ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Baron Wolman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RS Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs Return to archive
November 23rd, 2004 08:24 PM
Highwire Rob Look, I know a lot of you dismiss Rolling Stone Mag's "Greatest" lists anyhow. But what get's me is that the esteemed judges consisting of artists, producers, RS writers, etc. couldn't even put "Start Me Up" in the top 500 ????!!!

Give me a fuckin' break! The reason that it's a sell out success--launching MicroSoft and Chevy ad campaigns (not to mention hundreds of American ball games) in the last two decades is that IT IS A GREATEST SONG!!!!

RS Mag is always fawning to sorry ass punks who can't even play their fuckin' instruments. I mean, Sex Pistols with two entries--pushing out "Start Me Up" ?

Fuck you Johnny Rotten! Commandeering a barge down the Thames spewing illiterate vitriol at a powerless monarch is just drama queenery.

Screw Rolling Stone Mag! (For now.)

November 23rd, 2004 09:04 PM
Gazza From a personal preference, I wouldnt put Start Me Up as one of the best 100 Rolling Stones songs, never mind the top 500 songs of all time.

It was a success before it was ever equated with sports games or commercials. Those criterias dont make it a great song!

Theres several more Stones tracks that are essential and made them what they are. A lot of those songs, like Satisfaction, Sympathy, JJ Flash defined their era and what the Stones represent much better than Start Me Up, which came at a time when they were not as culturally or musically as relevant as they were when they were younger.

I think Start Me Up is a great riff and its very well produced. Its a good song for radio and a good choice as a single. I dont think its a great song, however.
November 23rd, 2004 09:34 PM
Soldatti Stones' on the Top 500:

002 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
032 Sympathy for the Devil
038 Gimme Shelter
100 You Can't Always Get What You Want
116 Honky Tonk Women
124 Jumpin' Jack Flash
174 Paint It Black
295 Street Fighting Man
303 Ruby Tuesday
334 Wild Horses
424 Tumbling Dice
435 Beast Of Burden
490 Brown Sugar
496 Miss You

Again, no post 1978 songs...
November 23rd, 2004 10:27 PM
corgi37 And, fair enough too. They have made some great stuff since 78, but nothing really to match the classics.

I'm just happy Stones are higher than the Beatles!

I can handle Like a Rolling Stone as #1.
November 24th, 2004 07:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Stones' on the Top 500:

038 Gimme Shelter
116 Honky Tonk Women
124 Jumpin' Jack Flash
174 Paint It Black
295 Street Fighting Man
303 Ruby Tuesday
334 Wild Horses
424 Tumbling Dice
435 Beast Of Burden
490 Brown Sugar
496 Miss You

I wouldnt put "Start me up" within a million miles of anything on that list.

Theres several songs that from a personal point of view, I'd have in my Stones top 10 (eg Midnight Rambler (from Ya Ya's), Moonlight Mile, Torn & Frayed, Continental Drift) but I wouldnt expect what was a large cross section of other 'critics' to feel the same way.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 24th, 2004 09:12 AM
L&A I don't like Start Me Up (imho one of the most boring songs of the Stones, together with Rock in a Hard Place...).

I would put SFD at row 1 and MR at 3. Ok for Satisfaction on row 2
November 24th, 2004 09:40 AM
Joey
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Stones' on the Top 500:

038 Gimme Shelter
116 Honky Tonk Women
124 Jumpin' Jack Flash
174 Paint It Black
295 Street Fighting Man
303 Ruby Tuesday
334 Wild Horses
424 Tumbling Dice
435 Beast Of Burden
490 Brown Sugar
496 Miss You

That's a Fair List !

.....read the magazine last evening at " Barnes & Noble " and there were NOT too many songs from the 1980's on that " Top Five Hundred " !!!

.....and only a few WHO Songs ....WTF ?!?!

WHY ?!?!

Jazzy ! �
November 24th, 2004 10:10 AM
J.J.Flash fuck off Start Me Up.....
November 24th, 2004 08:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
fuck off Start Me Up.....

Thier last BIG hit, BTW...
November 24th, 2004 09:38 PM
Blind Dog McGhee fart me up
November 24th, 2004 10:07 PM
Nasty Habits I think you Start Me Up nay-sayers are nuts.

Start Me Up is a GREAT single. Great singles are positively essential to who the Rolling Stones are. A song so instantly free of contemporary concern, one that's THAT familiar the first time you ever hear it is one of the things that makes the Rolling Stones the world's greatest whatever. They are morally bound as the Rolling Stones to deliver one of those on every album (although they violate that contract a lot). That the they came up with it in 1981 is ESSENTIAL to the basic myth of the Stones as a constant source of rock and roll renewal.

Without Start Me Up, there is NO completely undeniable Rolling Stones classic in the last 25 years -- no rock'n'roll defining moment for them in the '80s. The Start Me Up riff is as good and as iconic as the riffs in Brown Sugar and Satisfaction -- they instantly and completely embody "Rolling Stones" to anyone who hears them. Plus the drums kick total ass and you can't tell me that that high "yea-ee-aah" after the "mean mean machine" hook isn't just pure rock genius.

Add that stuff about "dead man come" and a line as good as "I can�t compete with the riders in the other heats", and this song ranks in Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women territory, and although it can't touch Tumbling Dice it trounces "It's Only Rock and Roll" but good. "Miss You", another much maligned work of art, is in a class by itself.

I just listened to Tattoo You yesterday and it pretty much kicked my ass -- the band is unbelievable and the production is so good it's daunting, and this slab of pure bred "Louie Louie" stupidity and undeniable hittitude at the start firmly establishes that you're facing a classic Rolling Stones LP and you'd better get used to it.

Start Me Up fully deserves its warhorse status and deserves to be rammed down our throat at every Rolling Stones show.
November 24th, 2004 10:44 PM
Madafaka Rolling Stone rankings sux! Never in my whole life I agreed with it.
November 24th, 2004 11:29 PM
Blind Dog McGhee great video