ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ice Palace, Tampa, Florida March 3, 1999
By Roostah!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Faithfull sounds from a '60s survivor (NSC) Return to archive
11-29-02 11:42 AM
CS Faithfull sounds from a '60s survivor
By Chris J. Walker
Correspondent
According to Marianne Faithfull, grand madam of rock, who'll be featured at UCLA's Royce Hall on Sunday, it's so much easier being a ``chick singer'' these days. Her basis of comparison goes back to the British Invasion. ``That's one of the few things which is a small victory from the '60s,'' she wryly states by telephone from a hotel in London. ``It still hasn't gone far enough. But yes, women's place in music is a little better than it was.''

Unquestionably, she speaks with authority; she was very involved with the music _ and the infamous sex and drugs _ notoriously associated with it. Additionally, there aren't too many like her from that era who are still carrying on.

``I don't understand that,'' Faithfull laments, ``but not everyone is in this for life.'' She's often compared to the very photogenic singer Nico, known for her association with the Velvet Underground and Andy Warhol. Nico died in 1988, and she and Faithfull never met. Nonetheless, the British singer wrote a song on her latest CD in Nico's honor because she liked her work and understood her frustration.

Contrarily, Faithfull, 55, is creatively stronger than ever these days. She's even returned to acting with ``Intimacy,'' 2001 winner of the best film award at the Berlin Film Festival, and ``Far From China,'' which will be released early next year. Still, ever since her first big hit, ``As Tears Go By,'' originally released in 1965 (the first song penned by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards), she's been committed to music. As Jagger's girlfriend from that time till the '70s, she returned the favor with ``Sister Morphine'' (on ``Sticky Fingers'' in 1969). Following that, she took a well-documented hard fall due to drugs.

Fortunately, that's all ancient history for Faithfull, and she grandly transcended it by resurrecting her career with ``Broken English'' in 1979. ``I did have quite a long time off,'' the once-tragic singer admits, ``but I never stopped thinking about music. I was actually planning (Broken English) for a long time. I just couldn't actualize it.''

Since re-emerging, she's been consistently cranking out projects _ with mixed results. Most of her success has been in Europe, but Faithfull as a true artist hasn't been concerned about recapturing the glory of the past. She's had enough of that, thank you very much.

Instead, she lets the creative winds take her in myriad directions. ``Strange Weather'' (1987) is a collection of standards and contemporary songs produced by Hal Willner, the highly orchestrated ``Secret Life'' (1995) was recorded with producer Angelo Badalmenti, ``20th Century Blues'' (1997) is an exploration of German cabaret and Kurt Weill, and ``Vagabond Ways'' (1999) was made with iconic producer Daniel Lanois (U2 & Bob Dylan).

On her newest project, ``Kissin' Time,'' Faithfull enlists modern rockers Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Beck, Blur and Jarvis Cocker (Pulp). The results are an interesting blend of electronica and Faithfull's rocking maturity. A parental advisory label adorns the CD although it contains no profanity. Jon Pareles of The New York Times wrote that ``Kissin' Time'' has ``the sound of a woman who's seen plenty of trouble and is ready to stir up more.''

``I consider that a badge of honor,'' the surviving rocker proclaims. Essentially, Faithfull got great work out her collaborators and has adapted to the times. Most importantly, she steadfastly maintains her own identity. ``It was really lovely and good fun,'' she said glowingly in regard to working with musician/producers from a younger generation.

``It was interesting to me, I learned an awful lot,'' said Faithfull, referring to new types of studio tools. Recalling the days and technology of the rocking '60s, she's amazed how they got anything done. The flip side is that some of the new songs aren't concert-worthy.

Faithfull comments, ``I'm such a very live performer that I really don't like to be tied to a loop. It's not really my style''

Overall, most of her new tunes are well-suited for live performance. She and her quartet have been playing them around the world since March. Occasionally, some of her ``Kissin' Time'' cohorts make guest appearances, as did Corgan in his native Chicago.

``The first show we did in London in March,'' she recalled, ``Pulp came on and we did 'Sliding Through Life on Charm.' Beck may come for the L.A. show, but I can't promise it.''

MARIANNE FAITHFULL
Where: UCLA's Royce Hall.
When: 8 p.m. Sunday.
Tickets: $30, $35 and $40. (310) 825-2101 or www.uclalive.com.