ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Punch Cartoon Library
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Drive-By Truckers - St. Louis - Oct. 25, 2006 Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th November 2006 08:23 AM
Barney Fife I tell ya what, guitar rock ain’t dead! My brother spent the summer in New York City and said that there is no guitar-based rock scene there, but who the hell cares about NYC anyway? Rap ain’t music because it lacks melody! The Drive-by Truckers put on a great show last night at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. It was my first time seeing that band and I want to thank their fans on the Hank III board (http://64.247.23.87/phpBB2/index.php) for turning me on to them! Over 500 enthusiastic fans were in the audience to hear this fun bad.

In case you don’t know about them, it’s a drummer, female bass player, three guys on guitar (look out Lynyrd Skynyrd!) and a pedal steel guitar player for an added country tinge. They played for an hour and 32 minutes, took a few minutes break and then came back for an encore that was more than a half hour. The opening band was The Drams from Denton, TX and tickets were $19. I’m sold. I’ll go back and see them again.
14th November 2006 09:23 AM
Sir Stonesalot I've seen DBT twice in the past few months. Both shows clocked in at over 3 hours. Those 3 hours seemed like 20 minutes.

What a band. They have a three guitar attack that gives them a huge fat live sound. All three guitar players are songwriters too. Normally, that can raise internal band problems. But these guys are huge fans of each other. They all love playing each others songs. There is no jealousy or limelight hogging. No vying to be the band "leader".

I got to hang out with them after their show in Lancaster PA. You will never meet more down to earth people. They love what they are doing, and they love each other.

Here's some pics that I took in Lancaster...

14th November 2006 10:34 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
My brother spent the summer in New York City and said that there is no guitar-based rock scene there

I'm sorry you had to find out this way that your brother spent the summer making out with sailors at gay bars
14th November 2006 10:44 AM
Fiji Joe Yeah...for those who think rock is dead, buy all their albums, go see a show and report back...one of the most underrated bands out there
14th November 2006 11:31 AM
sweetcharmedlife I saw them on Conan O'Brien a while back, doing Gravitys Gone. It stuck in my head, so I downloaded it on I Tunes. Love the song, interesting sound. I describe it as alt,blues,country rock.
14th November 2006 11:36 AM
Jumacfly Which record is the best to begin a colection guys??
14th November 2006 11:40 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
I saw them on Conan O'Brien a while back, doing Gravitys Gone. It stuck in my head, so I downloaded it on I Tunes. Love the song, interesting sound. I describe it as alt,blues,country rock.

That song is essentially a rip of Honky Tonk Women...not that there is anything wrong with that
14th November 2006 11:41 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Which record is the best to begin a colection guys??

For the beginning fan, I would recommend their latest, Blessing and a Curse...and I will add...there are some folks who just won't get it/them...they just won't...especially some of their earlier stuff
14th November 2006 11:58 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

For the beginning fan, I would recommend their latest, Blessing and a Curse...and I will add...there are some folks who just won't get it/them...they just won't...especially some of their earlier stuff

thanks Fiji..my review very soon
14th November 2006 12:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot I didn't see the Conan thing. Did they get away with the "champagne, hand jobs, and kissin' ass by everyone involved" line?

I hope they got bleeped. Getting bleeped is cool.
14th November 2006 01:50 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I didn't see the Conan thing. Did they get away with the "champagne, hand jobs, and kissin' ass by everyone involved" line?

I hope they got bleeped. Getting bleeped is cool.

They did something...but I can't remember what...I'm pretty sure they didn't say those lyrics
14th November 2006 01:55 PM
sweetcharmedlife [quote]Fiji Joe wrote:

That song is essentially a rip of Honky Tonk Women...not that there is anything wrong with that
[/quote
So that's why I liked that song. Maybe I will buy the whole album. I do like that guitar rock, kind of sound.
14th November 2006 02:03 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
sweetcharmedlife wrote:
[quote]Fiji Joe wrote:

[/quote
So that's why I liked that song. Maybe I will buy the whole album. I do like that guitar rock, kind of sound.

The album is very Stonesy in parts...also, you will hear some Faces influences too...I'm of the mind that the entuire album is derivative...that is, I believe they deliberately set out to mimic the sounds of some past groups...I hear the Stones, Faces, Marshall Tucker, REM, the DBS, and dare I say...Tommy Tutone

I recommend the album to noobs because it's a lot more hook and hit oriented than their past work...the earler stuff is pretty deep and concept oriented
14th November 2006 02:07 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
I tell ya what, guitar rock ain’t dead! My brother spent the summer in New York City and said that there is no guitar-based rock scene there, but who the hell cares about NYC anyway? Rap ain’t music because it lacks melody! The Drive-by Truckers put on a great show last night at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. It was my first time seeing that band and I want to thank their fans on the Hank III board (http://64.247.23.87/phpBB2/index.php) for turning me on to them! Over 500 enthusiastic fans were in the audience to hear this fun bad.

