ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Punch Cartoon Library
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Motley Crue/Aerosmith review Return to archive
23rd November 2006 12:36 PM
mrhipfl Some of my buddies and I went to See Aerosmith and the Crue last night at the Ford Amphitheatre in Tampa. It was a considerably small outdoor venue. I'm guessing it holds around 7-10 thousand people, a great venue for a rock concert.

Motley crue came on at around 7:40. Let me tell you, they completely sucked! You remember when you were a little kid, and you saw some light flashing? It seems interesting at first, but gets boring fast. That's what I felt like while watching the crue. It was a very Kiss-like show, with lots of fireworks, lights, and half-naked girls. Neil was losing his voice throughout the show. The rest of the band wasn't very good either. I was dissappointed by the guitar player. I heard some of their 80s live stuff and his playing was impressive, but last night he just used random gimmicks like playing with feedback, pick slides, etc. The sound was also muddy and quiet. The crowd was quiet during their set as well. Lee and Neil kept trying to pump us up, but it wasn't working. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Aerosmith came on at around 9:30 and from the very beginning, it was like I was at a stones show. They started out with an intro video, like the stones, which got the crowd pumped up. They started out with a great "Toys in the attic." The crowd was loud and sang along. No glitter jacket on Tyler, he has a great sense of style with tight, provacative leather pants and a shirt. Aerosmith sounded louder and clearer than the crue. There were no real backup musicians. There was the band and a keyboardist that sometimes sang some backup. Perry also sang some back-up, just like Keith. Tyler's voice was great, and Perry was smoking. Tyler's energy was just like Micks during the BTB era. The second song was "eat the rich." "cryin" was next, and it was done well. Tyler showed his skills on the harmonica. after that came a second power ballad, "what it takes." I think it was during this song that Tyler randomly kissed a girl in the audience.

Then came the highlight: "baby please don't go." It was an extended jam and at one point Tyler got onto his knees and started screaming and playing his harp. It was just like the boston strangler part during MR on ladies and gentlemen. It was sweet. After that was another blues, "stop messin' around." Perry was on vocals for this song, while Tyler was playing the harp. This was extended also.

The next songs were seasons of wither, dream on, devil's got a new disguise, sweet emotion, draw the line, and walk this way for an encore. All of the songs were excellent. They had an amazing energy level.

So who was better? The stones in Switzerland, or Aerosmith last night? I think they were pretty much the same. Aerosmith were more rock n' roll and had more attitude than the stones, and they were tighter, but they are like 8 years younger. The Stones BTB era would be better than Aerosmith now.I wonder how they'll be when they reach the stones' age?
23rd November 2006 01:17 PM
Jakeb206 I saw the Crue on the REd White and Crue tour last year, and it was an amazing show! I have also seen aerosmith which was an even better show. I would have thought that these 2 groups together would flatten the earth, but I guess not. The Crue has been getting lackluster reviews all year. Probabaly too much touring. Oh Well
Great review though
23rd November 2006 04:14 PM
danielharris627 Awesome, thanks for the review.
Yeah I saw crue last year too, in the uk. Great show.
Everyone says they have sucked with aerosmith :P
23rd November 2006 10:55 PM
lotsajizz Great review--I saw the twin bill back in Mass. in Sept.....the Crue sucked as expected and Aerosmith rocked with an energy that many Stones fans feel embarassed about....
24th November 2006 01:11 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Great review--I saw the twin bill back in Mass. in Sept.....the Crue sucked as expected and Aerosmith rocked with an energy that many Stones fans feel embarassed about....

Yes! It's easy to tell which band is younger.
24th November 2006 08:53 PM
mechanimals That's how this whole tour has been - cheers for steven, jeerz for vince.

25th November 2006 06:01 PM
padre What's the best pro shot Aero-dvd out there?
I read that You Gotta Move was edited to shreds (although it would've had a great setlist). I've got their Philadelphia show from the Pump tour (great era), but the sound is too dry. The best one I've seen so far is the Woodstock-99 set, but then again someone complained that it wasn't one of their best performances....
So if I had only one Aerosmith lve dvd on my shelf, which one should it be?
25th November 2006 06:31 PM
Dan
quote:
padre wrote:
What's the best pro shot Aero-dvd out there?
I read that You Gotta Move was edited to shreds (although it would've had a great setlist). I've got their Philadelphia show from the Pump tour (great era), but the sound is too dry. The best one I've seen so far is the Woodstock-99 set, but then again someone complained that it wasn't one of their best performances....

Woodstock is actually better performance wise than most of the tour.

If I had to pick just one, it would be the recent 4 Reels release of Oakland 7/21/79 (newly surfaced) and the same 2 Houston '77 shows that have been around the last 20 years. Oakland is awesome, a daylight stadium show out of the BGP archives. Totally raw. Its mostly a single onstage camera that occassionally switches over to full stage view from the rear of the floor. It was a week before Joe Perry quit and they play songs off Night In The Ruts which had yet to be released including the only video I have seen of "Think About It." A few think this gig is too rough but I love it.

Others might be Osaka 12/31/99, Largo 1/25/80 (no Perry though but a lot of NITR material), Houston '88 and Chicago 12/6/94 where they play a bit longer than usual for that tour.

25th November 2006 06:59 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
padre wrote:
What's the best pro shot Aero-dvd out there?
I read that You Gotta Move was edited to shreds (although it would've had a great setlist....

Knuckle under and skip past the edits---'You Gotta Move' is the best out there....super performance and 3/4 of the songs are untouched.

27th November 2006 02:58 AM
padre I think I'll have a go with You Gotta Move. On the ol' vhs I've got from Texxas Jam Steven seems to tired and stoned, that I'd rather have 90's or 00's gig than that era.
The Osaka 1999 setlist looked awesome with Let The Music Do The Talking, One Way Street and Chip Away The Stone. Is it as good as it seems to be?
27th November 2006 03:09 AM
TrevorHobley Thanks for that review, mrwhipple.
No disrespect to Mick or anything, but Steve is one of the greatest frontmen ever!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)