ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 Robert Altman

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Are the Stones still on tour? Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-22-02 01:05 PM
Maxlugar You don't hear much about it these days.

Is it over?

11-22-02 01:14 PM
parmeda Max....my jaw just dropped and I am staring at you.

Send me your address...I am overnighting you a bottle of Mezcal.
11-22-02 01:23 PM
nankerphelge He won't drink it!
Send it to me!

11-22-02 02:18 PM
100 Years Ago the tour continues...after a long week of silence, not even a club date, damn!

seein' em in SA tomorrow, can't fuckin' wait!
11-22-02 02:20 PM
jb How are the sales in SA? I was reading today that Springsteens concerts have highest avg. attendance at 16,500, followed by Macca...no mention of the Stones...(of course Springsteen tickets all 73.50).
[Edited by jb]
11-22-02 02:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot JB, don't forget about the theatre shows. That's gonna hurt the average. Neither Bruce or Macca are playing 1500-2500 seat venues.
11-22-02 02:35 PM
100 Years Ago jb,

not sure how sales are overall, they seemed to have opened up some seats the last couple of week, I scored floor seats from ticketmaster last friday near the small stage, at $300 a pop, but it's the stones so fuck it, worth every penny!
11-22-02 02:41 PM
Nellcote Sales here have been abysmal for tonight's gig.
Just myself, my computer, my new 40 Licks 4ft mylar poster,
Stones blasting in my office.
Trying to find a way to have the salon chicks come over for the "B" Stage!
Have to get out that tour prop from '75 to lure 'em in
11-22-02 03:55 PM
Boomhauer Well, someone at Shidoobee just said MGM in Vegas on 2-8-03 is going on sale tomorrow.

Have they always added dates on previous tours?

It makes me wonder if this is the last tour. OR maybe it's just the last big $$$$$$ tour (yeah right, these guys will not go any cheaper with ticket prices). Perhaps next time (if there will be a next time) they will only play smaller venues.
11-22-02 04:21 PM
glencar It's one week to what I hope is the best show ever. Plus it's my birthday. I want the Euros to buy me toys. I am American, after all.
11-22-02 04:22 PM
Nellcote Boom, seems that similar activity during No Security.
Don't look too much into it, with a last tour.
It's just the funk US economy is in, someone is guiding them to strike while the iron is hot, so as to assure sellouts. Vegas is a killer market, they could sell multiple nights there. As is San Jose.
In addition, I bet if there are still seats by the HBO special, that will force them sold out!

11-22-02 04:52 PM
Moonisup not much news I think

December will be bad!!!!!!!
11-22-02 04:56 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
Well, someone at Shidoobee just said MGM in Vegas on 2-8-03 is going on sale tomorrow.

Feb. 8, huh? Now THAT would be a damn good birthday present! Anyone want to pitch in? The "help Child of the Moon see his second Stones show on his b-day" fund? Just think... a dollar from each person here, and you could send me there! Dreams can come true, and it's within your power!
;-)
11-22-02 07:14 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hey, Moon Child!

Why not sell your reproductive issuances on eBay?

Or a kidney? The market's big on kidneys. One kidney might get you a seat in the back row of The Joint.

The fact that this, a tour on which many have said that they're making a comeback, is getting shot in the foot due to high ticket prices is inexcusable. Cohl or Kohl or whoever he is needs to realize - he can't go on like this. In fact, if he *really* wanted to make money, the next Stones tour (there *will* be one assuming all four of them are kickin' around) should feature the highest ticket price at $150. People will think it's a sale. 'Specially since McCartney's chargin' $250 for his best seats.

On a McCartney note - they've cut all the stage banter from Back In The U.S.! What wankers! That made the show! Yeah, it was completely scripted - but he's a damn good actor when it comes to keepin' it real for the audience each night.

Back to the Stones - with ticket prices cut and a Stones of this caliber, they could beat out Voodoo Lounge. Do several stadiums, arenas & clubs - but with many more double-hit stadiums, and a few more club shows to increase their profile. Yeah, I know, it's the whole 'if you paid for it, why're you complainin' thing - but honestly! $1000 for a ticket to The Joint? Sorry, guys, but if you ain't *sellin' out shows* with your quality of performance, it's not you - it's the economy, stupid. These prices need to go down down down if they don't want to be playin' to half-full amplitheatres at $600 a pop next time 'round.

-tSYX --- I can't turn ya loose!
11-22-02 07:14 PM
mick&keith 11-23
San Antonio, TX
11-26
Nashville, TN
11-29
Vegas...The Joint
11-30
Vegas...MGM Grand

then I think they are going to lay up for awhile. one of my favorite things about this band....they take those long holiday vacations!
[Edited by mick&keith]
11-22-02 07:48 PM
nankerphelge I met a guy in Logan airport the morning after the opener. He already had plans to see them in Vegas over Thanksgiving Day weekend. That's commitment -- seriously sinful behavior goin' on in Vegas anyway -- but then drop in the Stones -- and over T-day!