In case you don’t know about them, it’s a drummer, female bass player, three guys on guitar (look out Lynyrd Skynyrd!) and a pedal steel guitar player for an added country tinge. They played for an hour and 32 minutes, took a few minutes break and then came back for an encore that was more than a half hour. The opening band was The Drams from Denton, TX and tickets were $19. I’m sold. I’ll go back and see them again.

Wait a second Fife...I just noticed you went to the October 25 show...I was worried because I thought I missed another St. Louis show...I was there too...I wish I had known you were there...I would have bought you a Shirley Temple...I don't drink, or smoke and only have sex with myself...but otherwise, I'm told I'm a lot of fun
14th November 2006 03:35 PM
Maxlugar
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
...I don't drink, or smoke and only have sex with myself...but otherwise, I'm told I'm a lot of fun

I thank God everyday that the policies of George W. Bush have allowed you, the prince of boards, to live many more days than Al Gore or John Frankenkerry would have.

Thanks for being alive, Fiji.

Hail Bush!
14th November 2006 08:32 PM
MikeyC613 Turnin' mountains into oceans Puttin' people on the moon
14th November 2006 08:39 PM
Bloozehound a while back I tried getting into this DBT thing, I d/l songs, a few boots, but for some reason they just didn't grab my weiner and shake it around like all the others do...

What am I missing ?
14th November 2006 09:44 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
a while back I tried getting into this DBT thing, I d/l songs, a few boots, but for some reason they just didn't grab my weiner and shake it around like all the others do...

What am I missing ?

I think I know what your problem is....

Kansas State 45 Texas 42

14th November 2006 10:13 PM
sweetcharmedlife
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
a while back I tried getting into this DBT thing, I d/l songs, a few boots, but for some reason they just didn't grab my weiner and shake it around like all the others do...

What am I missing ?

A weiner?
14th November 2006 10:21 PM
HouseboyKnows People! This band is for real. They played a majestic version of Monnlight Mile as they were peaking at the end of their set at the TLA in Philly last month. All bow down.

House Boy Knows
14th November 2006 11:10 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I think I know what your problem is....

Kansas State 45 Texas 42

Ha

fucked up game, but pretty entertaining regardless, congrats

14th November 2006 11:21 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

What am I missing ?

I'm with ya, I just can't get into 'em either. Seen em once and they did nothing for me. Granted they were the opening band but...
15th November 2006 01:03 AM
Bloozehound Yeah, they sounded kinda soft to me, but I'm no DBT expert

Wheres the songs where they do this kinda shit, or do they just do this kinda shit for the cameras?

[Edited by Bloozehound]
15th November 2006 10:31 AM
Sir Stonesalot I don't remember what the song was when I took that pic. I don't think DBT does anything just for the cameras. They don't strike me as that type. I think they just have a natural enthusiasm for what they are doing.

I will always admire a band that walks onstage with a full bottle of Jack...and walks off the stage with the bottle empty.
15th November 2006 11:16 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Yeah, they sounded kinda soft to me, but I'm no DBT expert

Wheres the songs where they do this kinda shit, or do they just do this kinda shit for the cameras?

[Edited by Bloozehound]

I posted a rare unreleased live tune on the couch...

www.maxlugar.com message board

I never heard anyone describe them as soft...although they do do a great job with slower tunes
15th November 2006 11:44 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Hail Bush!

Son .

How's that ' Virtue - of - Clarity ' coming along ?!

Please .............. I's justs got's to's knows .

J " Snuggle to the Joe " Fly ! ™
15th November 2006 11:45 AM
Joey " I never heard anyone describe them as soft...although they do do a great job with slower tunes "

<------ Oh , ....... OH !!!! .... Lil' ......... Little ............ Oh , .... Lil' Fiji !!!!!

15th November 2006 11:52 AM
Fiji Joe Isn't it time for you to throw down on that sack lunch your mama packed?...Pudding...I hear you got pudding today

Joey?
15th November 2006 12:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't remember what the song was when I took that pic. I don't think DBT does anything just for the cameras. They don't strike me as that type. I think they just have a natural enthusiasm for what they are doing.

I've seen DBT a ton of times. And Isabell & Hood do that same exact move you captured on film (where they walk up to the edge of the stage and strike the guitar pose) during the same exact song every night.
15th November 2006 12:15 PM
Joey " Isn't it time for you to throw down on that sack lunch your mama packed?...Pudding...I hear you got pudding today"

-- "He is relentless...a relentless GENIUS!!! Long may The Joey and his keyboard live!!!", Steve Couzzo- Posting World Magazine.

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)