ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Baron Wolman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Sound Opinions" - Stanley Booth Return to archive
November 15th, 2004 10:33 AM
TornAndFrayed Here is a VERY interesting torrent:

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=14161

A 2001 radio interview (with Jim DeRogatis and Greg Kot) featuring Stanley Booth, author of the classic "The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones", the book on the 1969 tour.

Highly recommened. Check the link for details.
November 15th, 2004 11:50 AM
mac_daddy i saw this - and you have sold me on it. hopping on now...

Stanley Booth, author of "The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones" and "Rythm Oil" (supposed to be spelled wrong).

Sound Opinions, the world's only rock and roll talk show.
WXRT, Chicago
Tuesday's at 10 PM.
With Jim Derogatis, pop music critic for the Chicago Sun-Times
and Greg Kot, rock critic for the Chicago Tribune.

Ads cut out.

80min

FM>DAT (minor reception hiss).
DAT>ZA2 (dos)>PC; Edited in Cool Edit Pro; Tracked in CDWAVE; Shn'd with MKW.
1. Intro collage and Jim and Greg telling us what's coming up (4:00)
2. A bunch of clips from Altamont participants, including stones, managers, Sonny Barger, newscasters, etc. (2:42)
3. Stanley Booth. On life with the Stones (he lived and travelled with them for several years in the late 60's/early 70's), Brian Jones and his death, Altamont, being on stage at Altamont, Hell's Angels, (18:15)
4. Clips: Mick talking to the audience at Altamont, more Sonny Barger, more Stanley Booth: on Sonny Barger, on Altamont, Altamont's effects on Mick and the Stones, on walking away from the stage with Charlie Watts after the concert. Mick talking. (8:25)
5. Mick being questioned by a reporter. Stanley talking about the Keith Richards section of his "Rythm Oil" book. Drug use, drug abuse, Mick's attitude toward drugs and Keith's use of drugs, etc. (15:10)
November 15th, 2004 12:25 PM
TornAndFrayed I love the part where he explains why the Stones set at Altamont started so late: Not because everybody was waiting for it to get dark so that Mick could do his "satanic thing" but because "the bass player couldn�t get his skinny ass on the scene" earlier. Stanley has a great sense of humour...
[Edited by TornAndFrayed]
November 15th, 2004 06:24 PM
PolkSalad remember, DeRo's a fat bastard.

anyone ever seen his band?
November 15th, 2004 08:21 PM
mac_daddy havent seen/heard his band...

but hearing stanley booth makes it well worth the download...
November 16th, 2004 12:45 PM
Monkey Woman Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the permavine, mac_daddy! Do I post here to sign up or do I PM you?
November 16th, 2004 01:00 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the permavine, mac_daddy! Do I post here to sign up or do I PM you?

you are most welcome...

just post here in this thread...
November 16th, 2004 01:01 PM
Monkey Woman Here it is!

Sound Opinions permavine sign-up:

0. macdaddy
-----> a.
-----> b.
-----> c.
1. VINYL KILLS
-----> a.
-----> b.
-----> c.
2. Monkey Woman
-----> a.
-----> b.
-----> c.
November 16th, 2004 01:27 PM
mac_daddy 0. macdaddy
1. VINYL KILLS
2. Monkey Woman
-----> a.
-----> b.
-----> c.
-----> a.
-----> b.
-----> c.
November 16th, 2004 01:34 PM
telecaster
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
remember, DeRo's a fat bastard.

anyone ever seen his band?

These two clowns have been bashing the Stones since the late '70's. Every review of a Stones show in Chicago is these two aholes criticizing every detail and offering
zero positive feedback for decades. Typical loser critics who can't do it themselves so they criticize those who can

I saw Jim DeRogatis walking down the street in Chicago, taking up the entire sidewalk I might add, and I rolled my window down and yelled "lay off the Stones you fat fuck"

November 16th, 2004 04:48 PM
gypsy tele, you rock. I would have just yelled at him for being fat.
November 16th, 2004 04:53 PM
glencar They're both mean bastards! DeRogatis is also a blowhard of teh first dimension.
November 16th, 2004 05:11 PM
mac_daddy i had never heard of either of them, but the majority of the talking on this set is done by booth, and none of the questions are derrogatory in regards to the stones...

i couldn't imagine any stones fan NOT enjoying listening to this 80 minute program, but ymmv...
November 17th, 2004 06:23 PM
Monkey Woman I've read several times Stanley Booth's book on the 1969 tour. His biography of Keith is very interesting too. As a friend of the band, especially of Keith, he was there at a key period of time, he saw it all and wrote about it honestly, without trying to make himself look good at the expense of the Stones. Keith's opinion of the book sums it all "the only book about which I can say: this is as it was".
November 17th, 2004 06:25 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
I've read several times Stanley Booth's book on the 1969 tour. His biography of Keith is very interesting too. As a friend of the band, especially of Keith, he was there at a key period of time, he saw it all and wrote about it honestly, without trying to make himself look good at the expense of the Stones. Keith's opinion of the book sums it all "the only book about which I can say: this is as it was".

i am re-reading "true adventures" right now, and re-listening to all of my 1969 tour sources, too!!!

November 18th, 2004 09:42 PM
CousinCocaine I loved his books and it would be great to be on that list, too !!
(plus I'm a fan of the 69 tour . .)
best
CC
November 18th, 2004 11:20 PM
BILL PERKS PLEASE SIGN UP PERKS
November 19th, 2004 02:23 AM
PolkSalad
quote:
telecaster wrote:

These two clowns have been bashing the Stones since the late '70's. Every review of a Stones show in Chicago is these two aholes criticizing every detail and offering
zero positive feedback for decades. Typical loser critics who can't do it themselves so they criticize those who can

in DeRo's defense, he is a decent drummer, but that band of his, holy smokes, if it's not joke, I'm scared.
November 21st, 2004 10:07 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i am re-reading "true adventures" right now, and re-listening to all of my 1969 tour sources, too!!!

Cool!
November 26th, 2004 10:06 AM
mac_daddy

0. macdaddy sent 11/22
1. VINYL KILLS
2. Monkey Woman
3. CousinCocaine
4. BILL PERKS

November 26th, 2004 11:25 AM
violentkind
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

0. macdaddy sent 11/22
1. VINYL KILLS
2. Monkey Woman
3. CousinCocaine
4. BILL PERKS
5. Violentkind

Thanks!
November 26th, 2004 02:39 PM
mac_daddy Sound Opinions permavine sign-up:

0. macdaddy sent 11/22
1. VINYL KILLS
2. Monkey Woman
3. CousinCocaine
4. BILL PERKS
5. Violentkind
6. Nellcote (nellcote has generously offered to take a few B+Ps)
-----> a.
-----> b.
-----> c.

November 26th, 2004 02:44 PM
Monkey Woman BTW, mac_daddy, I'm new to permavines. Could you enlighten me on how it works, please?