ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 Robert Altman

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie has re-invented himself Return to archive
11-25-02 02:55 PM
T&A It's interesting and cool that so many folks are giving ol' Woody the thumbs-up. I've been a been Woody fan since his hey-day with the Faces.

I've seen many comments that Woody has never played better than on this tour, blah, blah.

My take is that he really has re-invented himself. He CANNOT play with the unabashed abandon and fire that was his trademark through the 70's and then through the '81 tour.

Whether it's better or not is a matter of personal taste. What I hear on this tour is a man who has come up with some brand-new licks (how apropos!). You listen to some of the CYHMK solos or even some of those on more well-worn classics like TD and Neighbours. These are not the same kinds of solos he played in earlier eras. I'm not technically savvy enough to describe the differences, but I know he's taken a whole new approach to his leads. Different tone, different attack, different approach. You listen to some of these leads and compare them to say, a Whip '81 or a Respectable '78 and you would not know this is the same dude.

I find this transformation very interesting. I think it's a reflection of a sober Woody recognizing he's lost his ol' chops but is strong enough and willful enough to want to find a "new groove." Good for him and good for the Stones.

Better than ever? Again, I will leave that to the individual to assess.
11-25-02 03:23 PM
Fiji Joe Yeah, he has definately pull an Algore...but in a good way
11-25-02 04:02 PM
Scottfree Good assessment... Couldn't agree more, I thought 81 was amazing he had a stunning performance in DC 81/82..
11-25-02 04:23 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Good assessment!

Having not heard a lot from the 81/82 era and only sporadic stuff from '75 and '78, I can't really make an honest assessment. I will say that some of his leads that I've heard have been as great, if not as in that same very snarling loose Love You Live weave vein, as some of the '75 stuff. Not always on, all the time, but still very very very good. It's definitely better than the stuff from '89 and most of the stuff from '94-5 and '97-9 (the general consensus based on what little I've heard combined with the reviews of the era is that they came out strong and died on the road).

I'm happy to have him sober. It may mean those few real inspired blasts of glory are gonna be fewer and further between, but that choppy, uptempo "We're here to play rock'n'roll, damnit" feel is still there, even without the viciousness.

And once again, as the late great George Harrison said...

"Gimme plenty of that guitar!"

The stadium shows *need to be turned up on the guitars*. Then I think you'll find a lot of the gaps on this tour filled. True, it may be a little bit more messy, but you know what? It's the Stones. And when they're at their roughest they're at their greatest.

Your assessment is dead on. No, he's not the best ever. And I think he, unlike Keith, doesn't have that threshold for alcohol - from what people say, Ronnie's been drinking nonstop since before he and Rod The Mod left Jeff Beck to join the Small Faces. It probably even added to his playing then - that off-kilter snarl that makes him and Keith so distinctive and well-suited for each other. But as he gets older, he uses it up, and with the blow and so forth he was on it probably wore his threshold out without him noticing.

But I'm beginning to see more and more photos of him having a good time. When I saw him at the Fleet, he was totally into his music, a kinda scowl on his face through all the numbers. He was concentrating really hard on *playing* again. Now he's striking that balance of being able to have a good time and camp it up with the boys while still playing these new licks.

Again, good thoughts. When I get my NYC boots (they're in the mail! HUZZAH!) I'll pay closer attention. What do you think, in purely personal opinion? How's he been this tour?

And how are they all going to change for better or worse over their winter break?

-tSYX --- Seven more days, all I gotta do is survive!
11-25-02 04:43 PM
T&A Oh - I quite like RW's leads. Though, honestly, I prefer his take-no-prisoners style of the 70's. If - hypothetically - the Stones were shopping for a new guitar player right now, I don't think Woody would be their choice. His playing during his apprenticeship of the mid-70's certainly won him the job (that, and his friendship with KR).

But, all that is a moot point now. Bottom-line is that Woody is once again, for the first time in 20 years, adding something of quality to the live act and that is certainly reason for celebration.
11-25-02 05:04 PM
69 Chevy Ronnie's playing last Saturday in San Antonio was the best I have ever seen him play live! He was hot to the touch and appears to really be enjoying himself. When he cranked it up the band would kick it up a notch as well. It is almost like he is now the defacto leader of the band(Musically at least when the are on stage). If Mick is the heart of the Stones, and Keith the soul, then Ronnie is the dick! And men will follow their dicks anywhere! And that is how it was last Saturday night
11-25-02 08:01 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
69 Chevy wrote:
If Mick is the heart of the Stones, and Keith the soul, then Ronnie is the dick! And men will follow their dicks anywhere! And that is how it was last Saturday night

That's the *best quote* I've ever seen.

Someone better forward this to the boys.

What's Charlie? I'd say he's the heart, keepin' the time, Mick's the brain - he knows what he's doin' and he's smart in doin' it.

Ah Ronnie Wood, Dick of the Rolling Stones - put that on your business cards at the art studios...

Listenin' to "Midnight Rambler" from Atlanta now.

Burrrrrrnin! Even Chuck's alright on his little solo. The energy's just cooking! They still need to turn up those goddamn guitars, though...

-tSYX --- Don't do that... don't do that...
11-25-02 11:24 PM
tumblingdice I guess if you had to be a dick, what better one to be than a Stones dick? Ask Bill Wyman!
11-26-02 02:19 AM
woodywoodpecker I must agree with you on the 95-97 concerts, the ones that have transpired on video at least clearly show that Ronnie's solo's were not up to scratch. What I do know is that Ronnie hit an all time low before this tour, and however if anybody kicked some sense into Ronnie (God Bless Them)What you find with most great performers is they
dont realise how great they really are. I have heard Rod Stewart say that Ronnie is one of the Greatest Guitar players in the world!And I agree, I think Ronnie wound up confused & lost touch with what he does for a living. And partying and boozing is not what the Stones employed Ronnie to do.He also has had no option but not to drink and I think this is why we have seen a change in Ronnie's performance. I've loved and followed Ronnie since his days with The Faces and IMO his guitar playing is incredible,
wether its on the Accoustic Guitar/Dobro/Slide/rhythym/lead you name it you will find some of Rock's finest moments on six strings ever played. I have also noticed that Ronnie tends to sit back alittle over the past few years which I find very frustrating I have screamed at the stereo/video begging Ronnie to fucking let rip!! From the Boots I have heard so far I think he is playing great but still building on his confidence so give it a few more shows and I think everybody including Taylor fans will soon realise why the stones wanted woody in the first place.

KEEP IT UP, YOUR DICK & YOUR AMAZING PLAYING MR.R.WOOD

THE PECKER