Good to see them dropping in some more dates in February.
Spread it out some.
Give us all time ta git some LOOT together!

Denver/San Jose or San Jose/Vegas would be a great 1-2
Hat trick maybe?
Big potential after the New Year.

11-22-02 08:12 PM
Nellcote TSYX,

Please, please do not compare what Macca does to the Stones. You are getting sucked in BIG TIME.

1. As your GOD Ronnie said, at the press conference, when
asked "Why are you charging so much more the McCartney?
His answer, "There are more of us than him, now isn't
there?"
2. You need to read more Stones books. The Stones, like
The Beatles, got absolutely robbed by there lack of
business acumen in the 60's, early 70's. They are not
about to now let the golden ring of profit slip by.
As Wyman is now saying, "since I left, the tours are
longer, they are making more money"
3. Who can blame them? They are the best money making
rock act ever. You need to read Fortune Magazine with
Mick & Keith on the cover. The tongue is going to go
right down with the swoosh, golden arches, Col. Saunders
in brand recognition.
4. Look at all the mouths to feed. Except Watts, each of
the other three have extended families to keep in
leather. All extravagant houses, multiple at that.
You don't do this in this century at $150 a pop.
If people will pay, they will play, business 101.

See you at the Fleet on 1/12/03. BTW, get a fake ID, get into Sully's we'll buy you a brewski!
11-22-02 08:40 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
TSYX,

Please, please do not compare what Macca does to the Stones. You are getting sucked in BIG TIME.

Awww. He's done some real crap, true. But some of his stuff's pretty damn good. How am I getting sucked in? It's true, the audience just isn't the same.
quote:

1. As your GOD Ronnie said, at the press conference, when
asked "Why are you charging so much more the McCartney?
His answer, "There are more of us than him, now isn't
there?"

And that's why Ronnie's the man. But I trust him as far as I can throw him in business proceedures.

Wait, he's pretty light.

I trust him as far as I can throw Mick Taylor in terms of business.
quote:

2. You need to read more Stones books. The Stones, like
The Beatles, got absolutely robbed by there lack of
business acumen in the 60's, early 70's. They are not
about to now let the golden ring of profit slip by.
As Wyman is now saying, "since I left, the tours are
longer, they are making more money"

Oh, I know they got hosed, both pre- and post- Klein. And I also know Voodoo Lounge is the highest-selling tour in America. And they did a wonderful job marketing it then. But now Virgin didn't market Forty Licks or Don't Stop and the economy's down. $350 bucks? It's a little much.
quote:

3. Who can blame them? They are the best money making
rock act ever. You need to read Fortune Magazine with
Mick & Keith on the cover. The tongue is going to go
right down with the swoosh, golden arches, Col. Saunders in brand recognition.

Again. It's awesome. I'm thrilled that they've marketed themselves so well in the 90s. But now, in nasty economic times, asking a massive amount for tickets like that just isn't gonna bring in sales. I'm not saying that with their status they don't command that sort of money. If I had that much, I'd spend it for a ticket. Problem is, I don't have that much - and neither do a lot of people to spend on tickets. I'm not saying that they're not worth every penny, I'm just saying it's leaving a lot of people out in the cold.
quote:

4. Look at all the mouths to feed. Except Watts, each of
the other three have extended families to keep in
leather. All extravagant houses, multiple at that.
You don't do this in this century at $150 a pop.
If people will pay, they will play, business 101.

That's true. It'll be interesting to see the final figures from this tour. Maybe not $150. $200-$250, like He-who-apparently-must-not-be-mentioned.
quote:

See you at the Fleet on 1/12/03. BTW, get a fake ID, get into Sully's we'll buy you a brewski!

Hahahaha! Do you think they'll let me in on surly looks alone? It'd suck to have to get a fake. Where is Sully's in relation to the Fleet?

And do they serve Guinness? I got a taste for that in Dublin when I was 12...

-tSYX --- Drink to me, drink to my health, you know I can't drink anymore...
11-22-02 08:56 PM
Nellcote Look, I do think this tour will not break any sales records, (SEE JB for data!). They could not care.
Get hold of that Fortune, it's all there.
Merchandising
World Tour, including China & India, both for the first time.

$350 too much, not when you consider what you are seeing.
They are getting the money, which means someone wants to pay it. It's not a down economy everywhere.

Sucked in that the Stones should charge less, because other acts are, or because Tom Petty says so.

Sully's is a clone of St. Mark's in NYC, where Waiting on A Friend video was filmed. Long bar, entrance on Canal St, walk right thru to the street on the other side. Guiness, are you kidding, you can bathe in it there. I think the bartenders are trained at the Durgin Park insult school. Met Stonesdoug there, lot of folks on this board there. Right across from the Fleet. It's wicked pissa!

If you have'nt already, go pick up that new Uncut, with Keith on the cover, great ariticle, great cd. Listening to the Clifton Chenier cut now, Ay-Te Te-Fee!

