewd marketing touch by signing up young acoustic rocker Jason Mraz as their opener in Glendale.

A talented guitarist and singer, Mraz rose to the challenge of keeping impatient Stones fans entertained with hits like The Remedy (I Wont Worry) and You and I Both and the newer Did You Get My Message and Please Dont Tell Her.

Set list:

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Shes So Cold
Tumbling Dice
Oh No, Not You Again
Rain Fall Down
Angie
Rocks Off
Night Time is The Right Time
Slipping Away
Infamy
Miss You
Rough Justice
Get Off of My Cloud
Honky-Tonk Woman
Sympathy For the Devil
Brown Sugar
Jumpin Jack Flash

Encore:

You Cant Always Get What You Want
(I Cant Get No) Satisfaction

Reach the reporter at [email protected] or (602) 444-8043

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
November 28th, 2005 08:33 AM
moy pix from the article above. All pix by Tom Tingle/The Arizona Republic

November 28th, 2005 11:40 AM
The Wick I have to say that right off the bat, the show was magnificent and any criticism I may offer is only in comparison to the extraordinarily strong showing on most songs. They are still the greatest and if anyone is worried, they shouldn't be. Jagger is simply unbelievable and his command of the stage, if even at all possible, has improved on this tour. He is simply scary to watch because he is so good.

The first thing they have to do is pack in Rain Fall Down. I actually like the song a great deal, but it is absolutely horrendous live. They either haven't got it down, or just can't do it quite right, somewhat like Mixed Emotions. Jagger plays the riff and he is simply not loud enough nor is he playing it that well.

The second half was superior to the first, but mainly because of RFD and the fact that the crowd were being a bunch of babies and crying out for the hits. As good as it was, I thought Keith Richards was well below par. What was absolutely wonderful to listen to was Ronnie Wood. He has his critics but he was spectacularly good last night, and didn't have one cigarrete throughout the whole show. His playing on Angie was just beautiful. I honestly don't think there is a better guitar player in the world when it comes to filling in the gaps and playing these lovely little licks that gives almost every song this beautiful transcendent layer.

One thing I found interesting was that there is definitely some serious tension between the Glimmer Twins, and the performance suffers because of it. They don't seem to be getting along well at all and seemed to avoid each other during the whole show. Even at the end when they went for the bow, Jagger ran off very quickly and didn't acknowledge Richards much.

Satisfaction was the best version I've ever heard. It was just incredible how good it was. They rolled back the years on the B stage for Get Off My Cloud and it was there that the show came alive. It was simply outstanding and while watching I couldn't help but think about how the world doesn't give them enough credit. Every single singer in a rock n roll band post Stones has copied Jagger. He is ridiculously good, quite simply a genius on stage. And even though his playing was weak last night, every guitar player wants to be Keith Richards. Yet the world only talks about the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. For me, neither can hold a candle to the Stones and last night just cemented the truth for me. It's not only about their performances on stage, it is about the songs, the musicianship and the creative talents of every member.
[Edited by The Wick]
November 28th, 2005 11:43 AM
Stonesthrow I was at the Glendale show last night. It may have been the shortest show this tour. They started playing at 9:13 and finished at about 11:00. The 11:05 may have included all the post-show bows. It was also a pedestrian set list. No Back Of My Hand, Paint It Black, Midnight Rambler, or Sway though they did perform Rocks Off. I could have done without Angie and the Keith set, but Night Time was good.

When I saw them in 1981, they performed 25 songs including Under My Thumb, When the Whip Comes Down, Shattered, Neighbors, Black Limousine, Just My Imagination, Twenty Flight Rock, Goin' To A Go-Go, Time Is On My Side, Waiting On A Friend, and Hang Fire. I know the reason for shortening the sets, but it still disappoints.

I did like the moving B-stage idea. In fact, I wish the entire show were on a stage that small. Ever larger stages and wireless instruments allowed the group to separate and interact less which is symptomatic of the band's history. I also could have done with less mugging and posing by Keith and Ronnie.

I don't know where Larry Rodgers was looking when he said the entire crowd was standing the whole time. Other than a kindred spirit and I, the people in my section were down after 15 minutes with their butts firmly planted on their thumbs. Methinks Rodgers doth hype too much.

Even though I am picking some major nits, it's still the Stones, and I got to see Mick perform feats of physical exertion that nobody of 62 should be able to accomplish. It would be interesting to see him run the 10K in the Senior Olympics.

Two other pluses-- I was able to miss the opening act (Jason Mraz), and I got my ticket for just over 1/2 the cover price from a scalper. Thanks to Payphone Al for the suggestion. All in all, a worthwhile evening.
November 28th, 2005 11:46 AM
Gazza Nice review, Wick - good to read that Ronnie was on form, pity about the lame element of the crowd.

