ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
You rule Chief!!
KeyArena, Seattle, Washington - October 30, 2005
© 2005 Chief Moon
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang on pace to sell over 3 million copies worldwide Return to archive
November 26th, 2005 09:13 PM
Poison Dart The new Rolling Stones disc A Bigger Bang which hit number one on the Global as well as European charts. As well as being #1 in several countries (Italy,Canada,Germany,Sweeden,Switzerland,Holland,Austria,Denmark,Greece,perhaps more)ABB is on pace to sell slightly more than 3 millon copies worldwide.

This according to a published report (can't find link)that I saw today.

As of today (according to the report) the record has sold over two million copies throughout the world and with the holiday push (plus the special edition ABB)the album should go over the 3 million sold mark sometime in the late first quarter of next year.

This would make A Bigger Bang a solid hit. While surely not a blockbuster it's worldwide sales are not an embarrassment either. As a matter of fact if the US sales had been stronger ABB would be considered a pretty big success.

Bottom line: Solid hit worldwide but a commerical disappointment in the US and UK after a strong debut in both of those countries.

On the other hand the tour is a massive success in the United States. The Stones can fill a stadium like nobody in the world in the US.

It's so odd that radio play and album sales in the US are weak to mediocre (the album in the US will go gold in time) but they play to stadiums of 60,000 people per night with face value tickets of up to $450. I can't figure this out.

The Stones should attack selling their next album from a different point of view. They need to play their new music more.

Perhaps a live album of their music from 1989 to 2005 would get attention for their new (and still very solid) music. Also, I would lower ticket prices and play the hell out of their new music to prove the new Stones music can still cut it in the present day.

Any thoughts?
[Edited by Poison Dart]
November 27th, 2005 12:14 AM
time is on my side One (the fact the STONES are probably the number #1 concert draw in the world - always remember their concert prices are a hell of a lot higher than U2's- at U2 prices, the scalpers would have made a bundle off this tour) has nothing to do with the other (album sales are respectable worldwide, 2 million plus on it's way to three million plus, and disappointing in US because classic rock no longer sells in large quantities in the US - the people who actually buy CD's in bulk- young people, minorities, & women, are more interested in buying music that relate to them).

It does seem to fly in the notion of common sense that an act where people are willing to unload up to $450.00 per ticket have trouble selling CD's which are priced as little as $10.00 (at least in the US). On closer inspection there may be some clues though the answers themselves remain somewhat elusive.

(1) The STONES core audience is baby boomers. Sure you can always find examples of young people attending concerts or buying classic rock CD's such as the STONES. The fact remains overall CD sales are driven by masses not exceptions & it's clear that the majority of people buying classic rock act CD's these days is baby boomers. The core demographic which drives high CD's sales in the US seems to be made up of three groups (youth, minorities, and women). Neither of these groups are interested in the STONES.

Youth- they're simply not interested in an act that's over fourty years old (more interested in groups that they perceive as relating to their own age group or generation - acts such as Coldplay, Greenday, and Radiohead if their interested in the Rock format or they've left Rock behind altogether & have embraced Rap/Hip-Hop instead).

Minorities- It's clear the African-American record buying public does not like rock. They hate it and look upon it as white man's music only. When buying music, they're strictly buying Rap/Hip-Hop.

Women- Whose buying Rod Stewart All American CD's??? Whose buying Kelly Clarkston CD's??? Whose buying Mariah Carey's CD's??? What group is always talking about the voice of the artist with little regard for the content or quality?? Women and women of all ages. Sure you can always find exceptions or examples of women that don't fit into this generalization. Again, high CD sales are driven by masses not exceptions.

(2) Who are the people buying these $450.00 STONES tickets??? Two of the groups mentioned (youth & minorities) just happen to be the least likely to afford high priced concert tickets. The third, women, are likely to buy only for the VOICE or what they perceive to be THE VOICE. The group that does buy $450.OO STONES tickets is the baby boomers. The baby boomers are the ones that caused ABB to be at #3 when it was first released. Remember not every ticket is at $450.00 (only a small percentage of overall sales are actually priced that high). The Baby Boomers buying the $450.00 tickets have either purchased the CD or downloaded it. They have the music. They can afford $450.00 tickets; they've also got the music. THEY'VE GOT TO HAVE EVERYTHING (they're the same ones buying the high priced classic rock box sets). It's what's causing the confusion. The ones attending the STONES shows & not buying the music are the ones buying the LESSER PRICED tickets. Baby Boomers buying these lesser prices tickets simply don't buy or purchase music as often as they used to. They've lost interest. They'll buy a greatest hit's collection but they won't buy the newest release. They don't buy in bulk like they used to. The baby boomers buying in bulk are the ones most likely to be buying the $450.00 (for those on the board, I'm again speaking of overall numbers - you can always point out exceptions to the general rule- again exceptions have little to do with overall numbers).

