ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Enjoy your Sweet Lord while our guitars gently weep!

Rest in Peace - George Harrison
Liverpool February 24, 1943 - Los Ángeles November 29, 2001

By Jeff Christensen (Reuters)
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Jones Guitar work. Return to archive
11-17-01 06:32 PM
Mother baby Guitar???
11-17-01 06:38 PM
Mother baby del
[Edited by Mother baby]
11-18-01 07:56 AM
Mother baby The reason I brought this up is that maybe someone can help me out a little or tell me where to go looking.
Someone gave me a tape about a week or so ago and I've finally just had a chance to listen to it in the last couple of days. It's all covers that the Stones did, I guess probably around 63. Would I be wrong to assume that Brian played lead guitar on most of those songs? I can kind of tell but can't be ABSOLUTEY certain as theres no credits given on the liner...just who wrote the songs.
However one is credited to NANKER (Now Iv'e Got A Witness)
and one credited to N. Phelge and P. Spector (Little By Little). Now Nanker is a publishing company correct? So who actually wrote the song.
Anyway its got Route 66, I just want to make love to you, Honest I Do, Carol, I'm a King Bee,walking The Dog and several others ...the only Jagger/Richards credit is Tell Me. Anyway Brian on lead on most of those????
11-18-01 07:00 PM
Gazza nanker phelge is also a band songwriting pseudonym
11-18-01 07:07 PM
st0nesfan Sounds like their first album "England's Newest Hitmakers" and I believe Brian is on lead for most of it. However I was always told that Keef did the lead for "I'm a King Bee." If I am wrong them I am sure someone will correct me. :-)
[Edited by st0nesfan]
11-19-01 02:57 AM
Taras In 1963 - 1964 Brian played harp (I just wonna make love to you; Honest I do, Not Fade Away, I'm king bee, Now I've got a witness (Like uncle Phil "Spector" and uncle
Gene "Pitney"), guitar (rhythme guitar on Route 66; bottle solo on I'm king bee -I only know what Brian played on these two songs.
You know, Brian and Kerth never shared the parts like -
you have play that and I'll play that. No, Brian played rhythme parts the guitar but he could played some lead parts in time when Keith played rhythme - that it is

Sincerely,
Taras Stanislaus
11-19-01 07:37 AM
robbluedog Yeah it sounds like the first album 'Englands Newest Hitmakers'.

As a rule Keith plays the Chuck Berry bits - that is the lead to 'Route 66' ,'Carol' and 'Walking the dog'. He also played the acoustic 12 string stuff ie 'Not fade away' and 'Tell me'. Brian played the slide as in 'King Bee' while on 'Just wanna make love to you' Keith plays the guitar part while Brian played the harp.

As for the Jimmy Reed lead licks on 'Honest I do' and 'Little by little' I assume it's Keith with Brian in the supporting role playing the interlocking licks. They practiced together for about 4 hours a day for the first couple of years so they absorbed each others styles. Makes it kind of hard to differentiate their roles.

'Nanker Phelge' was the early psuedonym for an original group composition as opposed to a Jagger/Richard composition which tended to be used for other artists. In any case 'Little by little' is just a rewrite of Jimmy Reeds 'Shame shame shame'. Check out Jimmy Reed and you'll hear what I mean. You'll also hear where they got their early guitar weaving style from.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.