ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Enjoy your Sweet Lord while our guitars gently weep!

Rest in Peace - George Harrison
Liverpool February 24, 1943 - Los Ángeles November 29, 2001

By Jeff Christensen (Reuters)
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Has anyone else noticed..... Return to archive
11-21-01 09:29 AM
Maxlugar ...That God Gave Me Everything sounds just like The Kinks Add It Up?

Especially the beginning.

Got Goddess last night. I think I need to give it another spin before commenting.

As of now, I think both sides have valid points on the pros and cons of this album.

And Maxy is no middle of the road man. I need to let this thing soak into my pores a little.

Goddess makes makes say "Huh?" so far.
11-21-01 09:35 AM
Joey My Maxy......

Please listen over and over again to the tracks " Gun " and " Joy ." No filler these ..........

Makes young Joey 's Custard Cups Runneth Over .....

" Lose a Soft Shoe Up My Ass Ronnie "

Joey, C10

11-21-01 12:25 PM
Cardinal Fang Maxy!

I hear what your talking about with the Kink's 1981 "Add It Up" during the chorus but there is a song that is EVEN CLOSER.

As a guitarist, let me break it down to the actual chord progressions.

Add It Up's chords are D, F, A, C. Transposed down a half step they would become C#, E, G#, B

God Gave Me Everything I Want's chords are C#, E, A, F#

So it's understandable why you would think they sounded similar because the first two chords WOULD be the same, AND they have the SAME rhythm.

BUT, I'll give you one that's even CLOSER !

God Gave Me Everything I Want sounds almost EXACTLY like The Ramones, "Commando" (only with a slightly slower tempo)

As I said, Mick's song's chords are, C#,E,A,F#

The Ramones chord's are C#,E,A,B

("B" is the secondary chord of "F#") This came out on their second album "Leave Home" in 1977.

3 1/2 out of 4 chords are EXACTLY the same, AND in the same order so there you go.

Here at "The Vatican" I've played both tracks back to back for people unfamiliar with either and in every case except one, without any prompting they have all said something to the effect of, "Is this the same song ?" The one person who didn't say anything was pretty much out of it due to reasons I can't really get into. (or shouldn't)

For the rest of you who are ready to jump in here with "there are only so many chord combinations in the known universe" DON'T, cause I already know this. I am only responding to a friends question. If you can give me an example of another song with a 4 out of 4 chord match for SPECIFICALLY G.G.M.E.I.W. I would be interested in hearing about that. (C#. E. A. F#) I'm only interested in THAT song.

I already know about all of the other Stones "E, A" or "A, D" or "C, Csus" identical songs. We are ONLY talking about God Gave Me Everything I Want. so save the "Some Girls, Respectable," blah blah blah . similarities. I ALREADY KNOW.

If I don't talk to any of you later on, have a nice Thanksgiving.

Later, Cardinal Fang.

11-21-01 12:45 PM
Maxlugar Oooooo, I got another one. The Kinks Catch Me Now I'm Falling and the Rolling Stones Jimpin' Jack Flash!

Or the Kinks All Day and of the Night and the Kinks 'Till the End of the Day and the Kinks Paranoia.

I'm just having fun, Fangy.

May all of you have a great Thanksgiving and may your O-Stones Layer stay thick and proud. Like my penis.

Maxy
11-21-01 02:16 PM
nankerphelge I'm curious why someone who should have responded to the Cardinal didn't or why he shouldn't explain why they didn't, or why they did, or whatever they did or didn't do.
That's what I want to know, y'know?

Anyhow, as with Jagger's other solo efforts, I did not get this one either. Glad to hear it sold under 1000 on the first day of release -- hope Being Mick does as well. The ego trip has me a bit anti-Mick in case you couldn;t tell.

To those that would have me beaten for such blasphemy -- save your breath -- first of all I don't give a shit and second of all your breath is bad!

Let's get on with the Stones please.
11-21-01 02:20 PM
Joey ....Or " Rock and Roll Fantasy " and " Gimme Shelter " .

Ok , How about , " It's only Jukebox Music " and " Under My Thumb ?????????"

May each and every single one of you have a very Happy Happy Thanksgiving and may you all drinky drinky drink this evening.....a little Saba Spice for starters .......perhaps ????????

" Smack me Silly Ronnie till I grin like a mental patient ."

Joey von Tappity Tappily Tap Tap Tap

11-21-01 03:03 PM
Cardinal Fang Nanker said, "I'm curious why someone who should have responded to the Cardinal didn't or why he shouldn't explain why they didn't, or why they did, or whatever they did or didn't do.
That's what I want to know, y'know?"

I'm going to ask that the question in question be stricken from this testimony.

I'm going to over rule it on the grounds that it might be irrelevant to this case but might make a good TV sitcom pilot.
11-21-01 03:44 PM
nankerphelge As Wilford Brimley said in The Firm "I get paid to worry about things that no one worries about" -- The good Cardinal's musing about someone who had something to say, but that wouldn't say it just struck me as funny. Conjured up all sorts of images. I am reminded of an episode of Cheers where Sam was dating the "hummer" -- when asked why she was called the hummer, he replied "because she can't whistle while she works" -- my vivid imagination thought perhaps someone had an opinion but could not respond for similarly understandable (and laudable) reasons.

would make for an interesting sitcom -- for HBO of course...maybe while watching the 3 stooges...
11-21-01 04:07 PM
Joey I don't know about all of that , but it is so slow at work today that I am humming tunes by the " Pet Shop Boys . "

Now THAT is sitcom fodder !!!

Damn Straight My Stonesian Kin .

" May the good Lord , Shine a light on you .......Ronnie "

Joey , C10

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.