ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ice Palace, Tampa, Florida March 3, 1999
By Roostah!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: november 27 Return to archive
11-27-02 03:38 AM
stonedinaustralia yes indeed, let's drink to jimi - the only real "genius" rock n roll has really thrown up - (well maybe dylan too)

and yes 33 years since MSG '69 but further and speaking of geniuses ( or should that be genii), and this is where it all gets a bit spooky, its the 66th anniversary of the day robert johnson laid down, as a lesson to jimi, the stones and the rest of us -

with no overdubs no remixing and no more than two takes

"she's red hot"

"if i had possession over judgment day"

"rollin' and a tumblin'"

and most of all

"crossroads"

it's a big day for music

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-27-02 04:59 AM
gypsymofo60 Aha......spooky indeed Stoney. Good list, here's a few more, Me & The Devil Blues Micks little acoustic piece in Performance...Come on In My Kitchen, do you think Mick's "in my kitchen" on Live With Me is a reference to Johnsons' song? Hellhound On My Trail.
11-27-02 06:14 AM
stonedinaustralia come on in my kitchen was done on the 23rd - beat that robert johnson trivia buffs!!

"hellhound" and "love in vain" & "me and the devil.." were recorded at the very last session johnson ever did...

the first sessions were in a san antonio hotel room .. the second lot in a warehouse in dallas june '37
11-27-02 11:30 AM
Jumacfly *mick have you got "hendrix blues"???
it fuckin rocks!!

Cheers
11-27-02 03:03 PM
stonedinaustralia hey ju - cheers to you too

no i don't have "hendrix blues" but i'm sure it does rock
11-27-02 10:12 PM
gypsymofo60 Stoney, what's the earliest blues recording you've heard?
11-28-02 05:48 AM
~AzQb

HeyAussieStonEd!

...you know i had this little chat with HowlinWolf's old guitar player-- the One,TheOnly, Hubert JawDropppinSumlin, talkin 'bout when Jimi was doin the Chitlin' Curcuit. Seems Jimi was humble and teachable on the oldest of blues, and the old man taught him a few tricks he still has up his OhSoRiGhtEoUsSleeve.

More than any other player i can rightly think of at the moment, Jimi seemed to be THEAntenna-- and by that i mean SoundItself fascinated him-- birds, wind, water, bombs, you name it. Everything was picked up and "transmitted", right.

No copy machines there * ) Jimi got it fresh

~
11-28-02 06:23 AM
stonedinaustralia gmf i'm not real sure on the dates but i've got some charlie patton -kinda like johnson but without the nasty edge

`Az you are so right - and that is one of the nicest, sweetest and most (as you say) OhSoRiGhtEoUs posts of yours (or anybody for that matter when i come to think about it) i've ever had the pleasure to read and i'm glad it was addressed to me - thanx!!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]