ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
You rule Chief!!
KeyArena, Seattle, Washington - October 30, 2005
© 2005 Chief Moon
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA - 4th November - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
November 5th, 2005 12:41 PM
charlotte Outstanding photos-Thanks!!!!!

no problem mac! glad you and mrs mac daddy had a blast!! Hollywood Bowl should be a great one!!!
November 5th, 2005 01:43 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i am so sorry about the calls...

i left ricks # at home, and the cell wouldnt let me dial int'l

i really tried, and will have a better system ready by sunday...

the show was terrific, as were our seats (floor/field) left side...

bitch was fun to hear - have they played that one yet this tour..?

paint it black was great, hell - they all were great! a really fun show, the band sounded good, the setlist was pretty solid (i enjoyed slipping away more than i would have the worst, but i still wanted lil t+a)

i am SOO happy i went to go see them in anaheim (i usually shy away from stadium events)

mrs macdaddy had a blast, too, and it was her first time seeing the band.

next stop - hollywood bowl!

I tried calling you last night. I should be Back 2 The Base by 4 pm-ish tomorrow (?) I will call you before hand.

Section F, Oh Yeah !! 8)

Later, Jimmy

P.S. Plan on calling in sick to work on Monday if you're gonna hang out with us after the show. We got a show on monday as well if you're interested ?

[Edited by Cardinal Fang]
November 5th, 2005 04:20 PM
mac_daddy
sounds like a plan...

we are gonna be tailgating early over @ the bowl tomorrow afternoon...

give me a ring and we will go from there...

where are you playing monday..? i would love to come and check that out...

also, are you hitting tuesday's show..? i am sure we could find some trouble to get into that night, as well...

see ya tomorrow.
November 6th, 2005 04:09 PM
kath incredibly beautiful shots!!
November 7th, 2005 05:39 AM
Gazza POP MUSIC REVIEW
‘Brown Sugar’ overdose
The Rolling Stones kick it at Angel Stadium — ladling on the classics. The audience is thrilled, but band members miss their chance, perhaps one of their last, to be bold.

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

The Rolling Stones surrendered their "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" title long ago to U2, but on their current tour the ageless musicians are in position for the first time in years to prove they are still a relevant unit.

So what happens before a packed house Friday at Angel Stadium in Anaheim?

Timidly, this once-daring band let the opportunity slip away. Its much-heralded "A Bigger Bang" tour stop proved in one crucial way to be simply a whimper.

Instead of showcasing material from the Stones' strongest album in (gulp) a quarter century, the new "A Bigger Bang," Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and the gang played it safe by devoting most of their two hours to crowd favorites from the '60s and '70s.

Yes, that meant opening again with "Start Me Up."

And, a few minutes later, "Tumbling Dice."

And, don't forget "Honky Tonk Woman," "Paint It Black" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

Think you can guess the rest?

That lineup, of course, sounds exactly like what every Stones audience wants — and the band's key members are at the height of their powers vocally and musically. So the mood Friday was as delirious as at a winning Angel playoff game.

Fans, many of them wearing souvenir T-shirts from tours decades ago, hugged and danced, thrilled to hear those classic tunes one more time.

But what about the band's legacy — and the obligation of artists to challenge their audience and themselves with new material?

Even Richards said recently that he felt things were getting stale on the last tour and wanted to come up with new songs for the show.

The best of the material from "A Bigger Bang" is sensational, not just freshening up the Stones' seductive grooves, but also revealing a new vulnerability in tales of relationships that leave far behind the renegade, love-'em-and-leave-'em image of 40 years ago.

The Stones performed only three of the 16 songs from the new album Friday and slipped them into the set almost apologetically.

You'd think pride alone would make them test the audience by doing at least half a dozen.

How much more thrilling it would have been for Jagger, who opens the bluesy, apocalyptic "Back of My Hand" on the new record with a glorious guitar solo, to have shared that number with the crowd, rather than simply singing "Get Off My Cloud" one more time.

How cautious can these guys be?

They've long shown the ability to master stadium concerts by just doing the oldies, thanks to showman instincts as potent as their musicianship.

The stage itself Friday was one of the most striking ever in rock. A series of balconies, some holding fans, curved around a pair of structures as high as the stadium's top bleachers. A giant video screen between the structures cast breathtakingly clear images of the musicians to the far reaches of the stadium.

Even in the back rows, you felt part of the action — more so when the band came to the first-base area for a few numbers on a smaller stage. That second stage would have been the ideal place to showcase some of the softer tunes from the new album.

But no.

After an opening set of R&B-flavored reggae from Toots & the Maytals, Jagger, wearing a glittery jacket and silver-striped shoes, led the band on stage to kick things off with "Start Me Up," the 1981 hit that opens with one of Richards' most famous and energizing guitar riffs.

If the Stones were in an adventurous mood, they could have followed with "Rough Justice," a guitar-driven song from the new album that updates the sound and sass of the Stones' epic periods.

Jagger's lyric on that song is a playful account of how time has turned some of his old relationships upside down:

First I saw you, baby,

You were springing like a young gazelle

Next thing I know,

Way down the road

You're flying like a bat out of hell.

The song has been picking up lots of rock-radio airplay, and the Stones did include it later in the set, but they gave the more valuable opening stretch to such unessential fare as "You Got Me Rocking" and "She's So Cold."

It wasn't until the fifth song that they turned to a tune from "A Bigger Bang": the spirited rocker "Oh No Not You Again." The wry tale of a romantic encounter isn't much lyrically but is marvelously designed musically — another one of those signature seductive Stones grooves that sounds both casual and precise, though never rigid.

Richards was the quarterback on most of the numbers, often making the opening statement on guitar, then forming a partnership with drummer Charlie Watts, guitarist Ron Wood, bassist Darryl Jones and keyboardist Chuck Leavell that allowed enough freedom to shift the music in subtle ways.

