ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Gypsy rules the entire world!!
Continental Club, Houston TX November - December 2, 2005
© 2005 Newscom, with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Taylor VS Clapton Return to archive
November 25th, 2005 04:50 PM
star star just a few questions for you guys to have a bit of fun answering thats all....here are a few guiders
1) who do you think was faster at their peak?
2) who had the nicest vibrato?
3) who was cooler?
4) who was the most melodic, inventive etc?
5) who had the best tone?

and anything else you feel that helps one sides argument would be cool too....cheers!
November 25th, 2005 04:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]star star wrote:
just a few questions for you guys to have a bit of fun answering thats all....here are a few guiders
EC
EC
3) who was cooler?
MT
MT
MT
November 25th, 2005 04:59 PM
star star you sure clapped out was faster? cos street fighting man circa 73 was pretty smoking. also, what other guitarists do you think he was better than?
November 25th, 2005 05:31 PM
T&A I'd say in their respective peaks they were relative equals as guitarists. Won't bother to break it down. The folks who piss and moan about EC these days are nuts, though.
November 25th, 2005 06:11 PM
star star i know speed isnt anything to do with being a great player, i mean in my eyes i still rate peter green above both of them simply because of his "feel" and the way his playing sends a shiver down my spine....just listening too MT's "Spanish/A minor" and that is pretty fast and strangely jazz fusiony!
!
November 25th, 2005 07:00 PM
scratched 1) who do you think was faster at their peak?

Tough one but probably Mick judging by various boots.

Mick's was/is beautiful.

3) who was cooler?

Eric (especially 1966-1971).

Mick most melodic, and most inventive with phrasing and melody. Eric was more inventive with effects and musical stylings.

Both pretty similar. Hard to tell.
November 25th, 2005 11:10 PM
Scottfree Slowhand vs Fasthand...Mick Taylor in a Reaganesqus landslide....
November 28th, 2005 06:47 AM
Honky Tonk Man It's Eric Clapton all the way for me. I have no idea who was the fastest, but NO OTHER Brittish blues guitarist sounded better than Clapton in the mid to late 60's!

Yeah, I think he went a bit lame in the 70's, but he was very cool before-hand.

I really enjoy Mick Taylor's playing and he was undoubtidly wonderful with the Stones, but aside from that, the man has never done it for me.
November 28th, 2005 06:50 AM
lotsajizz such lists and rankings are just silly...it's apples and oranges, they play differently--each are excellent

at least God never went on twinkie binges!!
November 28th, 2005 08:13 AM
Mathijs 1) who do you think was faster at their peak?
EC, no doubt about it. EC is a player much like Abert and Freddie King, and Albert Collins: being able to throw out a burst of notes at breakneck speed. Taylor is fast, but not spectacular.

Depends. Taylor has the nicest slide vibrato of any guitarist around, but Clapton has a nicer vibrato when playing finger style.

3) who was cooler?
Clapton. I never considered Mick Taylor any cool. His image is of a shy schoolboy. Clapton was a style icon in the '60s, and ultra rockstar-cool in the 70s.

Taylor is far more melodic, but Clapton is much more inventive. Taylor with the Stones was a pure blues player, who made brilliant melodies within the confines of pentatonic minor blues scales. His solo's were little songs within songs. But, for every song he had an rough idea of what to play, and stuck to that. What amazes me most about Clapton is that he approaches every solo he plays like its the fist time ever he plays the solo. You never know with Clapton what he will do, how it will sound. Take the last Cream tour in the UK. Five nights in a row, but he never played a solo a second time.

Taylor, but Taylor only has one tone while Clapton reinvented himself every couple of years. His Cream tone is completely different to the Derek & the Dominoes tone, and different again to his solo-work tone. Taylor's dark Les Paul tone is brilliant, but Clapton's airy Derek and the Dominoes tone is heaven too.

Imagine the Stones hired Clapton after Taylor left...

Mathijs
November 28th, 2005 09:03 AM
lotsajizz Clapton would've quit sooner than MT...he's just not that comfortable being comfortable, especially in the seventies
November 28th, 2005 12:49 PM
texile clapton is a great british blues guitarist....
but taylor with the stones had the benefit of the stones music.......and his melodies were unmatched.
clapton is speed and blues riffing - endless variations of the blues scale...
but taylor had a much more graceful quality (vibrato, lyricism)....and live, he was much more inventive with melodic lines.
just listen those solos from the 72,73 boots -
on ycagwyw.....they make clapton sound studied...taylor would add, augment those standard blues riffs with beautiful melodic touches...
taylor's post-stones downfall too often overshadows his brilliance....
November 28th, 2005 12:54 PM
texile and as for who was the coolest?
taylor was a rolling stone,
taylor made sticky fingers and exile -
even layla can't compare to that...
so, by association - taylor all the way.....
November 28th, 2005 02:53 PM
star star and of course MT was "a child prodigy" i mean, bluesbreakers at 17?!? has anyone heard "diary of a band" by the bluesbreakers? apparently taylor is best live on this and plays weird scales and fast jazz stuff which the stones knocked out of him when he went back to playing within the framework of their songs.... is it any good? plus have any of you heard spanish/a minor? that whole instrumental is beautifully crafted
November 28th, 2005 05:02 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
EC, no doubt about it. EC is a player much like Abert and Freddie King, and Albert Collins: being able to throw out a burst of notes at breakneck speed. Taylor is fast, but not spectacular.
Mathijs

Once I saw that video "The Cream Of Eric Clapton" and his speed in "Worried Life Blues" impressed me. He played a perfect note progression in a fantastic speed. Great song, that.
November 29th, 2005 04:11 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
Once I saw that video "The Cream Of Eric Clapton" and his speed in "Worried Life Blues" impressed me. He played a perfect note progression in a fantastic speed. Great song, that.

Check out Clapton's appearence at the Last Waltz of the band, or the opening song of his live album "EC was here". That's mindboggling speed if you ask me!

Mathijs
November 29th, 2005 11:45 AM
jpenn11
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Albert Collins? I'm a fan of his and regard his "breakneck" as taking the 15-year-old-beloved car to the edge of its capabilities, unlike, say, the DeLucia, McLaughlin, DiMeola trio that actually played fast like a Ferrari. Clarence Gatemouth Brown was a blues (country, jazz, etc.) guitarist who used speed well, in my view.

Guitarists such as Buddy Guy and Clapton seemed to play with speed for speed's sake. The Kings--more Freddie than the others as far as I recall--and Taylor used speed as part of the story they tell with their solos. Taylor played fast enough to get his story across (the note flurries in the '73 Gimme Shelters, the extended peak in Snowy Wood, etc.), which in the end is what matters. If you're into competition and want speed, listen to A Night in San Francisco.

Incidentally, I've read Clapton say only kind things about Taylor (not always with respect to the Stones in general), and Taylor is very obviously a fan of Clapton.
November 29th, 2005 04:44 PM
star star
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

If you're into competition and want speed, listen to A Night in San Francisco.

no no no im not into competition in general it was just a few random questions thats all.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)