ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 Robert Altman

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nashville review 11/25 Return to archive
11-26-02 01:56 AM
BigMac It's 12:30 AM on 11/26 and I have to be up at 5:30 to get to work, but after the show I feel like I have to write my thoughts down. The Stones put on a great show, as expected. The energy level was high, performance was above par. Since I'm a school teacher, I'll give grades. Mick-A, Keith-C, Ronnie-D (a B when they turned up his amp. I only heard him "play" on a few songs. He was doing the pump fisting and pretending to play chords when all he was doing was keeping his hands low on the neck of the guitar and hitting the bottom string.) Charlie-A. I won't grade the others, however Bobby Keys was on fire, especially when the crowd egged him on to the B-stage for an extended Brown Sugar.

Going in, I was super excited, because everyone I read had said "Ronnie's back". I understand it's not 1975 when he ripped through the Stones catalogue as if he was the original. I also understand he's not Mick Taylor, but geez, can't he learn some solo's to play. He did shine on Monkey Man, was absolutely fanatastic on Can't You Hear me Knocking, and sounded great on all the B-stage songs- IORR, Little Red Rooster & Brown Sugar. He played very good slide on Happy & The Worst, After reading this you are probably saying, WHY IS BIGMAC complaining? Well, those were it. He was either non-existant, or the engineers turned his sound off on purpose on the other 13-14 songs. Granted, I'd hear a note or two on Start Me Up , Don't Stop, If You Can't Rock Me and Jumping Jack Flash, but it was all Keith on Street Fighting Man, Tumbling Dice,Satisfaction,Sympathy, Rocks Off, Loving Cup and Sweet Virginia.

Again you might say, great Keith dominated the show as usual, why am I complaining- well, Keith wasn't very good tonight, Vocally, he was good on his two numbers. He played well on the B-stage tunes, but just didn't have it on any of the other songs. I know Honky Tonk like many of the other songs are in an open chord, but it just didn't seem if he cared or not if he sounded bad. As long as he could smoke and move his arms and legs when he struck a chord he was happy. His solo on Sympathy was pitiful, he screwed up on Rocks Off and Gimme Shelter. He did have his moments that he sounded great, but heck if you invented the sound to Satisfaction and have played it for 37 years, then you'd sound pretty good at it too.

I was just expecting more from my hero's. The GEC is not a great place for concerts, as it always appears the high frequencies are bouncing all around keeping you from hearing what is currently being played. Keith's guitar was too loud, as was Leavell's keyboards. Ronnie was only turned up when he was the highlight. I know given the chance he could shine, I just wished he would practice. When Tumbling Dice was ending, the brass section did as they have done since the 72 tour, and I was just hoping to hear Ronnie give us a nice rolling, swift solo like Taylor gave us on the Brussels 73 show.

All in all, I'd do it again and again. I love the Stones. But I think they are underacheiving and playing on their credentials rather than reaching into they hearts and minds and giving the fans what they want to hear, which is them giving 100 %. Practice makes perfect, and I'd say that they need to practice.

Were any fellow gasser's there? I should have invited all th eout of towners' to eat at a restaurant nearby, but I simply forgot.Take care,

BigMac-

PS- would've loved No Expectations & YCAGWYW. I guess the last song answers my entire opinion of the show.

11-26-02 03:16 AM
jbs I agree on Ronnie's part, I couldn't even hear his solo on Don't Stop! I was at the Atlanta show as well and they were better in Atlanta but they still fuckin rocked! I loved every minute!
11-26-02 01:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks for the review, I'm linking itto the Nashville thread! And welcome to the board!

11-26-02 01:31 PM
jb Please keep the reviews positive..Thanks..jb
11-26-02 01:32 PM
Moonisup Hi josh,!! Got 4 shidoobee stickers today, I expect your package also this week!! Could not be better
11-26-02 02:22 PM
jb Hiya Rik..got your private message..Yes , I received it from Sirstonesalot...It cost 14.00 dollars to send you package global priority..it should have been there by today..fuckin post office sucks!!!