ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ice Palace, Tampa, Florida March 3, 1999
By Roostah!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Macca special tonight..critics already praising Return to archive
11-27-02 11:56 AM
jb Tom Jicha, of Sun Sentinel, says this is a must for any Beatle fan....quotes Sylvester Stallone as saying going to a Paul M. concert is a sombering experience..Also, Jack Nicholson is also seen in footage(turncoat bastard).
11-27-02 12:01 PM
Jumacfly An exclusive news for you Sly: Macca is a woman, and his name is Angela Lansbury......
11-27-02 12:15 PM
Gazza >Also, Jack Nicholson is also seen in footage(turncoat bastard).

LMAO...."Quote of the week" award...
11-27-02 12:17 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy No comment...

But if I'm mysteriously absent for three hours and terribly happy for the rest of the night, I can neither confirm nor deny anything...

-tSYX --- I just want everyone out there in radioland to know that we are playing naked...
11-27-02 12:18 PM
Nellcote Macca is revolting. The only good thing about this would be the backing band, which IMO, is not that bad. He should have reformed as much of the first Wings lineup as possible, to show any sort of credibility. That he chose that tart for a wife has caused embarrasment for his whole family. She is so full of herself it is tiring. He sucked up big time with that lame singalong "Freedom", his record company had the gaul to release this new cd the same day as his now dead counterpart in that insect band, shows exactly how much say he has in matters any more. Is he to show up at the George fest this weekend in the UK? Here's hoping he goes to fight Wacko Jacko for the song rights to the insect songs he foolishly let slip through his hands instead. We don't need his pathetic warble anywhere near that tribute.

Guess I should stick to decaf again....
That South American matte is wicked pissa though.....

I'm putting in "Being Mick" instead, which aired 364 days ago, a far better take IMO...
[Edited by Nellcote]
11-27-02 12:32 PM
Fiji Joe Oh shit Jumacafly! I thought I was the only one who noticed the disturbing resemblance between Macca and Landsbury...And what of Fred Savage from the Wonder Years? What are we to make of this?
11-27-02 01:45 PM
Boomhauer He's promoting his live album and live DVD. I will not be persuaded, though.

And I don't think jb will be, either! lol
11-27-02 01:48 PM
glencar Won't JB be getting ready for the Joint in Vegas? A man as rich as him would surely be headed that way...

Macca sucks these days. He's almost as bad as J-Lo & at least she doesn't look like Jessica Fletcher.
11-27-02 02:11 PM
Fiji Joe Does Jessica have the booty? It is the booty you know, who care if they can sing...
11-27-02 02:44 PM
jb Fiji..I made the Angela lansbery comment about 8 months ago...His red dye job was very similar.
11-27-02 02:48 PM
Joey Actually , MACCA is God !!!!!

Without Paul McCartney , we would all be .......................................................................................

Developing ....................

Skittles

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ THE JOEY }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

11-27-02 02:51 PM
jb Joey..the Who have really disappeared...
11-27-02 02:56 PM
sammy davis jr. Good god man, some of you guys sound like jealous stepchildren or something. I mean all Paul and John did was inspire your heroes to quit copying Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and actually write their own material. And as far as sucking, I don't see Paul carrying around three backup singers to "cover him" 'cause he can't hit the high notes anymore, unlike a certain singer who shall remain nameless. Paul is singing and playing as good as ever. Yeah Freedom sucked, but so did Stealing My Heart and moreso Losing My Touch. I also doubt the revenue those songs generate are going to be donated to charity like Freedom was. Say what you want about his wife, at least she's not sixteen freaking years old. Lighten up Francis.
11-27-02 03:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy "Freedom" sucked ass. Terrible, horrible amounts of ass. I still haven't forgiven him for writing it. Just a terrible, boring song with no real message. As hollow as all those terrible country tributes.

That being said, Driving Rain was a wonderful album. "Lonely Road", "From A Lover To A Friend", "She's Given Up Talking", "About You", even the title track was passable. I've already ranted about "Rinse The Raindrops" enough - go find this song if you think McCartney's a soggy-ass popstar. He'll kick your ass and eat you alive with this one. It's his own "Can't You Hear Me Knocking".

And no, I don't particularly care for his new wife either. I saw her on Larry King and she seemed nice enough, though. At least she won't convince him to become a vegitarian ('cause he already is one - actually, when Linda wasn't around McCartney used to run out and sneak a burger. Now he's a veggie guy out of guilt, I guess). But why does his wife matter in regard to him?