By the end, the Stones had thrown in some surprises — an especially vigorous rendition of Ray Charles' joyful "(Night Time Is) the Right Time" — and fireworks that lighted up the cool night.

Some of the classics, including "Tumbling Dice" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)," sounded a bit rote, but most were fabulous.

As the band left the stage, the excitement in the stadium let you know that most of these fans will be standing in line to pay the big bucks again if the band hits the road for a new tour in another three years. The top price this time was $450. Imagine what it'll be then.

But what if this tour, which wraps up the first leg of its Los Angeles-area run Tuesday at the Hollywood Bowl, proves to be the last time around for the Stones, whose key members are in their 60s?

Is this conservative show really the way to say goodbye?

The Stones apparently are willing to settle for the audience going home thinking, "Boy, those guys can still play 'Brown Sugar.' "

Wouldn't it be better if those fans, having heard some of the new songs, went home thinking, "Wow, I never dreamed they could be that good again."

Robert Hilburn, pop music critic of The Times, can be reached at [email protected]
November 7th, 2005 02:00 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Robert Hilburn wrote:
The Rolling Stones surrendered their "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" title long ago to U2

Wh-Wh-Wh-What!! Fucking blasphemy! I've said it before that Bob Hilburn is a fucking twat (much like Bono). Wonder if this fucking jagoff saw their Bowl show last night before he wrote such an insulting review. The LA Times needs to fire his fatass simply for all his lame Springsteen/Dylan/U2 fluff pieces which are unreadable.
November 7th, 2005 02:10 PM
Dan Hilburn IS a twat but I thought the review was spot on this time.
November 7th, 2005 02:11 PM
Dan I had fun. Last time I had floor but that particular area jumped from $90 to 450. I got the feeling the show wasnt going to be 5 times as good, so I got a cheap upper deck ticket and cruised around up there. The 2 songs I wanted to hear the most this tour (out of things I saw in the setlist) were Paint It Black and Get Off My Cloud. So it was nice to get those.
November 7th, 2005 03:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

all by Fernando Aceves, I'll post more later
November 7th, 2005 04:35 PM
Make It Funky TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS msg. #2

IS there anyone on here who actually went to the L.A. shows where Toots was the opening act? Does anyone know who Toots & the maytals are? I can't seem to find any setlist of what they played, and Im hoping some cool people on here remember or may know what songs they did.

Cheers!
November 8th, 2005 09:43 AM
mac_daddy bashing the anaheim gig is de rigour, eh..?

i felt the show wasnt nearly as bad as the folks at iorr are making it out to be. i thought it was quite good. not the best, but certainly not nearly as flat as some of the earlier stadium perfomances i have heard this year, and certainly on a par with albany.

November 8th, 2005 08:16 PM
gypsy

All photos courtesy of Corbis
November 9th, 2005 07:47 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great pix Gypsy!!

Now another by Fernando Aceves

November 9th, 2005 07:52 AM
PartyDoll MEG Bless you Gypsy!!! Wonderful pictures of my favorite subject!!
November 9th, 2005 09:39 PM
mac_daddy those photos are terrific!!!

great to see mr aceves taking those shots. was he at the bowl, as well..?
November 9th, 2005 09:53 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl NO, he returned the next day, in fact he was here at my studio yesterday and will be back tomorrow.

He gave me a lot of more photos so I'm gonna post them here soon, otherwhise we're going to have headers of the same show for a month LOL

He saw the pix by Harold and made very good comments, he also noticed he made shots during the concert as the professional are allowed to shoot during the first songs. Most of his shots were captured during SMU and YGMR, however he made some additional pix while the stage was moving to the centre.
November 9th, 2005 10:02 PM
mac_daddy wow!

does he ever make prints of any of these..?

isnt that kinda standard practice - the photgraphers get to shoot for the first two or three tunes, and that is it..?

many thanks for all of the info, and for sharing the images with all of us. these are extra special to me, as i was there, and had a wonderful time at the concert...

this site ROCKS!
November 9th, 2005 10:06 PM
gypsy More pics from Anaheim, courtesy of Newscom:

November 10th, 2005 08:25 AM
mac_daddy thanks gypsy.
November 10th, 2005 11:05 AM
Make It Funky WOW!! Those pictures were amazing!! Thank you Gypsy!! They are incredible!
November 10th, 2005 11:17 AM
Moonisup i love micks yellow head
November 10th, 2005 11:55 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One more by Fernando

November 10th, 2005 05:49 PM
Lavendar Boot-I-LISCIOUS Pics! *_* Who the F is Rob Hilburn????
November 13th, 2005 12:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One more by Fernando Aceves

November 18th, 2005 10:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yet another one...

Again by courtesy and exlusivity to Rocks Off by Fernando Aceves http://www.fernandoaceves.com
November 19th, 2005 10:44 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Fernando once more

November 20th, 2005 08:00 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Guess what? yes another one

November 20th, 2005 11:44 AM
Reptile Gypsy, those pictures are awesome, I'd like to print them out, but I prefer them without that Rock Off logo on it.

Could you e-mail me them? Just the raw picture file's, as large as possible?

My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks allot in advance...
November 20th, 2005 06:27 PM
gypsy
quote:
Reptile wrote:
Gypsy, those pictures are awesome, I'd like to print them out, but I prefer them without that Rock Off logo on it.

Could you e-mail me them? Just the raw picture file's, as large as possible?

My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks allot in advance...

No. And please don't ask me again.
November 22nd, 2005 05:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LA Times scans provided by my dearest friend in LA Lou from Hell aka Lou Alzheimmer de Parkinson also known as logarithm Lour

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)