BTW, why all the quote copying in each reply, makes these posts go on forever?
11-22-02 10:11 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

BTW, why all the quote copying in each reply, makes these posts go on forever?

I thought it'd make things easier. It does take up lotsa space, though. Easier to read if you have what I'm referring to right there.

Sales records? Sell outs? Who cares! I just think it's a shame that they're playing so well and yet shooting themselves in the foot in terms of promotion, price, etc. They *should* be selling out. They *should* be breaking sales records. The fact that they aren't is a shame. Would I pay $350 to see them? Yes! If I had the money, I'd shell out the $1000 bucks to see them at the Joint, with the $450 or something for bargain round-trip airfare & the $200 for a two-night hotel stay at some Marriott off the strip somewhere. Fact is, I don't have that kind of money kicking around. And when the uneducated masses see that Tom Petty's sellin' cheap tickets, of course they're going to go "Hey, all ancient rock stars are created equal... what's up, Rolling Stones?"

Tom Petty... what a wanker. They shoulda never let him in the Travelling Wilburys.

Now, on to the subject of the Fleet...

...excellent! Assuming my father gets over the fact that I'd be going into Boston on a Sunday night (*gasp*) unaccompanied, I'll try and join you. My mother asked me what I'd like for Christmas... I gave her a page fulla stuff and at the bottom just wrote "and I'd trade all this in for a good seat to the Stones at the Fleet."

-tSYX --- Just my imagination...
11-22-02 11:46 PM
Boomhauer The merchandise ain't gettin' any cheaper, either!!!
[Edited by Boomhauer]
11-23-02 01:11 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! I don't think Tom Petty is a Wanker for preaching what he believes in. He's got some valid points really. There's no need in slacking him just because he doesn't agree with The Stones philosophy on business. The man can write some damn good tunes for sure.
11-23-02 07:41 AM
Nellcote TSXY;

As Jagger said recently, Virgin is in the throws of all the record industry, thus the lack of promo. Virgin also thinks the Stones sell themselves, which is correct.

Petty IS a Wilbury, hands down. Those five jelled beyond doubt. Saw Dylan & Petty together at Great Woods, before that came out, Dylan thrived off that band. Read Rolling Stone from a year ago, when Harrison passed, Petty is the first one who pays tribute to him. Met him in '74, when he was recording in LA. Petty is good at holding the cause, my take is that The Stones could not care what he thinks. Petty stood down record companies in the '80s, he is to be credited. I can hear the Stones laughing out loud at his stance about ticket prices though. Yet, if he was that concerned, you'd think he could have NOT attended the Wiltern show, gave his seat to a deserving fan. But, in the end, he could not resist, which is what happens to us all.
[Edited by Nellcote]
11-23-02 08:27 AM
Sir Stonesalot Why does everyone always mention the $350.00 ticket thing? True they were selling some tickets at that price, but the vast majority of tickets, in stadiums at least, were priced at $90.00. I sat in row 12 on a $90.00 ticket. That ain't bad. Theatre tickets, if you could score them, were at a face of $50.00. Are you kidding me? $50.00 to see the greatest band in the world play a THEATRE? To quote The Who, I call that a bargain...the best I ever had. The arenas are the gigs that hurt the pocketbook. The vast majority of arena tickets were $180.00. Ouch.

Sure, I wish every show was as cheap as the first show I saw in '89...$30.00 for row 5 dead center...But that just ain't happening. Best thing to do is just suck it up, save your scratch, and fucking go. Some things are just WORTH the money.
11-23-02 08:57 AM
Monkey Woman Amen, Sir Stonesalot!
Some things are just worth the price, and I'm saving right now for next year's European shows. Wonder how much those will be? Anyway, it's good to see that there are tickets for (nearly) all budgets in the US, even with 'all those mouths to feed'!
11-23-02 07:59 PM
luxury1 What is Mezcal? Am I missing something?
11-23-02 08:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Mezcal is a Mexican drink, is similar to Tequila but it is made from a different "Agave", Tequila is made from "Blue Agave" made only in the Baj�o zone in Mexico (States of Jalisco and Guanajuato) while mezcal is made from maguey in the state of Oaxaca.

Mezcal is the one with a worm inside the bottle, while tequila is never bottled with a worm inside

Another drink that is made from maguey is Pulque, but this has never been industrialized because the fermentation is not possible to control even with the state of the art biotechnology, so when it is bottled the fermentation may follow back and forth, also because it has hallucinogen effects due to the presence of some alkaloids.
11-23-02 08:52 PM
nankerphelge That is some good stuff to know.

I used to drink that damn Monte Alban with the worm.
Shit will fuck you up blind.

11-23-02 09:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
That is some good stuff to know.

That is some good stuff to drink
11-23-02 09:51 PM
parmeda The offer still stands...awaiting shipment, lol!

Page: 1 2