Oh, yeah, he does look disturbingly like Angela Lansbury... the manjugs-of-venerability certainly help him there.

I mean, I can't tell ya it enough - I *hate* McCartney's power-pop stuff. But his straight up rockers, even "I Saw Her Standing There", so early on, gave the Stones a kick that they needed to get moving. Mick & Keith were so impressed at how Lennon & McCartney wrote together (they sat in the corner and worked out the verse/chorus/bridge stuff to "I Want To Be Your Man" while the Glimmer Twins waited) that they felt this drive to keep playing.

And need we forget, George Harrison got the Stones their first contract.

So no, you don't have to like the Beatles, or Paula McCartsbury for that matter, to like the Stones. But they did have a tremendous impact on them.

And there's no way that the Stones would have made it in the US without the Beatles. Even if not musically, the sheer politics of the record labels at the time. It just wouldn't have happened.

So it's all in the opinion of the listener - but I'll be tuned in tonight.

Plus, if this is a hit, it'll make CBS all the more eager to snag the Stones for a TV special, and then they'll want to put out a double live album from this tour, and when people realize how damn good they're sounding, we'll have a *real* rock revival...

-tSYX --- In the morning skies will clear and I'll be here...
11-27-02 03:15 PM
Nellcote Sorry Sammy Jr. When you were in your older years, you had far more than Macca has at the same age.. He tanks, period. Very lightweight. One more syrup laden melody gets the techno yawn at the porcelain buddha! His donating to the cause, very admirable, tragically, it will not amount to much, due to the flop the cd was. He needs a pr coach, desparately. Stand him along side, say another elder Brit solo artist, who may/may not have as extensive a catalog, say Clapton, whom exudes class, can still write a good song, Macca needs the wheelchair.Don't give John/Paul so much credit for Mick/Keith's songwriting, Loog wins that prize. I'm not here to make the Beatles/Stones matter, rather to point out that Macca's gig is so scripted, no night is different, it's old coming out of the gate. Yeah, The Stones get on auto pilot, but c'mon, Macca vs the Stones? Even Julian Lennon could not help him.
11-27-02 03:21 PM
jb Well said Nellcote...you would be surprised how many Macca worshippers there are on Stone Message boards...
11-27-02 03:21 PM
sirmoonie "manjugs-of-venerability"

Damn, thats a good one whatever it means.
11-27-02 03:22 PM
Honky Tonker Savage says "Rinse the Raindrops" is Paul's CYHMK. I think "Let Me Roll It" would be a better comparison. Better idea, too!!!!
11-27-02 03:36 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Honky Tonker wrote:
Savage says "Rinse the Raindrops" is Paul's CYHMK. I think "Let Me Roll It" would be a better comparison. Better idea, too!!!!

How do ya mean? You mean "Let Me Roll It" is Paul's "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"? Nah. "Roll It" is Paul's "I want to prove to John Lennon that I can sing his type of music too - and be better at it than he is - by the way, Sometime In New York City SUCKED ASS". It's an OK song - a bit repetitive, drawn-out. And he does sound just like John Lennon on it. Have you heard "Ono (Bag Her Away)"? McCartney and Jeff Lynne did it for fun - if you think Paul McCartney'll never say anything politically incorrect, think again. He *rips* on Yoko Ono, even imitates her. It's so terribly cruel but terribly funny at the same time. He also did songs called "Sheik Amir Shecammel" (about terrorists who have whiny suburbanite groupies who think it's cool to pretend to be in Al-Queda) and "Mrs. Stretchmark" (about a guy who falls in love with a much older woman... *much* older woman...), both of which are terribly nasty. He's got a mean streak in him, that McCartney.

Yes, jb, you would be surprised how many Beatles fans are on Stones message boards. What a surprise! People who like the Stones sometimes like *other music groups*! Whoa... imagine that.

-tSYX --- Angela's waitin'... with her high-heeled shoes and her low-necked sweater...
11-27-02 05:04 PM
Joey " Joey..the Who have really disappeared... "

" THE WHO will be BACK !!!!! "

-- Peter Dennis Blanford Townshend ( Mansfield , MA 09/28/02 )

YES !!!!!

