ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 Robert Altman

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The first Stones song you heard today was... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11-22-02 08:52 AM
Nellcote New Faces alt. version Stereo Rarities Vol. 4
11-22-02 09:22 AM
L&A I'm born in 1965, so it should be "Satisfaction"...
11-22-02 10:01 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Today it was our new friend, "Don't Stop".

Damn, I love that song.

-tSYX --- But I li *EDITED FOR TIME ALLOTTED*
11-22-02 04:42 PM
TT Today it was "Mother�s Little Helper". The first line prevents this song from its live debut, I guess.
11-22-02 04:44 PM
Moonisup the worst
11-22-02 04:48 PM
Child of the Moon Dance, Pt. 1, followed by the whole of Emotional Rescue. Next up is Still Life, then Steel Wheels.
11-22-02 05:03 PM
moy
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
the worst

lol moonisup, what did you do yesterday to start the day with that one?
11-22-02 05:20 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Still life followed by december's children
11-22-02 05:35 PM
Moonisup
quote:
moy wrote:

lol moonisup, what did you do yesterday to start the day with that one?

you don't want to know THAT!!

Had a fight with a lovely girl, my fault, I am loosing my touch!!
11-23-02 01:13 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Hang Fire
Brown Sugar
Not Fade Away - From Stripped

Local radio had a three for 3'clock
11-23-02 09:43 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Jumping Jack Flash
11-24-02 06:30 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Start me up (Tattoo You)
11-24-02 12:44 PM
Moonisup Sad sad sad, toronto 2002,
described my mood just fine, was drunk
11-24-02 02:42 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
wworried about you = el mocabo for fri 22

-high as akie - i'll thin i'l get me some:

In honor of this post, "Worried" at the El Macambo was the first song I listened to today.

God, Billy boy's bass on this song is gorgeous - so fluid, lyrical, melodic, unique.

After that, I was Crackin' Up -- Bo Diddley gets on the last flight to reggae city and the whole operation gets hijacked by a bunch of crazy British terrorists with loud guitars. . .

Absolutely brilliant.

11-24-02 02:49 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

God, Billy boy's bass on this song is gorgeous - so fluid, lyrical, melodic, unique.

it sure is - isn't it nasty - i wonder if max has heard it ? - he would love it??
11-24-02 03:02 PM
F505 Today: Shame Shame Shame (toronto 18-9-1997) in remembrance of Boudewijn Buch...
11-24-02 03:03 PM
Nasty Habits Surely Maxy has the El Macambo stuff that circulates -- SOMEONE must have sent that particular item in tribute to his highness by now.

Have you read Flippo's 70s book, On Tour with the Rolling Stones? It's quite enjoyable, and his account of this particular gig is very enjoyable. What I really found funny about the Flippo book is that it's obviously based on the style of writing developed by Larry Sloman in On Tour with Bob Dylan (the 1975 Rolling Thunder book -- new two CD "Bootleg Series" of '75 out Tuesday, btw), and there's a scene in On Tour w/Dylan where Flippo, in his editorial capacity at Rolling Stone, rags Sloman out for his "personal involvement " in his text! Too funny, the power games those music journalismos play w/each other.

11-24-02 03:28 PM
Moonisup
quote:
F505 wrote:
Today: Shame Shame Shame (toronto 18-9-1997) in remembrance of Boudewijn Buch...

yes
11-24-02 04:17 PM
stonedinaustralia [quote]Nasty Habits wrote:

Have you read Flippo's 70s book, On Tour with the Rolling Stones? It's quite enjoyable, and his account of this particular ig is very enjoyable.

> yes,i have and i will have another look at that gig review

Larry Sloman in On Tour with Bob Dylan (the 1975 Rolling Thunder book -- new two CD "Bootleg Series" of '75 out Tuesday, btw),

> i had that book once - do i understand you correctly - there is unreleased "rolling thunder" stuff about to see the light of day?? - fantabulous!!

btw nasty, thanks for quoting from the most drunken gibberish i have ever posted here - even if its substance was sound, the form was diabolical!!
11-24-02 04:29 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
[quote]Nasty Habits wrote:

> - do i understand you correctly - there is unreleased "rolling thunder" stuff about to see the light of day??

You comprehend my meaningful gist. Tuesday out comes two CDs of Dylan and the Revue from 1975. Much seems to be from the Boston gig, but there are performances from that entire wonderful east coast bus raid. Complete details are over there at bobdylan.com. Now, I slightly prefer the '76 Rolling Thunder shows to the '75 Rolling Thunder shows because I like decay, dissolution and despair in my live music, and I STILL think that HARD RAIN is in desperate need of a remaster and an upgrade with about seven, eight, nine bonus cuts (Pity the Poor Immigrant, Railroad Boy, the laconic Hard Rain's Gonna Fall from the "rain" show, Deportee, hell, the whole of the Baez set, that crazy Vincent Van Gough song), but this Rolling Thunder double should be the business - first ever officially released live Hurricane alone should be worth the jack. Nothing like Rolling Thunder, man. '75-'76 was one year Dylan trounced the Stones but good live.

11-24-02 04:41 PM
stonedinaustralia i agree nasty - it was (along with "punk" explosion)the last hurrah for rock and roll as a riotous, freewheelin circus - before the corporate types really got their hooks into it

i loved the tv special - and yes esp. "deportees", "railroad boy" and that version of "hard rain"

what is the major difference between '75 & '76 - is it personell or simply "the vibe"

thanks

m

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-24-02 05:14 PM
Nasty Habits Basically what it comes down to is setlists and what they "mean" - virtually no Blood on the Tracks in '75 - a very celebratory atmosphere, a real triumphant discovery of possibility and hope - the vibe is very hippie, creative and totally rockin', very focused on Desire and the communal vibe of the RTR and the potential "neverendingness" of it all. Whereas '76, after the initial revue "ended" is the band expanding from the east coast, playing to often half empty arenas, and Dylan's marriage was absolutely, positively over. No one liked Renaldo and Clara, and the whole thing was a bitter, brutal mess, reflected in the setlists and performances, which had LOADS of Blood in them. IDIOT WIND in '76 is one the most howling, scary Dylan performances, his slide guitar on "Shelter from the Storm" is pure musical anarchy, and stuff like "Pity the Poor Immigrant" is just gonzo oddball wild weirdness - who knows why they decided to play it like a calypso rocker with the drummer on piano? Dylan retreats deeply into his music, and his voice is rarely more expressive - dig that version of "One Too Many Mornings" on Hard Rain. Also lots of in-concert lyrical improvs, usually brought on by mistakes ("Every time you move past my door you leave me standing in the middle of the air!") and a generally apocalyptic vibe, which is what I like in my live music - I prefer it when live music sounds like it could be the last concert anyone ever hears, summing the entire tragedy of human existence up nicely. Kind of like the sound of the Stones in '69.

11-24-02 06:58 PM
stonedinaustralia [quote]Nasty Habits wrote:
IDIOT WIND in '76 is one the most howling, scary Dylan performances,

> oh yes, the vitriol is almost palpable

and a generally apocalyptic vibe, which is what I like in my live music - I prefer it when live music sounds like it could be the last concert anyone ever hears, summing the entire tragedy of human existence up nicely. Kind of like the sound of the Stones in '69.

> what nasty said

Page: 1 2 3 4