ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
You rule Chief!!
KeyArena, Seattle, Washington - October 30, 2005
© 2005 Chief Moon
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aussie Tour News !! Return to archive
November 26th, 2005 05:47 PM
Daethgod in Melb Sunday Paper

looks like ppromoters are scouting out stadiums for a 2 week slot in April
reporter said the Stones stadium stage is 65m long - too long for Rod Laver.
There are probs with Telstra Dome too as Footy will be on ...
maybe that 'only shows in Sydney' rumour is true ?
I thought we were getting arena tour as teh stadium show is too big to lug around the globe ...?

any other Aussies got any juice ?

November 26th, 2005 05:52 PM
Daethgod heres the story :

Stones Bang on
By FIONA BYRNE
27nov05

ROCK granddaddies The Rolling Stones are expected to hit the Australian stage in April.

Sources say preliminary calls were made this week to stadium organisers in Melbourne checking possible show dates.

The Stones' record company, Virgin, said in July that Australia would be part of the group's "Bigger Bang" world tour.

Impresario Paul Dainty is known to be in talks to bring the band back to Melbourne.

An April tour would mark 40 years since the band first rocked Australia. They first played Melbourne in January 1965.

Their last visit was in 2003 when their 40 Licks show, essentially a greatest hits set, sold out three nights at Rod Laver Arena.

Their "Bigger Bang" show, with a 65m-wide stage, is too big for Rod Laver Arena.

Telstra Dome would accommodate the show but an April tour date would conflict with AFL macthes.

The Stones schedule has a two-week window for Australia.

U2 is confirmed to play Telstra Dome on March 24.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17375926%255E27258,00.html

November 27th, 2005 07:12 AM
corgi37 Well, the Sydney only rumour MUST be false if they are scoping out the availability of venues in Melbourne. Glad its the stadium show. I want my wife to be blown away by the spectacle. Maybe Olympic Park is available? But really, they couldnt pick a worse time to tour.

Playing Sydney only would be disastrous. Missing out on combined populations of Brissy & Melb of about 4.5-5 million people. A 2 week window doesnt leave much time, does it? Plus, with U2, Commonwealth Games, maybe even Macca. Not forgetting footy memberships. It's not a good time to do it. Hopefully, Stones tix go on sale soon. U2 tix go on sale next Monday. Get those out of the way, and release the Stones tix in time for Xmas.

And, if tix are in the $400 range, the press will have a field day, since U2's top prices are $199.00.

November 27th, 2005 08:38 AM
exile Im just glad they are coming out here.
November 27th, 2005 11:12 PM
corgi37 I'll only truly believe it when i am walking out of the venue, after 2 hours of musical bliss with my eyes burned out and my ears bleeding.
November 28th, 2005 01:40 AM
Daethgod man they gotta announce soon !
no idea where they will play in Melb ..

bring it on Stonesys !

im with you corgs, i wont believe it until i am in Row 2 looking at Mick as he struts his chicken dance as teh band swings into Start Me Up ...
November 28th, 2005 05:35 AM
corgi37 Choice of venue is going to be very interesting. Mind you guys, i am not 100% convinced they will do a stadium tour. I think it might be "up in the air" as to what they do. Lack of stadiums might prevent the larger stage, and mean they do about 2 shows in each east coast state. Being honest, i think they'll struggle to sell 3 shows in Melbourne again, particularly if they are astronomically priced.

If we have a 2 week window, we have their arrival. Press conference maybe the next day, maybe day later. Couple of days off to acclimatise, Then maybe just 1 night in Brissy. Rest. 1 night in Sydney. Rest. 2nd night. Rest. To Melb. Day off (maybe keys to the city again!). 1 show, rest. 2nd show, piss off outta here. Thats for arena shows. Rod Laver here in Melb.

For stadium, it gets really dicey, as football is on. MCG i would say would be a no goer. Wouldnt be allowed. Telstra Dome too. Teams train there, and a game is played there Friday, sat and Sun. I am not sure of next years footy roster, so there could be a remote chance one of the stadium sized venues is free. MCG is not being used to much, and being start of the year, there could be mainly interstate games. Like i said, maybe Oylmpic Park can be used. I cant think anywhere else. The Showgrounds are getting renovated. Sydney i guess they could play the SCG or Telstra Stadium, depending on the Rugby fixture.

I feel there are so many factors at play. Timing is everything, but i always assumed an arena tour would be more profitable, considering fuel prices. Then again, a stadium tour, of 1 show per city -and that is all they would do. Cannot see them doing 2 huge gigs per city - no one would go and again, the venue problem rears its head - would probably be more profitable. 1 stadium show (50,000) is equal to nearly 4 arena shows here in Melb (using Telstra and Rod Laver comparisons). Also, they only bought the small set here last time. Maybe they figure they need to go all out to get the punters to part with $400. Pretty hard to justify to some people (not me mind you) that forking over so much dosh just to hear 3-4 new songs is going to be worth it, unless the show is spectacular.

And, lets face it. We need a spectacle. Last big tour was Robbie Williams. The Stones need to come here with all the bells and whistles to blow people's minds.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)