[Edited by time is on my side]
November 27th, 2005 12:53 AM
mrt i see what you mean.when i was 20 in 1982 i sure was not listening to a group that had being around for 40 years.the baby boomers are a big group compared todays youth.it is too bad more concertgoers aren't buying a bigger bang.my 9 year old likes a few stones songs. i guess there is hope.
November 27th, 2005 11:44 AM
Poison Dart I'd like to see the Stones push the new stuff as much as possible. They are still a massive act. There has to be a way to get their music heard and sell more cd's in the US.

Why are the Stones cd sales (#1 on global chart)still very solid around the world but just mediocre in the US. The key to future sales of new music is to be found in those marektplaces.

The suits must figure out why the ABB is a solid hit around the world (where the Stones are not on tour) but not doing as well here.

Do younger people around the world buy Stones records (perhaps people in other countries have more respect for their elders?)more than in the US?

If I were trying to sell new Stones records this is where I'd be looking. It seems young people (or people in general) had no problem buying 40 licks.
November 27th, 2005 12:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Why are the Stones cd sales (#1 on global chart)still very solid around the world but just mediocre in the US. The key to future sales of new music is to be found in those marektplaces.

Because the rest of the world is not contaminated with the current american shit music.
- Mariah Carey's last album sold 4.6 million worldwide, 3.9 million in the States.
- Kanye West has sold 2.3 million worldwide, 1.6 million in the States.

quote:
The suits must figure out why the ABB is a solid hit around the world (where the Stones are not on tour) but not doing as well here.

The Stones audience outside of the States is more young. I bought tickets for the shows here in Argentina and the whole box office was full of 15-30 years old people.
A group of 6-7 teen girls (14-15 years old) was in front of me.

quote:
If I were trying to sell new Stones records this is where I'd be looking. It seems young people (or people in general) had no problem buying 40 licks.

40 Licks was a nice collection, for all the ages.
November 27th, 2005 01:33 PM
RollingstonesUSA It seems to mean, that the bands who know how to make music from from other countries, than the u.s., I think the music here sucks except for a couple of bands, Aerosmith, KISS, Audioslave, motley crue, etc.
November 27th, 2005 02:42 PM
the good Why haven't the Stones sold more records in the States? I think the question may be based on a false premise: namely, that the Stones have always sold a ton of records in the States. While they have always sold very well here, only three of their releases (some girls, tatoo you, and Hot Rocks) have put up huge numbers. A number of their other releases never sold a million copies here. But for the sake of argument, let's assume there is something wrong with sales in America this time around. I think that 95% of it can be explained by the bands age. America is a country that loves new things, and while the Stones may be the greatest rock and roll band of all time, they are not percieved by anyone here as being the wave of the future. This does not imply a lack of respect for the Stones inside of the American music industry; in fact, I remember hearing one insider comment that everybody is looking for the next Rolling Stones. This comment, while meant as a complement, reveals something of the dilemma faced by the Stones in the youth oriented American music industry: namely, that if everyone is looking for the heirs to their throne, there is probably some implicit understanding that the king is already dead. For die-hards like ourselves, the question is, of course, can they be resurrected as part of the American music scene? The Stones may say they have offered us A Bigger Bang with this release, but I don't see it happening , at least this time around.
November 27th, 2005 04:14 PM
Poison Dart But still sales for ABB should be higher
November 27th, 2005 04:44 PM
72Tele Maybe it's not very good.
November 27th, 2005 05:36 PM
Poison Dart It's more than good enough to sell better in the US. If it was so bad it wouldn't have sold as well as it has in the rest of the world.
November 27th, 2005 06:47 PM
the good
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
But still sales for ABB should be higher

But why do you think they should be higher? I mean, its a good record. But a lot of good records never generate huge sales. I say be content, Poison Dart, that the Stones are still selling fairly well 40+ years after their inception in a country that is obsessed with youth, looks, and music downloading.
November 27th, 2005 06:48 PM
Poison Dart I saw where Billboard hasa certified ABB platinum (sales of over 1 million in the United States)

Does this mean they project the album to sell these many copies or the album has already sold this number?

