ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Enjoy your Sweet Lord while our guitars gently weep!

Rest in Peace - George Harrison
Liverpool February 24, 1943 - Los Ángeles November 29, 2001

By Jeff Christensen (Reuters)
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick is nuts Return to archive
11-16-01 08:30 AM
nankerphelge I caught the end of an interview with Mick on ABC last night. Personally, I think he's gone around the bend.

Not that he has ever been much for interviews -- but he was just ridiculous. And I have trouble with a guy that uses his own production company to produce an infomercial on himself to show how off the beaten path his lifestyle is.

This guy's ego is so out of control he doesn't even realize what an asshole he's become. Or, if he does, he somehow thinks it works for him. It is pathetic really. Don't know who is doing his PR.

I am quite concerned about the impact on the band. I find this whole solo/being Mick/no Stones release stuff very troublesome. I had hoped that he would have gotten this shit out of his system and then embraced the Stones again, but I think we are getting a very good glimpse at a guy that has lost it -- maybe the break-up with Jerry ate him up -- I noticed he wouldn't answer the question of whether he has ever been in love and then kept mocking the interviewer for asking.

Anyhow, that's my take on it -- the king has no clothes on!

11-16-01 10:43 AM
Joey I did not see the interview , but I hope he has not gone off the deep end .

Mick Jagger needs the Stones ...and he knows it . I just hope this album does OK in the sales dept -- not great , but not lousy either -- that way he will stay the course with the boys .

11-16-01 10:52 AM
Cardinal Ximinez I blame the interviewer. Elisabeth Vargas asked hack reporter questions. But then again, what do you expect from a watered down, network, human interest, news magazine show. Primetime Live is nothing more than, "The National Enquirerer" on network TV. And Mick had to follow the last voice transmissions from United 93, that crashed not too far from me. Talk about going from heavy to fluff! And that's exactly what that bit on Mick was....fluff. How could it make him look anything other that silly? They turned his Mickness into a friggin' cartoon...and I hate them for it.
11-16-01 10:58 AM
nankerphelge Who's to say really -- but we've all seen plenty of Mick interviews and I believe this one was a bit odd. From the part I saw he really seemed more detached than I would have expected and the whole "I love Me" thing of Being Mick makes me nauseated.

By the way I'm starting filming on "Being Nank" -- it will chronicle the wacky exploits of a DC area attorney -- from his humble upbringing in upstate New York, through his experimenting phase of his early 20s at engineering school, through his creative phase of the late 1980s where, rumor has it, he bedded several farm animals and mixed beer and wine routinely, and finally the legal years where, in the face of tough scrutiny by many state bars, he maintained an unhealthy chiba habit and swore alot.

In one scene, he blows off his wife and kids for a wild romp in Cleveland marked by the raiding of his hotel minibar and getting high at a backyard fire. In another scene we are treated to a glimpse into his daily life -- up at 6:00 am -- an hour-long commute - hitting the office hard with coffee in hand, researching riveting issue of law like the attorney-client privilege and the doctrine of equivalents -- the wild lunch-time antics of having a beer and then returning to work -- and home by 9:00 pm to drink wine and fall asleep on the couch. That's some fine TV.

Is that too presumptuous?
11-16-01 11:09 AM
Cardinal Fang Hello Everybody!

This is what I posted somewhere last night. But before I lay it on you, Nanker brought up a good point that I was too tired or too baked to comment on and that was the Mick refusing to answer the question and THEN MOCKING the interviewer. What was that all about? It looked weird to me. Either it was weird, OR maybe ABC edited it out of context? Anyway, here's my initial take on it from last night reposted by permission of The Vatican. All rights rewhatever. Blah Blah Blah etc. (Ready?)

It was basically a tease for the upcoming Being Mick next week. The whole piece was about nine minutes, mostly clips from next weeks special. The actual interview was the normal fluff. Style over substance. What did we learn?

He loves to shock people.

He's a wild man on stage, doting father at home.

Likes to date younger women.

Has dated older women, but not recently.

Daughter Jade doesn't want him bringing girls younger than she to her house.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........

