ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Baron Wolman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Christmas and the homeless Return to archive
November 23rd, 2004 05:25 AM
stones-addict With Christmas rapidly approaching, and with the weather getting colder in many parts of the world, I think we need to spare some time to think about the homeless.

A person in my area has started a great project which allows anyone to help out, without needing to spend any money. All it takes is pulling together some things that you've probably got in the house anyway.

He's putting together duffel bags for the homeless which contain socks, shirts, sweaters, pants, jackets, blankets, packaged foods which require no cooking (peanut butter is a great source of protein and doesn't spoil), etc.

I'd like to challenge each person here to put at least one of these bags together to give to a homeless person in your area. Tell your friends and coworkers about it. Most people get very excited about being involved in a hands-on project like this.

The homeless don't care about size, colour, style etc. They are cold, hungry, and probably feeling forgotten. Show them that they still matter to somebody, ok?
November 23rd, 2004 05:58 AM
J.J.Flash Congratulations for your gesture mister. I hope everybody get touched and try to help in a way or another.
November 23rd, 2004 07:09 AM
thejuf famous quote: I was so pleased to be informed by this!

What a nice gesture indeed!
It is good to know that people still care about each other
November 23rd, 2004 02:29 PM
gypsy Thanks for reminding me to gather up old clothes, coats, blankets, comfortors, shoes, etc...
I'd almost forgotten. I go to downtown OKC every year and hand out items to the homeless. I like to do it personally, so I know that the people who need these things the most get them.
November 23rd, 2004 02:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
Protests Ring Out After Target Bans Salvation Army

Some consumers and advocacy groups are upset that retailers including Target have banned the Salvation Army's Christmas tradition of bell-ringing volunteers who solicit donations for the poor.

The bans have touched off controversy among retailers. Some top sellers seem to be catering to the charity to win over consumers ticked off at other stores for kicking the bell-ringers off their property.

"The Salvation Army has a remarkable history of providing year-round service to families, and Big Lots is proud to continue our tradition of helping with their fundraising goals," this Columbus, Ohio, retailer said in a statement after Target's announcement it would ban the charity.

They were followed by auto parts chain AutoZone and the nation's No. 3 bookseller chain, Books-A-Million Inc., the Boston Globe reported. BJ's Wholesale Club Inc. has also stepped in to help by allowing the kettles at its stores.

The nation's No. 1 retailer, Wal-Mart, has also welcomed the bell-ringers, but with restrictions: They must stand outside stores and are limited to 14 days, the Globe said.

The bans by Target, Circuit City, Best Buy, Home Depot and others come amid the Salvation Army's 113th year of doing what it can to fend for the poor and unfortunate.

Shoppers "are coming here for a reason, and the reason is not for solicitation of any kind by a third party," said Steve Mullen, a spokesman for Circuit City.

Target's decision "was a huge shock and a huge source of discouragement for us," Lt. David Grindle, a spokesman for the charity, told Fox News Channel.

The retailer pointed to its corporate policy forbidding solicitation.

"Like many nationwide retailers, Target Corporation has implemented this policy in order to be consistent with all the groups that request access to our stores and to provide our guests with a comfortable, distraction-free shopping environment," the company says in a statement posted on its Web site.

"Target does not permit individuals (including political candidates and/or their campaign organizations) or non-profit organizations to solicit donations, distribute literature, sell merchandise, or hold events on our premises.

"Our company has many other means by which it can support organizations whose charitable programs fall within our corporate giving guidelines." Target says it gives $2 million annually to "neighborhoods, programs and schools across the country."

The policy will no doubt be a blow to the charity, which last year collected 10 percent of its $93 million in holiday collections from Target shoppers, Fox News said.

'A Lump of Coal'

It's unclear whether the kettle-kicking retailers dislike the Salvation Army or are merely acting out of concern for customers. What is clear is that not all customers like their decisions.

"It's a disgrace," South Boston resident Phyllis McElaney told the Globe. "The bell ringers remind you of the meaning of Christmas, that it's about love, caring, and giving."

"Call it a safe bet - maybe even a bright-red, bull's-eye, fashionable, smartly priced bet - that American life has become too corporate or complex when Target banishes the Salvation Army's bell ringers," Indianapolis Star columnist Ruth Holladay wrote.

Others say they'll take their business elsewhere.

"I thought it was wrong because the Salvation Army is a good cause. They take care of lots of good people around the country and in our community. I won't be supporting Target this year, at all," once-loyal Target shopper Jeffrey Trimm told Christian World News.

Robert Knight of Concerned Women for America told CWN, "Millions of Christians give Target millions of dollars in their Christmas shopping, and what they've gotten from Target in return? A lump of coal.

"We had one tangible aspect of Christmas, beyond the commercial reason. We had the Salvation Army out there, a Christian charity collecting money for the poor at Christmas. What a great counterweight to the all-mighty dollar which is being worshipped in these stores," he added.

The opposition has even produced a Web site called bantarget.org, calling on all shoppers to spend their money at businesses that support bell-ringers.

Grindle says if the charity can't replace its losses, it will have to cut services.

November 23rd, 2004 06:41 PM
glencar Target et al should be ashamed!
November 23rd, 2004 06:56 PM
telecaster https://www58.safesecureweb.com/operationac/AdoptASoldier.aspx

Adopt a soldier
November 23rd, 2004 07:04 PM
gypsy Thanks, tele.
Also, if anyone hasn't done so, buying phone cards for our soldiers is a wonderful gift! I have a few family members in Iraq, and I know how much they appreciate the gesture.
November 24th, 2004 01:56 PM
jb Soldiers also like used thong underwear.
November 24th, 2004 02:35 PM
glencar Phone cards! What a great idea! And used thongs isn't too bad either, bubbeleh!
November 24th, 2004 08:54 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the ideas