(I got the impression you were from England. Didnt realise you lived in the US - unless you just went over there for these shows..?)
November 28th, 2005 02:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Roostah taped it as will share the whole show later
November 28th, 2005 02:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Roostah taped it as will share the whole show later

The Phoenix area is one of my favorite spots in the country to visit, be it for business or for vacation. We were planning on seeing this show, but had to change to Memphis as my wife cannot fly until the baby is brought to term and delivered.

I am disappointed to see that the sets have decreased from 22 to 20 songs already. Even more disappointing is that it seems that the songs that are routinely skipped are some of the album tracks:

Heartbreaker
Beast of Burden
Live With Me
Waiting on a Friend
Out of Control
or even sometimes we only get 3 new songs.
etc.

I would not mind 20 songs at all if it were some more of the warhorses being rotated.

It sounds like Phoenix got a great show, albiet a short one, and that is all we can ask from them at this point. They have obviously forgotten about the performance in Salt Lake.

I am hoping that the song total picks up for memphis.

......from baby joshy
November 28th, 2005 03:26 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
I was at the Glendale show last night. It may have been the shortest show this tour.

we only got 20 tunes in denver as well, but WE GOT midnight rambler which took awhile and probably made for a bit longer of a show.

like the rocky mountain news article http://novogate.com/board/968/218241-1.html stated they have enough material to easily put on a 3 hour show. maybe they just don't have the stamina for it, tho to watch them they certainly do look energetic.
November 28th, 2005 03:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Here's the show taped by Sir Roostah

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3O2PX72E6SY261AHOWVYGE4J5O

Download and enjoy it, Roostah is very busy right now so he asked me to share this with all of you.

November 28th, 2005 06:19 PM
Gimme Shelter Many Thanks, Sir Roostah & Voodoo
November 28th, 2005 07:06 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
I was at the Glendale show last night. It may have been the shortest show this tour. They started playing at 9:13 and finished at about 11:00. The 11:05 may have included all the post-show bows. It was also a pedestrian set list. No Back Of My Hand, Paint It Black, Midnight Rambler, or Sway though they did perform Rocks Off. I could have done without Angie and the Keith set, but Night Time was good.

When I saw them in 1981, they performed 25 songs including Under My Thumb, When the Whip Comes Down, Shattered, Neighbors, Black Limousine, Just My Imagination, Twenty Flight Rock, Goin' To A Go-Go, Time Is On My Side, Waiting On A Friend, and Hang Fire. I know the reason for shortening the sets, but it still disappoints.

I did like the moving B-stage idea. In fact, I wish the entire show were on a stage that small. Ever larger stages and wireless instruments allowed the group to separate and interact less which is symptomatic of the band's history. I also could have done with less mugging and posing by Keith and Ronnie.

I don't know where Larry Rodgers was looking when he said the entire crowd was standing the whole time. Other than a kindred spirit and I, the people in my section were down after 15 minutes with their butts firmly planted on their thumbs. Methinks Rodgers doth hype too much.

Even though I am picking some major nits, it's still the Stones, and I got to see Mick perform feats of physical exertion that nobody of 62 should be able to accomplish. It would be interesting to see him run the 10K in the Senior Olympics.

Two other pluses-- I was able to miss the opening act (Jason Mraz), and I got my ticket for just over 1/2 the cover price from a scalper. Thanks to Payphone Al for the suggestion. All in all, a worthwhile evening.

I was there last night and the show was quite mediocre.
You review ib 'spot on' !!

It seems that the lower top ticket price equates to a shorter, robotic performance.
November 28th, 2005 07:11 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Nice review, Wick - good to read that Ronnie was on form, pity about the lame element of the crowd.

(I got the impression you were from England. Didnt realise you lived in the US - unless you just went over there for these shows..?)

Gazza,
Ronnie was 'on form' during the first 3 songs and asleep, thereafter......but he did 'mug' for the crowd and toss a bunch of picks to the fans....but then again, he wasn't using them much, anyway.

Roostah crows in the homeland
November 28th, 2005 07:45 PM
glencar These set lists seem to have a sameness to them night after night. I'm glad I didn't travel out west for amy of these shows. That said, The Wick provided a nicely done review.
November 28th, 2005 09:47 PM
The Wick Thanks for the kind words. Glencar, the one thing that did dissapoint me somewhat was the setlist and as correctly pointed out, the length of the show was too short. Nonetheless, on some of the numbers, they were absolutely superb.

Roostah, to each his own I suppose. I spoke to a few people last night and all were in agreement that Ronnie Wood was fantastic, one of whom is a very accomplished guitar player.