I realize this is only a warm up for next weeks Being Mick. Not a lot of substance, nor did I expect much so I wasn't really disapointed. Some people are going to like it largely because it's the first major Stones related item that we've seen in two and half years. (MSG Benefit withstanding) I expect to get flamed for this but it had VERY LITTLE to do with MUSIC of any kind. About 30 seconds of the 9 minutes was music. It was the usual "sex symbol, drugs and oh, by the way he's got an album coming out too" Sort of deal. If you're a girl (or SDH) and gaga over Mick, I suspect you will have liked it. However for those of us who are NOT sexually attracted to Mick/The Stones and like THE MUSIC (and there are many of us) You didn't really miss much. Not the end of the world though. Like I said, I like Mick/The Stones for their MUSIC. The best part for me was the very last line of the piece where the interviewer asked something to the effect of, "You once said you would retire before middle age for fear of becoming a parody of themselves" he answered, "Is that what I said? God, they drag these things up on the internet to haunt you forever" Then asked if we should restate that for now Mick replied, "Yeah, forget all that stuff, I never said that, rubbish".

Funny thing is, I have that interview where he DID say that.

You also got to see Mick is NOT the only picker in his household. You got to see his son doing some SERIOUS full on picking of his nose. You know, second knuckle type shit. I guess he was showing Daddy that he too "Digs the BOOGIE" : - )

Now THAT'S "Must See TV".

Like I said, don't lose any sleep. Hopefully next week's show, for something that is being advertised as "in depth", will have a little bit more substance.

OK, I'm back now. You've all been WONDERFUL! THANK YOU VERY MUCH, GOODNIGHT!

11-16-01 11:14 AM
Happy Motherfucker Here we go again. Mick bashing at it's best. Do you people not have anything better to do then to log on to a pro-stones message board and post negitive bull shit! Lets look at it like this. Be glad that Mick is on prime time tv and still relivent in todays glitized over pop world and not on the back burner of some off the wall show that nobody and I mean nobody would pay attention to. The interview being great or important is'nt the point here. The point is, he is still able to capture the publics imagination and a serious artist in todays music business. I'll say it again and everytime that I see any bashing of any of the boys here. If you don't the stones good enough that you must feel like throwing negitivity into this pro-stones site, then fuck off and go to a Insane Clown Posse site for Christ sake!
11-16-01 11:20 AM
Cardinal Fang I guess you told us.

Happy Motherfucker said "The interview being great or important isn't the point here."

Uhm, YES, IT IS. That's what we're talking about in this thread.

Also, this is not a "pro" Stones site (or a "con" site) This is a Stones website to discuss Stones matters. Good or Bad. Don't be so threatend by this. If you want to just gush about everything, then go to www.mickjagger.com. We are adults here, and can agree to disagree.

Also, cut the tough talk, it's more hysterical then menacing. You are new here so I'll cut you some slack this time.

Just cause you didn't like something Stones related, doesn't make you any less of a fan. Nor does liking every SINGLE thing Stones related make you any more of one. For someone who's supposedly "Happy", you need to mellow out. You don't have to read everything. It's an opinion. Deal with it.
[Edited by Cardinal Fang]
[Edited by Cardinal Fang]
11-16-01 11:47 AM
Happy Motherfucker Yeah,I'm happy,happy The Stones are still here with us. I've been a Stones fan since I was 5 years old (that was about 30 years ago) and I hate to see people that claim to be such devoted fans, but everytime you turn around there is always something that they say that reafirms that they don't have a clue what is going on. I've seen it and been there before. A long time deadhead, I use to hear the same shit from heads on tour that the band did'nt have it anymore or that Jerry sucked. While it is true that things where not always great, I never took them for granted. After Jerry died it was those same bashers crying the blues wishing they could have just on more show. So my point being, that there is nothing wrong with having your opinion, good or bad about The Stones, but just don't make the mistake of bitting the hand that feeds you. Consider what the alternetive will be When The Stones are no more. Yes I'm a Happy Motherfucker!
11-16-01 01:35 PM
Maxlugar I didn't see the interview so I don't know.

But I can tell you this: The Stones are doing some very
un-Stonesical things lately that are making feel the end
is near.