Or could it mean that it has shipped 1 million copies. Thus the 1 million sold is the number ABB has sold directly to people/stores who are going to sell the record?
November 27th, 2005 07:03 PM
quackenbush Why didn't they give the album away at the concert venue like Prince? That would have turned it into a massive hit.
November 27th, 2005 07:57 PM
Poison Dart I think you are refering to when Prince gave a copy of the record to everyone who bought a concert ticket.

That practice is no longer allowed.

I do think they should sell the cd at their concerts if that is allowed.
November 27th, 2005 08:55 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Or could it mean that it has shipped 1 million copies.

Yep. It shipped 1 m. but it sold 360k. The album is WAY over certified (the same Live licks)
November 27th, 2005 09:07 PM
time is on my side To either Soldatti or Poison Dart

Just curious- what is the actual worldwide sales at this point in TIME??? Has it gone over 2 million yet???
November 27th, 2005 09:17 PM
Soldatti
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
To either Soldatti or Poison Dart

Just curious- what is the actual worldwide sales at this point in TIME??? Has it gone over 2 million yet???

It passed the 2 million mark this week.
November 28th, 2005 12:19 AM
Promo According to a press release, more than 450,000 tickets were sold in the first two weeks for the Stones current U.S. tour.

November 28th, 2005 04:15 AM
Mathijs It's also a simple fact that while we hard core Stones fans consider the Stones the biggest band of all bands, in real live they certainly aren't anymore. They don't play 60.000 capacity stadiums that often anymore (not like four times Shea stadium as in 1989), and 435.000 tickets sold for this tour can seem a lot, it's not much for Stones standards, and for "big bands" standard. Robbie Williams sold 1.5 million tickets in one day last week for his upcoming European tour for example. The Stones are now a Vegas act, touring arenas (instead of big stadiums) for as much money as they can.

Mathijs
November 28th, 2005 06:46 AM
blackandblue
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
It seems to mean, that the bands who know how to make music from from other countries, than the u.s., I think the music here sucks except for a couple of bands, Aerosmith, KISS, Audioslave, motley crue, etc.

You are exactly giving the wrong examples.
November 28th, 2005 10:32 AM
time is on my side
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
It's also a simple fact that while we hard core Stones fans consider the Stones the biggest band of all bands, in real live they certainly aren't anymore. They don't play 60.000 capacity stadiums that often anymore (not like four times Shea stadium as in 1989), and 435.000 tickets sold for this tour can seem a lot, it's not much for Stones standards, and for "big bands" standard. Robbie Williams sold 1.5 million tickets in one day last week for his upcoming European tour for example. The Stones are now a Vegas act, touring arenas (instead of big stadiums) for as much money as they can.

Mathijs

Quite a few inaccuracies in this statement. So where does one begin???

First of all the STONES actually did do a number of stadium shows when the weather was warmer and the business to these stadiums shows went quite well.

The reason Robbie Williams doesn't charge $450.00 a ticket here in the U.S. has nothing to do with any pure love of music. He can't. If he could, he would. He would definitely try to make as much money as the STONES. The market simply wouldn't sustain those type of prices for his act. Sure Robbie William's disappointed. Such is life. Life can be tough at times. This has nothing to do with being a hard core STONES fan. How many sold out stadiums do you think Robbie Williams would have here in the States???? Is he doing four nights at Shea????

Also, I thought you knew the STONES were touring the States and not Europe. Probably nobody but you thinks Robbie Williams is a bigger concert draw worldwide than the STONES. When the STONES do play Europe, didn't you know that they'll be playing stadiums and not arenas???? I'm surprised that I have to point this out to you.
November 28th, 2005 11:01 AM
time is on my side It's fair to state Robbie William's strongest base is in Europe. Interesting to note that A Bigger Bang, the STONES latest release, had very strong sales in Europe outside of Great Britian and was number #1 in about as many countries as Robbie Williams latest. It's my understanding Robbie Williams latest album, unlike ABB, received mixed reviews from the critics.

While it's true that Robbie William's European shows did very well with MOST selling out, there is some things you failed to point out. These are the shows that so far have NOT sold out: second shows at Hamburg, Munich, Dresden, and both shows at Berlin. The only shows in Hungary and Italy still have tickets available. Also, what exactly is the price of these tickets????
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)