ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

When The Whip Comes Down
Kiel Opera House, St. Louis Missouri - July 11, 1978
By Chief Moon

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 2004 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (nsc) Return to archive
11-20-03 03:11 PM
LadyJane This should spark some conversation:

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- The late George Harrison, Prince, Traffic and ZZ Top are among the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. Jackson Browne, the Dells and Bob Seger round out the group.

Yawning as I type this!!

LJ.
11-20-03 03:53 PM
T&A about time for that "li'l ol' band from Tejas"...
11-20-03 03:53 PM
nankerphelge Damn right!

11-20-03 04:01 PM
Joey
Finally ...................................

ZZ Top !!!!!!!!!
11-20-03 05:15 PM
Prodigal Son I think all those inductees are worth it, except for Bob Seger-god choke me now! That's silly and I dunno if Jackson Browne deserves it. Are they intent on putting anybody who was a singer-songwriter in the 70s in there? Yeesh.
11-20-03 06:15 PM
Hooked Bad list. George Harrison should not be inducted as solo artist--nothing against him personally, but his solo stuff was not that noteworthy. He's only getting in b/c he's a Beatle and b/c he died recently. He's already rightfully inducted in as a Beatle, why is there a need for this additional induction? Somehow, I don't think Ringo will get in a solo artist and his solo career has been about as noteworthy as George's was--but George is viewed as a more "serious" musician.

More importantly, check out some of the nominees that did not get in:

Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd
John Cougar Mellencamp
The O'Jays
Gram Parsons
The Sex Pistols
Patti Smith
The Stooges
Traffic

Not that all of these deserve to get in, but how can Black Sabbath and the Pistols not get in, even if one doesn't like them that much? The Pistols did only had one album but it was a doozy. Arguably, they each were the seminal bands of their respective genres.

Traffic probably has a good case and even Lynyrd Skynyrd has a case if ZZ Top could get in. Iggy and the Stooges seem to be a no-brainer. And Van Halen isn't even nominated. I think the Jann Wenner-VH1 crowd have totally taken the whole thing over. Not much credibility left here...

11-20-03 06:34 PM
T&A Hooked:

check again - Traffic did get in...
11-21-03 04:05 PM
Prodigal Son I don't really think Mellencamp should go in, but those others are deserving. Especially the skynyrd and the Stooges. Come on! Jann Wenner is truly a weiner. The more boring, unoriginal fluff of Jackson Browne and Bob Seger is being put ahead of such great bands of the past. Man, Skynyrd was eligable 5 years ago! Now that you've mentioned those acts I AM mad about this year's list.
11-21-03 04:17 PM
glencar I'm in total agreement that JB & BS shouldn't get in. I actually like some of their stuff but it's not very noteworthy, is it?
11-21-03 04:18 PM
glencar I just realized that in 5 years Mick J will be eligible! Tempus fugit!
11-21-03 05:35 PM
Hooked
quote:
T&A wrote:
Hooked:

check again - Traffic did get in...

whoops! thanks, T&A...
11-21-03 09:12 PM
Steel Wheels Harrison deserves this more than anyone. From All Things Must Pass to the recent and brilliant Brainwashed, he's created things his way, from the heart, for himself.

Right on!
11-21-03 09:58 PM
Gimme Shelter I totally agree that George Harrison should be inducted. I've heard the reason Black Sabbath has not been inducted is because Ozzy refuses the nomination.
11-21-03 10:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I totally agree that George Harrison should be inducted. I've heard the reason Black Sabbath has not been inducted is because Ozzy refuses the nomination.

Who are They? Who are these people that decide who's in or out? Who appointed these people? WTF. I wonder what or if there's any legitimacy here? Who are they?
11-21-03 10:18 PM
Gimme Shelter According to what I heard on the radio, the voters are members of the music industry.
11-21-03 11:08 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
I think all those inductees are worth it, except for Bob Seger-god choke me now! That's silly and I dunno if Jackson Browne deserves it. Are they intent on putting anybody who was a singer-songwriter in the 70s in there? Yeesh.

Prodie, Seger was better than most pedestrians of his genre. The guy had a few gems. Re-check them out when you get a chance.
11-23-03 11:16 AM
nankerphelge Where are the Bay City Rollers?

11-23-03 11:48 PM
Martini
quote:
Hooked wrote:
More importantly, check out some of the nominees that did not get in:

Black Sabbath

There are some pretty sorry ass cats in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. They spend too much time inducting incredibly marginal "influences" whom nobody gives a shit about (i.e. The Moonglows, Dion, The Inkspots, The Soul Stirrers, The Orioles) while they leave off TOWERING influences like the legendary Black Sabbath. Even if you hate Sabbath, you would be wrong to say that they did not create the template for modern metal along with their contemporaies. They were/are incredible. Long live Ozzy (now decayed, unfortunately) Tony Iommi, Geezer, and Mr. Ward.

To not induct Black Sabbath is, for the R & R Hall of Fame, to say that somehow a sorry ass motherfucker like Dion is more deserving of the honor than Sabbath. That is some really sad shit.

It is almost as bad as saying that a baseball player with 4256 hits is not worthy of the HOF.

Shit, Neil Diamond totally deserves to be in before most of the sorry ass cats they induct every year.

-Martini

[Edited by Martini]
11-24-03 06:37 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martini wrote:
To not induct Black Sabbath is, for the R & R Hall of Fame, to say that somehow a sorry ass motherfucker like Dion is more deserving of the honor than Sabbath. That is some Shit, Neil Diamond totally deserves to be in before most of

Can some band be not inducted, and nominated again another year and get in? Like...is there a second chance? Martini is right about BS though.
11-24-03 06:49 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Where are the Bay City Rollers?

What? They sucked...but then again we all have our own tastes. Can you recommend any good BCR bootlegs? I don't think there's much of a market for them, but I might be wrong.