Gazza, I just lived in England for a number of years- during my formative years- and hence, some of the expressions I use might cause people to think I am English. I live on this side of the pond, but am not American either. Although I am not English, I know the culture like a native after having spent so much time there.
November 28th, 2005 10:18 PM
*ginda Stonesthrow!

I'm so glad you went. I just emailed you (before reading this.)

Congrats on your great good fortune of finding a ticket at half price. That warms my little tight wad heart.

I really enjoyed reading your review.

November 29th, 2005 01:40 AM
Stonesthrow Rooster-- Where were you sitting last night? I was in Section 111, Row T. You may have something there about mailing it in at less attractive venues. To be fair, the Phoenix crowds will never be mistaken for those at MSG either.

Ginda-- Thanks. E-mail is on the way soon.
November 29th, 2005 03:33 AM
glencar
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. Glencar, the one thing that did dissapoint me somewhat was the setlist and as correctly pointed out, the length of the show was too short. Nonetheless, on some of the numbers, they were absolutely superb.

Roostah, to each his own I suppose. I spoke to a few people last night and all were in agreement that Ronnie Wood was fantastic, one of whom is a very accomplished guitar player.

Gazza, I just lived in England for a number of years- during my formative years- and hence, some of the expressions I use might cause people to think I am English. I live on this side of the pond, but am not American either. Although I am not English, I know the culture like a native after having spent so much time there.

Just curious what your ethnic heritage is. You're welcome for the kind words. It's nice to read a review with some reasoning behind it.
November 29th, 2005 05:20 AM
corgi37 Gotta agree. Could review from THE WICK. Havent noticed you much mate, but i will from now on. I thought the reporter gave a good review too. Seemed to know his songs, which is usually surprising.

I wouldnt complain over the set, but i hope i never have to listen to Angie ever again. I also wish they'd do Get up stand up, but i think they've come to the conclusion that Night time is Lisa's song.

I'd love them to ditch YGMR and put in some thing like Heartbreaker. And for the love of Allah, i wish Keith would do Little T&A.
November 29th, 2005 11:16 AM
littleredrooster
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
Rooster-- Where were you sitting last night? I was in Section 111, Row T. You may have something there about mailing it in at less attractive venues. To be fair, the Phoenix crowds will never be mistaken for those at MSG either.

Ginda-- Thanks. E-mail is on the way soon.

Sat in 103 M at the left corner of the stage.
The visuals were fantastic!
No MSG for sure!
I thought that the crowd was vocal and really into the show!
But,considering the perfomance..........................
the shows at HB 1 & 2 as well as MGM were MUCH better!
Jagger and Charlie continue to be the glue that holds this ship together.
Jagger was extremely animated for this one.
It seems that his sessions at the Phoenician lubed his articulations to the MAX!
He flew around the stage like a disjointed scarecrow for at least 90 minutes.
As far as the guitar work, look to Darryl Jones...he was
truly 'on fire'!!

Sir Roostah
[Edited by littleredrooster]
November 29th, 2005 02:17 PM
Stonesthrow [quote]littleredrooster wrote:

>>I thought that the crowd was vocal and really into the show!<<

Your section was considerably better than mine.

>>Jagger and Charlie continue to be the glue that holds this ship together.<<

As far as concerts are concerned, that is absolutely true. Keith and Ronnie seemed to be along for the ride on Sunday. During Keith's set, his speech and mannerisms seemed more slurred than normal to me. Maybe they could have arrested him for PUI (playing under the influence).

>>Jagger was extremely animated for this one. He flew around the stage like a disjointed scarecrow for at least 90 minutes.<<

I would never have thought to use that description. However, upon further reflection, it fits.

>>As far as the guitar work, look to Darryl Jones...he was
truly 'on fire'!!<<

This was the first concert I've seen where Darryl got a bass solo however brief.

[quote]
November 29th, 2005 07:11 PM
littleredrooster
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
[quote]littleredrooster wrote:

>>I thought that the crowd was vocal and really into the show!<<

Your section was considerably better than mine.

>>Jagger and Charlie continue to be the glue that holds this ship together.<<

As far as concerts are concerned, that is absolutely true. Keith and Ronnie seemed to be along for the ride on Sunday. During Keith's set, his speech and mannerisms seemed more slurred than normal to me. Maybe they could have arrested him for PUI (playing under the influence).

>>Jagger was extremely animated for this one. He flew around the stage like a disjointed scarecrow for at least 90 minutes.<<

I would never have thought to use that description. However, upon further reflection, it fits.

>>As far as the guitar work, look to Darryl Jones...he was
truly 'on fire'!!<<

This was the first concert I've seen where Darryl got a bass solo however brief.

[quote]

PUI!!!
LMAO!!!!

Darryl on RFD was a highlight.
I'd like to hear his lead riffs on Under My Thumb
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)