ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 Robert Altman

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Rolling Stone interview w/ Mick & Keith Return to archive
11-26-02 05:41 PM
100 Years Ago don't know if this already posted but if not, here's the link: http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1320

Stones chosen as one of RS's people of the year! interview took place in SF.
11-26-02 06:10 PM
sonicrock did nt get that before thanks for the links, i ll pick him up i m a nice guy h�h� like that one hh�h�
11-26-02 06:26 PM
winter Mick's right, the new beck album is pretty amazing. I didn't like it at first, but that and the new Ryan Adams are staples for me at this point.

wintah
11-26-02 06:59 PM
CS Thanks for the interview. This is the text just in case they move it:

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

The glimmer twins reflect on the latest in their forty-year run as the world's greatest rock & roll band

We have been supremely blessed," says Keith Richards before the Rolling Stones hit the stage at San Francisco's Pacific Bell Park. In their fortieth year as a band, Richards, Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and eternal new boy Ron Wood have issued a million-selling anthology, Forty Licks, and won rave reviews for their current tour of arenas, theaters and stadiums, a world trek that in 2003 will include the Stones' first dates in China. "We've been well served by weather, too," Richards says of the stadium gigs, except tonight in San Francisco, where it's raining. "I've got to do something about this guy God joining the band again."
What have you discovered about yourselves, as a live band, in the theater shows this year?

Jagger: I become more intense as a singer than as a performer, where the accent is more on gestures. And there are songs I can't do in bigger places. "Stray Cat Blues" is not a number I'm particularly mad about, but it worked really well at the Wiltern Theatre in L.A. And you get an intensity from a soul tune like "That's How Strong My Love Is" that you can't get in a stadium.

Mick, on the B stage in the big shows, you lose a lot of running room. How do you keep from tripping over Keith or Ron?

Jagger: I keep my hands in front of me. If I bang into them, it's just my hands.

Richards: He's never fallen in his life. I've fallen over. Everybody else has fallen over, except Mick. You always watch your feet. But if he ever fell over, I'd pick him up. I'm a nice guy [laughs].

Are you disappointed that the four new songs on Forty Licks don't get as much airplay as the thirty-six hits? Radio programmers have locked the Stones into a particular era: classic rock.

Jagger: I would like all of the songs to get lots more attention [laughs]. But radio in America is so stratified. There was an interesting article in Billboard where one of the Neptunes was talking about how, in his car, he listens to a mixture of stuff, whereas commercial radio never reflects how eclectic people's tastes really are. I play college radio in different cities, to get the feel of the town -- and because I don't like a lot of ads.

Richards: Slowly, those new songs will become part of the whole pattern of the band. At the moment, four new ones in the middle of all these old ones seems kind of radical. But play the record in a few years, and it will just be part of the fabric.

What are you listening to -- other than Stones songs onstage?

Jagger: The new Beck album -- and the Coldplay album. They're both introspective. I like the way the Beck record is all one mood. I like that, where the mood is sustained through a whole record.

Richards: I thought the Strokes were interesting when they opened for us. I like the fact that there are five guys with guitars up there, not with synthesizers swinging through the air on armchairs. And I really liked the White Stripes. They really brassed it out. Charlie and I were watching the chick drummer: "She's pretty good, man."

Have there been any lows this year? During tour rehearsals, you lost longtime crew member Chuch Magee to a heart attack.

Richards: That's the only low -- turning around after a number and not seeing him. Then you start to imagine he's there. So we've kept him alive -- we blame him for everything that goes wrong.

DAVID FRICKE
(RS 911 - Dec. 12, 2002)