" Don't pull any Entwistles this weekend Ronnie "

Joeykins

11-27-02 05:07 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Joey wrote:
" THE WHO will be BACK !!!!! "

Joeykins

When? I think the Who are over.....sadly.
11-27-02 05:49 PM
sammy davis jr. For the record, I'm not a Macca worshipper.... I much prefer the Stones to Mac, but sheeez, give the guy his due. I don't hear the Stones writing any more Cant You Hear Me Knockings, or Sways, so does that mean they've gone soft too? I guess so. Losing My Touch is every bit as bad as anything Paul's written the last 10 years. And Clapton can still write a good song? Puuulleeeaaasee!!! And I reiterate: Mac doesn't need to drag around backup singers to "help" him sing main melody lines. He does it himself.
11-28-02 10:11 AM
T.CentralScrutinizer You're absolutely right Sammy Davis, and I stand by every word you say. Anyhow, McCartney is one of those rare musicians who certainly don't need fans whose comments are as brilliants as his detractors. Don't care about his concerts, never have (he was never a live act as exciting as the stones, of course) and "Freedom" is an absolutely lapse of taste with anything related to the Beatles legacy. (Compare the near contemporary stuff by 40 Licks and Driving Rain however, and I'd stay with the uncompromising and ballsy "Rinse the raindrops" over "Losing my touch" -revealing title, at least in the songwritting department- every day. "Don't stop" is cool though.)
Driving Rain, while certainly no Ram, could be McCartney's Blood On The Tracks. (A bit of a stretch, I know.) Who cares if it flopped in the stupid global market? (Goddess anyone?)
11-28-02 01:54 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
jb wrote:
Well said Nellcote...you would be surprised how many Macca worshippers there are on Stone Message boards...

Yes, well said.
I still belive that the 'Paul is dead' stories are true!
11-28-02 01:58 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
An exclusive news for you Sly: Macca is a woman, and his name is Angela Lansbury......

She was great in 'The Manchurian Candidate'. The prototype
for Hillary Hamrod Clinton IMO.......
11-28-02 08:11 PM
Honky Tonker Savage, just meant that "Let Me Roll It" has a great guitar lick in it. LMRI doesn't compare to the nastiness of CYHMK, but what does? Also, while the Stones are far and away my favorites, I like many different bands and styles of music. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful I got to see Keef again, among many other things!
11-28-02 09:15 PM
Prodigal Son You know, McCartney's op stuff is a little hard to take and I find the Beatles much more hard-edged if you program out his songs. But "Maybe I'm Amazed" is amazing you gotta admit. Certainly his best solo song, almost as good as "Hey Jude." Band on the Run has good stuff, but all his other albums until Driving Rain and Flaming Pie in the 90s sucked major ass indeed. Yes, John was better in my opinion but McCartney must be given his due as a major pop writer. Then again, he deserves his due as an old annoying figure that must go away for a while then emerge with a tour every 10 years. Albums are fine but he's had 40 years of fame to go around campaigning for banning land mines and stuff. When will he be finished? Anyway, he's always been light pop since 1970 and frequently was before that (just the others evened out his panache for corniness).
11-28-02 09:28 PM
kath mccartney is a great poet...."blackbird" is a perfect example. wht a beautiful song. he is a wonderful songwriter, although i really hated "freedom"...very tiresome.

i'll never stop loving and be grateful for the beatles, they opened the door for SO many things...not just the stones...
11-28-02 10:59 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
kath wrote:
mccartney is a great poet...."blackbird" is a perfect example. wht a beautiful song. he is a wonderful songwriter, although i really hated "freedom"...very tiresome.

i'll never stop loving and be grateful for the beatles, they opened the door for SO many things...not just the stones...

Hmm... I wouldn't say he's a great poet. In fact, I think the biggest problems with McCartney's solo stuff is that he doesn't have Lennon to drag him down to earth on the lyrics. When they worked together, even songs that were almost exclusively McCartney or Lennon would get treatment from the other - even if it was just them listening to it in a demo form and saying "Mmm... 's'nice."

Yes, we owe much to The Beatles. You don't have to like 'em - but you do owe the Stones's initial success to them.

Now, their *continued* success, forty years on? That's their own skill.

Oh, and the show last night rocked. Some of the songs were cut, which bugged me, 'specially the rockin' version of "Live & Let Die"... that guitar player of his, Rusty Anderson, he's damn good. The best part? Seeing him tear through "Matchbox" on the guitar. I didn't know he could play that well. He has a lead style that's actually very similar to Ronnie's - choppy snarling kinda stuff. He plays the lead on "Taxman", which is why that song's so well-liked; it's got that snarling, jump-at-you guitar.

-tSYX --- Get up! Get out!