ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
You rule Chief!!
KeyArena, Seattle, Washington - October 30, 2005
© 2005 Chief Moon
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any Rock Fanatics Here Losing Their Hearing? Return to archive
November 26th, 2005 12:01 AM
Highwire Rob I SAID, ARE THERE ANY ROCK FANS HERE LOSING THEIR...

O.K. just a bit of humor there. But in all seriousness, there are a lot of rock music listeners and players visiting here. Anyone been diagnosed with hearing loss due to their passion and/or profession? Some of you go to a lot of concerts and very near the stage. I'm curious to know what steps you're taking to protect your ears (if nothing else ).

Thought I'd ask because the latest Rolling Stone mag has an article on the costs of high decibels over time (interviews with Pete Townshend, Mick Fleetwood, etc.)

I believe Phil Collins even cancelled future concert tours due to his accelerated hearing loss.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
November 26th, 2005 12:33 AM
pdog WHAT !!!
LOL!!!
I have worried about this in the past... BUT!!! I find I hear shit most others don't. I can find a shell casing from a shooting blocks away just by hearing the shots... I should have hearing loss, but so far so good. I even get ringing sometimes, but I hear sounds no one else does, and it freaks them out when I tell them what it is and we go check it out!
November 26th, 2005 06:12 AM
Daethgod my hearing is def going AWOL
i have been a rock DJ for over 20 years now and a Stones nut for longer .. EVERY day i get exposed to loud music, but i love it ..
i do carry earplugs with me at all times for if i run into extra loud noise
i find some concerts, live gigs and even jamming at my guitar teacers house hurts my ears
Every few months, last time was last Tues, i need to go to Doc to get my ears syringed (dewaxed)

i try to limit the loudness of music i hear, but damn its hard !
sometimes my ears ring for a few days, sometimes a week...
WHAT !!

November 26th, 2005 09:51 AM
parmeda True story...

The night I lost the left side of my hearing...November 1981...AC/DC...For Those About To Rock...third row...center stage.

...yeah, you know "the part".

Just when the cannons were ready to blow, my friend nudges me.

I turn my head to the right to look at him.

"BAM!"

The pain travelled all the way down to my left foot.

The rest is history.
November 26th, 2005 11:03 AM
deuce I'm only a youngen' and I have slight hearing loss in my left ear along with Tinnitus. I havn't been diagnosed with it but I'm sure I have this thing called Hyperacusis as well - where your ear(s) is oversensitive to certain sound and it is associated with Tinnitus. I've been to my share of rock concerts but not as many as some of you - probably 10 tops - and I've played guitar in a band. I never used to wear earplugs but now I guess I have to. Not to mention when your listening to Exile and you can't help but blast it.
[Edited by deuce]
November 26th, 2005 12:08 PM
Martha I AM not diagnosed yet, but am going to go deaf if I live as long as my ancestors (Great Grandmother was 102 years of age). They didn't even go to concerts and lost their hearing anyway.....so, it's just a matter of time for me.

I do protect my ears at times (high end notes can kill me) and other times not at all.

I want that live music to go deep down into my body. :-)

xxoo,
Martha

November 26th, 2005 01:16 PM
kath my husband is deaf...but he's not a concert person. he lost his herng because he worked in cabinet shops for many years and the loud saws and stuff blew his ears all to shit.

i'm a rock n roller and i have perfect hearing!!! i am however, losing my vision to cataracts....
November 26th, 2005 02:02 PM
gorda I have lost some hearing. How do I know? When I first got my car stereo, I used to hear it at level 18 and I thought it was loud! Now, I have it up to 25 sometimes, and I can barely hear it!

Most of my hearing loss is due to the "walkman". I used to listen to my walkman stereo everyday. I carried it with me all day! From the age, of 16 to like 24! I listened to my walkman daily!

Then, when I turned 21 and started going out dancing to clubs! The music was so loud and I didn't think about what this was doing to my ears!

Now, whenever, I go to concerts or even just a club, I put in ear plugs or if I don't have any I just stuff my ears with paper.

Also, I am prone to ear infections, since I was a child. I get swimmer's ear even though I don't swim anymore. Everytime, I go to the hair salon to get my hair bleached, I have to take my own cotton balls to protect my ears, because those ladies just wash my hair and let the water just drizzle down into my ear and then I have an ear infection.

November 26th, 2005 02:07 PM
gimmekeef My hearing has been f'dupp since seeing the Stones twice on same day in Toronto in 72...Last time I got my hearing checked they had to bang on the door to let me know the test had already started!....
November 26th, 2005 02:10 PM
gorda
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
My hearing has been f'dupp since seeing the Stones twice on same day in Toronto in 72...Last time I got my hearing checked they had to bang on the door to let me know the test had already started!....