1) This whole primetime Mick interview/Being Mick show.
This type of thing is not their thing. Let alone Holiday
Thanksgiving special. Gives me the creeps. Seem more a
thing for Celine Dionne. What's next? Keith Richards on ice?
2) Calling the next tour a 40th anniversary tour. Or even
giving a shit about such a milestone. If they did care about
such nostalgia, they used to never say so.

Not to mention the fact that a new album is not a given before the tour.

Seems the times, they are a changing. But not all of me thinks
its a bad thing. Like Happy Motherfucker seems to be saying,
we should hold on to these times. These are 60 year old men.
And his point about the Dead is so true. My best friend was such
a Dead head it was scary. To him without his band was sad, especially
in the beginning. So its nice to see them no matter what, ya know?

Maxy is torn.
11-16-01 02:52 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Well folks, Cardinal X is a huge fan, and I love the hell out of Mick Jagger. But what is happening here is fucking retarded. Mick has every right to do whatever tha hell he wants, he's earned it, but I, and others have every right to think what he's doing now stinks to high heaven! I am a realist. I always have been. I love the Stones, but I'm not afraid to say that some of their work sucks. In fact, I still to this day deny that the Stones did Emotional Rescue. It was someone else pretending to be the Stones. It wasn't MY Rolling Stones that did that. Just like last night, that wasn't MY Mick Jagger being a cartoon. MY Mick Jagger whips the stage with his belt during Midnight Rambler. My Mick Jagger writes songs like "Some Girls", and "Monkey Man", not the 2nd rate fluff that he's trying to pass off as relevant now. What troubles me the most is that I KNOW that he can do better, yet he seems to be willing to just SETTLE with this panty-waist drivel.

Happy MF, I glad you like this stuff. I'm glad that you want to stick up for Mick. My boy has a big sandbox in the backyard, you are welcome to bury your head in it anytime.
11-16-01 05:33 PM
marko Haaaa!damn finish beer is good!
11-16-01 10:00 PM
~AzQb

Is that too presumptuous?
[/quote]

Nah, that was just me mate nankerphelge, divulging his deepest desires for all the cyberkineticworld to see ; )

Great T.V. Fucking great. You'd have us in our MaxyLoungers,so many deliciousdrinks at the side, Let It Bleed cranked mightily :sigh {picture on, though, you know ; )

~A
11-17-01 08:40 AM
Mother baby Sorry I missed it. But since it was a major network production, taking it all that seriously to me would be a waste of time. Unless of course I actually heard what Mick said and try to decipher it later... that'd probably be good for a few laughs.
11-17-01 02:39 PM
The Eggman I think this album will do better then any other Mick Jagger solo record , cus it just sounds , like the MTV crownd is at his throat, in which isnt a bad thing

I mean how many people here can say there Dads are going be on MTV round the clock?
11-17-01 02:40 PM
The Eggman i predict at least 1 millon copies sold
11-17-01 03:04 PM
Mother baby Geezz, doesn't that sound familiar.
11-17-01 03:05 PM
Mother baby Mick's Mick. Stones are Stones
(Bad Word Deleted) MTV.....
[Edited by Mother baby]
11-17-01 03:39 PM
Mother baby Mick has gone absolutley nuts if he ever thought Diane Boreyou had anything to do with journalism. SHE'S LIKE A LINDA MCcARTNEY WITH A PEN. All ink no film.
11-17-01 03:42 PM
The Eggman If they want to tour, then they need MTV, sorry, thats the way it is now
11-17-01 04:28 PM
Mother baby "delete"
[Edited by Mother baby]
11-17-01 06:07 PM
Gazza >Mick has gone absolutley nuts if he ever thought Diane Boreyou had anything to do with journalism. SHE'S LIKE A LINDA MCcARTNEY WITH A PEN

Mick shagged Linda McCartney before she met Paul - maybe that was his motivation!!
11-19-01 12:56 PM
Ned Kelly They say that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
11-19-01 02:51 PM
Joey I like eggs ........hard boiled , soft , scrambled .....it does not matter .....I like them .

11-19-01 10:43 PM
~AzQb

Yeah, and "ah'm gonna haveta stand my ground like Crockett at the Alamo...."

I'm witchu, my 'lil Pikachu ; )

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.