ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Baron Wolman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Songs Stones Should Cover + Why... Return to archive
November 26th, 2004 05:36 AM
Zeeta Gots to give reasons other wise it will end up as a list!

Think About You - Guns & Roses

This songs has good melodies which Jagger could take on and improve on.
Also has chuck Berry style riff - ideal for Keith
Is rockin! Therefore NOT like the piss poor Keys to Your Love et al.
Many people don't like GnR but fuck it they made a decent racket!

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

Simple riff for Keith to play; VERY rythmic and rockin. A Fast song which Jagger could nail!

Anyone else have any ideas - admittedly mine are a bit patchy!
I'll have a think and get back to me...

November 26th, 2004 05:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Well if one is going to cover a song than IMO its always pretty safe to go back and tap the main vein. A Buddy Holly tune.
November 26th, 2004 06:04 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well if one is going to cover a song than IMO its always pretty safe to go back and tap the main vein. A Buddy Holly tune.

poor motels! At least state which Holly tune!!

Buddy Holly wasn't as influential as Chuck Berry, Little Richard and James Brown (for Mick's performing) for example - so perhaps they should do a Little Richard song or an Early James Brown - Please, Please, Please would be good!
November 26th, 2004 06:49 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Bowie's Rebel Rebel -- again, a simple riff on a kick ass song.
November 26th, 2004 06:52 AM
Jumacfly I can feel the fire / Ronnie Wood
performed by New Barbarians, back vox on the original release by Jagger, they surely know the song!!
November 26th, 2004 07:02 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Zeeta wrote:

poor motels! At least state which Holly tune!!

Buddy Holly wasn't as influential as Chuck Berry, Little Richard and James Brown (for Mick's performing) for example - so perhaps they should do a Little Richard song or an Early James Brown - Please, Please, Please would be good!

Well I think the thing with Holly is that one has to read between the lines a little bit, and compare him to the records being produced at the time. Comparing anything to Chuck Berry is kind of futile because he's the yardstick. At the time Holly was cutting edge and pushing the envelope. Kind of an odd place in music history.

November 26th, 2004 09:15 AM
Zeeta I'd also like to see Johnny Winter's I'm Yours, She's Mine covered again...Fuckin *loved* it at Hyde Park.
Keith must be turned up very loudly in the mix for this to work plus have a dirty sound.
November 26th, 2004 12:21 PM
Navin
"Under My Wheels" by the Alice Cooper Group...this one is a lost Stones classic after all.
November 26th, 2004 01:16 PM
caro Give Away None Of My Love, by Otis Redding. I love the song, but I'm not completely convinced by the version I have (I'm not sure if Otis recorded more than one -- mine is from a soul compilation, so it's probably the best-known version).
I'd like to hear a Stones version less centered around the brass part. They could add a special tension to the song, IMO. Also, the lyrics would be funny to hear from Mick.
November 26th, 2004 01:18 PM
Nasty Habits Considering "Not Fade Away" is a Buddy Holly tune I'd say that he was pretty influential.

Keith singing "Rave On" would be spectacular.

The two songs I currently fantasize about hearing the Stones cover are:

"Watch the One Who Always Brings the Bad News" by Joe Tex, because it's an arrogant mid-tempo soul strut with a great guitar break and is a great "fuck off" to critics that would close out a truly good Rolling Stones album perfectly. If they could do this song right, it would be amazing.

"Shake Rattle and Roll" by Joe Turner. Most versions of this song are sanitized and just "jumpy" -- because they cover Bill Haley's hit version, which had cleaned up lyrics. But the original Joe Turner version is positively lascivious, with a lyric that Jagger could totally wrap his lips around. The basic thump and swing of the music is perfectly suited to Watts and I would love to hear the guitar hooks Keith and Ronnie could come up with to replace the saxes. Add, say, Mac on piano and it would reconnect them and by extension rock and roll to their/its roots in a deep and nasty way.

November 26th, 2004 04:10 PM
shakedhandswithkeith I always hope they will one day play live a coverversion of good ole Frank Sinatra`s: That`s Live. I`m sure this song is written to perform by Mick Jagger!!! It`s much better as LARS

Listen before you disagree!!!!
November 26th, 2004 10:43 PM
Soldatti Mick's song "Blue"
The song is good with he, it will be killer with the Stones.
November 27th, 2004 03:41 AM
PolkSalad Lonesome Bob's "Do You Think About Me" because I thought it was the Stones the first time I heard the Waco Brothers doing it.
November 27th, 2004 08:08 AM
Cant Catch Me Yeah, Buddy Holly is monster and not to be undervalued. Any Stones cover of a Buddy Holly song should include a heavy dose of sarcasm to be most effective, since most Holly tunes seem pretty innocent, I think. So, the Buddy Holly songs I'd love to hear the Stones cover right now are "Rave On" and "It Doesn't Matter Anymore."

Also, "Radio and TV" by the Everly Brothers would be way cool.

I've said it before, but "Pills" by Bo Diddley would be an excellent cover.

Two songs done by Charlie Rich would be good too (tho' I don't know if Charlie Rich did them before anybody else), "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water" and "Everything I Do Is Wrong."

"Little Sister" as done by Elvis Presley would be nice.

Some Hank Williams Sr., almost any of 'em, would be outstanding, as would Lefty Frizzell's "I'm An Old, Old Man (Trying To Live While I Can.)"

And how about Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire?" That one would have some strong potential, I believe.

There're tons more too, this thread could go on forever.

But, please, no Frank Sinatra! That would be a disaster. One because Frank's songs are in a style that's entirely different than the Stones's style, and two because anybody trying to cover Frank's signature tunes is practically guaranteed to sound ridiculous in comparison to Frank. Not that I personally even like Sinatra, but that's a different topic. But Stones covers of Sinatra would sound as foolish as the Stones doing Pink Floyd, ELP or Yes, in my opinion.

[Edited by Cant Catch Me]
November 27th, 2004 10:52 AM
gimmekeef There was a 60's song...words like 'Down by the River,the banks of the River Charles" with a basic guitar twang that I thought sounded like them.Singer had a very Jagger like snarl.Was it the Standells?and about being in my home town of Boston??