Ha! Ha! Ha!
November 26th, 2005 04:57 PM
CraigP I am an aspiring audio tech. It has been instinct for me (for the past few years) to protect my ears. I always wear earplugs at concerts for example.
The first chapter in my college audio book is on hearing protection.
NEVER listen to headphones too loud. What is the reason to, anyways?
It is a fact that one can hear what their listening to much clearer at a lower volume. All of the instruments/nuances are perceived more accurately at a low volume.
Pete Townsend, for example, didn't lose most of his hearing from the Who's infamous loud concerts but the headphones he was forced to use while practicing in his home while his children were asleep.

Once you start losing your hearing, the problem has a snowball effect since you are more likely to turn up your volumes even louder, thus causing more damage.

ANY QUESTIONS?
[Edited by CraigP]
November 26th, 2005 09:31 PM
deuce How many people hear ringing in their ears? I realize everyone must to an extent but I'm really not sure if mine is normal like everyone elses or if its due to loud music -which I have been around for the longest time.

Sucks to be having some hearing damage when I want to be in a rock band when I'm older
November 27th, 2005 12:14 AM
CraigP The ringing is called Tinnitus (sp?)
November 27th, 2005 01:44 AM
Highwire Rob kath wrote:
quote:
i'm a rock n roller and i have perfect hearing!!! i am however, losing my vision to cataracts....

Great to hear that your hearing is all right, Kath. I'm sure you know cataracts can be taken care of successfully these days.

Two people in my family had the relatively minor operation for cataract removal. My father even had one of those replacement lenses sewn in. He healed up with excellent vision in no time. I still have the gift pen from his ophthalmologist’s office: a sample lens is exhibited in the pen top!

Of course in our USA, it's all about the health care coverage....

--Rob.
November 27th, 2005 02:05 AM
Ramrod I've been a musician and sound guy for about 30 years but the two things that have done the most damage to my hearing are 1)getting drunk late at night then listening to CD's really loud through the headphones. Alchohol always makes me want to turn it way up. It's dumb, I no longer do it but the damage is done... and 2)Firearms. All that concentrated explosion of powder right next to one's ear can't be a good thing. The gun damage was all done years ago before ear plugs were around.

Hearing damage is for life and there's no need to have music turned up so loud, except that it feels so good!!!
November 27th, 2005 09:52 AM
Navin I'd still be a Stones fan even if I go totally deaf...will still go their concerts and watch them on video and read all about them!!

Think most of us (at least I did) develop earwax as a defence mecahanism to loudness...the last time the doctor took so much of it out of my ears, he asked me if I could hear anything at all with all that stuff!!
November 27th, 2005 04:52 PM
lotsajizz Stevie Ray Vaughn---April '87 at Tufts Univ.....right in front of the speakers...they kept turning it up until the pain threshhold was reached on about sing three and us first rowers were holding our skulls in pain!!! Then they levelled it off

worth it....
November 27th, 2005 09:45 PM
glencar Deafening but not due to any concerteering...
November 28th, 2005 12:03 AM
polksalad69 usually wear earplugs at shows but lately haven't been. just can't get rid of the self destructive streak since I quit drinking I suppose. saw Bobby Bare Jr last night and he was loud as hell. my right ear is sensitive which I attribute to playing in a basement band in college.
November 28th, 2005 12:59 AM
Promo I'm 45 and have been to Rock shows for 30 years.
Played in several Rock Bands (Guitar), using a Marshall or Fender amp. I've had some ear ringin before, but have no hearing loss that I can notice, probably because I usually use an ear plug, in whatever ear is turned toward the amps. (If I notice that it's especially LOUD)

Heredity is a BIG factor too.
November 28th, 2005 04:00 PM
texile my hearing has been fucked since i discovered i could listen to music as loud as i wanted AND shut out the rest of the world with headphones.
in fact, i'm troubled by the fact - when im in my car - others wince at they volume when to me it's just fine.
November 28th, 2005 05:33 PM
Joey

... sure sounds like we have a lot of frigged up ears here ( hear ?!?!?! ) .

My advice to everyone is to start drinking heavily ---- and I mean .......... HEAVILY !!!!!

Surscee Joe !!!!!!

November 28th, 2005 07:00 PM
Lil Brian It's common for beginning hearing loss to be limited to certain frequencies. Modern hearing-aid devices can amplify only these lost areas with amazing results. It's also not uncommon for hearing loss to be limited to one ear. A hearing test is your first step to 'recovery'. :-)
November 28th, 2005 07:47 PM
glencar Thanks for the advice! I'm getting a hearing aid this week!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)